New image editing device for LR - Loupedeck

Yes, maybe whatever gear you tried wasn't well matched to Lightroom. We found we needed analogue inputs to be right and balanced for the productivity benefit to kick in.

(PS Haven't seen the word 'hectical' for a few hundred years, might have to start using it though).
Working with non English people, I occasionally heard them say things like "do it in an automatical way". I realised they'd added 'al' to make it an adjective. As we do with, say, tactic, strategic, economic, physic and hypocritic etc. But we don't do that with some words, like hectic, pathetic, sarcastic, poetic, automatic, specific, and many more. For some reason these words are OK to make into an adverb by adding 'ally' like hectically, automatically, rhetorically, ballistically, analytically, astronomically, surgically, theatrically.
So I decided it would be amusing to start using these, corrected adjectives.

You may think that's pathetical. But then you're probably being sarcastical!

Last edited:
I assume this is a USB device (fine) but how would it communicate with Lightroom controlling the correct knobs and sliders? that seems impossible to work, no? Or am i missing something?

IMO I think this device is a great idea! I can see this making my life a lot easier however for that price... hmmm I'd be looking at a hefty chunk contributing towards my next lens, camera, Peli Case or a several GB External Hard Drive. They seem to make more sense purchasing (n)
You also need something like the PFixer software which works as the interface between the midi controller and Lightroom.
I've just purchased one of the Arturia controllers so we'll see how it goes!

Folks,

Interesting looking device.....

Loupedeck

yxn4s4m9ahyvzdilsigw.jpg
Looking at the OP picture, they have positioned the device just for show, probably. As if you will be operating it with 2 hands and exclusively. In reality you'd probably want the device alongside the keyboard and have one hand on a mouse or tablet, and the other flitting between the keyboard and the device. It's a very wide device, so also not ideal to have it at the side. And would need larger hand movements. Many of the proven devices available today are based around a single hand position. With F keys at your finger tips and all dials, track pads and track balls within reach, hardly moving your hand.
41%2B8EasUShL._SY400_.jpg

Last edited:
I assume this is a USB device (fine) but how would it communicate with Lightroom controlling the correct knobs and sliders? that seems impossible to work, no? Or am i missing something...

You use PFixer which integrates the two, its £100.

I do like the idea and it presumably would make editing far easier to have a range of tools on a keyboard rather than selecting and adjusting. They have a version working but chose not to show it in action in that video. I wonder why?

This is the bit that worries me - "where contributors can donate €229/$249 for a chance at receiving one of the first units if/when they start shipping". I have been burnt Kickstarter before.

As you say same with every Kickstarter, they have to use wording like this. Here is a chance it won't happen, but no reason why it shouldn't be shipped. Just wait until it's on general release and pay full price, or give it 6 months and get it for a discount - prices will fall. Hopefully it will encourage more companies to make something, which can only be a good thing.

It snow at 300% of original goal in 10 days and has another 20 to go. Sure it's not for everyone, but all those willing to spend that much with no guarantee of it arriving must feel they have a use and need for it.

Seems to be much less functional and more expensive than a midi conrtroller. I don't get the appeal personally.

Am I missing something?

Not much more expensive, and no programming or setup to do. The difference is it's a dedicated device, labelled and ready to go, rather than a controller full of knobs and sliders than you assign and mark up and need to remember where they all are.

I find it slightly odd that people willing to spend several hundred on the tiniest upgrade of a lens and several thousand on a few lenses that a device costing a £300 is so devisive. I guess it's like anything new, people don't like to do things differently.

I'm glad we don't have to hand crank our cars in the morning - I mean that worked well but what a pain that was!

Im quite looking forward to when its on sale, plug and play much easier, well for me (y)

Not much more expensive, and no programming or setup to do. The difference is it's a dedicated device, labelled and ready to go, rather than a controller full of knobs and sliders than you assign and mark up and need to remember where they all are.

I find it slightly odd that people willing to spend several hundred on the tiniest upgrade of a lens and several thousand on a few lenses that a device costing a £300 is so devisive. I guess it's like anything new, people don't like to do things differently.

I'm glad we don't have to hand crank our cars in the morning - I mean that worked well but what a pain that was!

Have you tried a midi controller?

It takes 5 minutes to setup, and slightly longer if you want way more functionality that what this offers. All for at least 50% of the price of the Loupedeck.

It's a no brainer.

Its not that its new. But, looking at it it doesn't offer anything like the functionality a midi controller already does.

Have you tried a midi controller?

It takes 5 minutes to setup, and slightly longer if you want way more functionality that what this offers. All for at least 50% of the price of the Loupedeck.

It's a no brainer.

Not for Lightroom but for music and video yes. They are multipurpose so they are not designed for the task you assign it to, so no labels, layout isn't ergonomic for the task etc, but they do the job. It's a different type of device though.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works.... But do any of you use a Wacom or another make Graphics pen/tablet to edit your pictures? Would you think that this Loupedeck could be more convenient albeit at the moment maybe dearer in price??

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works.... But do any of you use a Wacom or another make Graphics pen/tablet to edit your pictures? Would you think that this Loupedeck could be more convenient albeit at the moment maybe dearer in price??
I use a graphics tablet to make analogue brush strokes more naturally than with a mouse. Not for productivity. This device would make slider inputs more productive and lessens your hand muscle tension over long periods. But I only edit pictures once or twice a week and don't need such productivity.

so..sorry to bump an oldish thread - but did anyone end up getting one of these? If it was £150, i'd buy it in a heartbeat but the price is rather high. I suspect I'd really like it but not quite sure i can justify it.

Any thoughts?

I've got one arriving tomorrow folks so shall put it through its paces with a wedding i'm shooting on saturday :)

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Loupedeck Rowan. I like the idea of the device, but as a casual user, the cost is putting me off, so it would be good to hear a real user experience.

Chris

Not for Lightroom but for music and video yes. They are multipurpose so they are not designed for the task you assign it to, so no labels, layout isn't ergonomic for the task etc, but they do the job. It's a different type of device though.

Indeed, it's a cheaper and more intuitive device.

I've played with the Loupedeck, they're alright.

Much prefer my Behringer BCF2000 though. The sliders move to match the position they are on the image, so I can see what I'm adjusting from/to meaning I can edit in full screen mode as I don't need to see any of the controls on screen

Back