New jacket time again

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
Im starting my search for another new jacket. It needs to be for winter..Jacket must be weaterproof, warm enough for sitting in the cold for hours, strong enough not to tear etc when im crawling along the ground, needs to have a hood, must be under £200.. This is needed for wildlife photography over the winter.....Any ideas...

Sounds like my old Barbour Beaufort with hood and winter fleece lining

Not sure it would be under 200 quid now, pretty close though I reckon and would do all you wanted

Last edited:
I have an animal snow jacket I got which has all the bits and pieces I wanted on it
but for what you need I'd add a gilet as a base layer
also some ripstop stuff might be be handy for you!

I bought one from Yomans outdoor shop 3 years ago. Its waterproof has kept me dry and warm allday severel times. I has top inner half lined with nylon fleece. I use it winter for walking,fishing,photography. Cost me £30.

Try and get a gore tex coat and 'wind stopper'fleece combo. The goretex is the best waterproof you can buy as its breathable too. If you can breathe through the windstopper it's not a wind stopper. Put your mouth up to it with your hand on the other side, and blow - you shouldn't be able to feel it. Should be able to pick both up for under £200- try blacks or go outdoors.

Sounds like my old Barbour Beaufort with hood and winter fleece lining

Not sure it would be under 200 quid now, pretty close though I reckon and would do all you wanted

Quite possible if you shop around a bit and haggle ... I paid £140 for a green Barbour Border this summer - albeit not with hood or lining.

Have a look at Paramo - you might find one for under £200 - waterproof, windproof, warm, quiet, breatheable, though if you are sitting still for any length of time in the winter you will still need plenty of layers.

Dave

Have a look at Paramo - you might find one for under £200 - waterproof, windproof, warm, quiet, breatheable, though if you are sitting still for any length of time in the winter you will still need plenty of layers.

Dave

yep i'd look at Paramo too, superb for wind and rain protection, good luck

Yeah, my friend swears by Paramo. Shame they don't make anything large enough for normal people :-(

Mark. Stop messing with flimsy overpriced stuff and get what the stalkers, keepers and woodmen wear. Seelander gamekeeper jackets, superb kit that will stand up to hardships and torment. Keep you dry as well.

Cheers for the replies folks and i will look through all the suggestions when i get home.

Ade, are you speaking from experience with Sealand, if so which model of jacket is it?

Sealand Keepers Jacket, and yes, I have one, great bit of kit.

http://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk...uct/?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=organic

First link I found, Google it Mark, plenty of places sell them.Be best if you go and look at one in the flesh though,see if you like it.

Main front pockets have drain holes and can be clipped open,hand pockets are fleece lined, two pockets on the zipline, two internal pockets and a huge one around the back. The hood pops on and off and there is a visible hi viz orange peice around the collar that can be visible or not.Adjustable cuffs and hood.Reinforced elbows and shoulders.

Can`t think of anything else.

Oh yeah, comes with an attached emergency whistle................:naughty:

Have a look at some decent Army surplus gear,a lot cheaper than some of the fashionable stuff,and quality has got to be good.

Have a look at Hardy / Greys fishing tackle manufacturer site.

I bought a Greys GRX jacket about 6 years ago which would probably fit the bill.

Olive green in colour, with hood, 3/4 length - definitely waterproof I use it for wading whilst fishing.

Warm but breathable. lots of pockets, D rings etc.

Cost to me at the factory shop in Alnwick was about £100.00.

I've got a green Trespass jacket that doesn't let wind or water through. It's pretty warm, too much so at times, with a sweatshirt underneath. Nice and toasty at -10 with about 2 foot of snow at Kendal castle a couple of years ago. Cost about £30 from the outlet shop at Fleetwood Freeport.

Wear some gaiters as well Mark,keep the bloody tics out of your pants.

Yep, that would work, I just hate over trousers.

Got one right in the back of my knee on the tendon, bugger was deep in, ended up cutting it out with a filleting knife.

Back