New Kit

Name
Gerald Davies
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to upgrade my Camera to either a Canon 40d or 450D. Any comments on pro's and cons to each camera?

I'm also looking for the following lenses. As any used them? If so what do you think of them?

Canon EF 24-105mm f4 L IS USM Lens for general purpose/walk about.

I was looking for one of these 2 lenses for landsscapes.

Canon EF 17-40mm f4 L USM Lens
or Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens.

Any pros cons of the above lenses?

Also all of the are 77mm lenses and will they work without any vignetting with cokin p series filters?

Thanks

Gerald

I have just upgraded from a 400d to a 40d with a brand new 24-105 L lens and they are both superb pieces of kits. Well worth the money and probebly my best buys of this year.

I have the Canon 17-40L and use it on the 40D. It's an excellent lens giving good sharp images with excellent colour saturation, and the constant f4 aperture is nice. It also enables pretty good close up shots of stuff like flowers and butterflies, so a it's useful lens, and one of the more affordable L lenses. I'd recommend it. I have no idea about the vignetting with Cokin filters... sorry.

EDIT

The 17-40L is also weather sealed - not all L lenses are.

Cheers all, everyone is quoting the 40D is there any reason why?

Cheers stan on the vignetting

Changed to the 40D this year from the 350D, the differance is great, the 350 was good, but the 40 is far better, feels well put together, can't see I'll need to change for a while, and for the price you can get the 40D for currently and cash back well worth it.

Cheers all, everyone is quoting the 40D is there any reason why?

Loads of reasons, but any other preferred choice would be just unrealistic - the 40D is the far better camera, better build quality, new digic 3 processor, better performance at high ISO, spot metering, faster AF system, better frame rate and buffering, just to name a few of the improvements.

the 24-105 is a really nice lens - i have two (not for sale) and your'e just down the road from me in Neath ~5miles - so you can pop over to try one if you want - pm me if interested.

40D

And consider the 17-55 EFS IS f2.8
Generally rated better than the 17-40 f4 for IQ except it doesnt have the L badge (nor the some of the build quality)

the 24-105 is a really nice lens - i have two (not for sale) and your'e just down the road from me in Neath ~5miles - so you can pop over to try one if you want - pm me if interested.

Cheers Sportysnaps, PM Sent

Stan, sharing equipment :thinking: sounds like a good idea. :LOL:

Cheers CT, just been reading reviews, heads spinning a bit now. And they all unsurprisingly confirm what you are saying.

Next question. How well weather sealed is the 40D?

Next question. How well weather sealed is the 40D?

Its got foamy inserts on all the doors. Should keep out a rainstorm (I've proven it does on mine), but I wouldnt want to take it swimming or in the shower, even with a weather sealed L lens

Its got foamy inserts on all the doors. Should keep out a rainstorm (I've proven it does on mine), but I wouldnt want to take it swimming or in the shower, even with a weather sealed L lens

Cheers for that Oldgit. I'm checking out the lens you mentioned as well

I did this review just after I got the 40D. May help you.

CLICK

Looks like I'm going to buy sooner rather than later. My Oly e500 give up the ghost yesterday :crying:. Spoke to a local oly dealer and he reckons £100 to repair and the bodies only worth that 2nd hand. Is it worth repairing? I'm don't think so as theres no value in it for me.

looks like I'll be selling the oly lens and batteries and filters of soon:thumbsdown:. Maybe get the 100 - 400 L :love: from canon as I was looking to keep this camera for the 70 - 300 lens and the sale will reduce the cost by about £300.

Gerald

As I need a reasonably long lens now, as any used this lens - Canon EF 100-300mm f4.5 USM Lens. If what are your thoughts.

Cheers

Gerald

Back