New Kodak Portra 160

I was really hoping they would keep the VC and NC versions of Portra 160 as I love the VC version as a general purpose film with the increased contrast and saturation.
Now theres going to be essentially no colour neg film from Kodak with a balance of saturation and contrast as they are all either low contrast and low to mid saturation like the old NC or high contrast, very high saturation like Ektar. In essence all they've done is ditch the VC version and only offer NC.

I'm sure it'll be very good like the new Portra 400 but it would be nice if they still did a film inbetween Portra and Ektar.

The saturation is the same as the old 160NC BTW Liam, look at the comparison chart here:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/portra/160QA.jhtml?pq-path=2301065

These new films appear derived from their motion picture Vision film technology. And with a figital work flow, I'd think a film that renders middle of the road gives you the latitude in an image editor to make your color just as vivid or natural as you want, no?

In light of Kodak's financial issues, reducing the nuance choice of VC or NC might be a necessary step to keep film production going.

Last edited:
I shot a couple of rolls of the new Portra 160 in120 two weeks ago portraits of a four years old boy, and on a 20"X16" print I had enlarged for his parents there is no perceptible grain and the skin tones are superb, my clients were knocked out with them.
Thanks big yellow father in Rochester N.Y, this film is spectacular.

Last edited:
Interesting, I wonder how it compares to new Portra 400 - an absolutely lovely film.

You don't need to, it's that good and a no brainer ;)

Haven't seen a film this good since I first used Fuji super G800 about 15 years ago, that film did things that were impossible before, like shooting at 3200 without any increase in dev time :)

You don't need to, it's that good and a no brainer ;)

Haven't seen a film this good since I first used Fuji super G800 about 15 years ago, that film did things that were impossible before, like shooting at 3200 without any increase in dev time :)

I've bought a bunch already :) Just haven't shot it yet. Will use it on my next model agency test

Back