New Kodak Super 8 Camera/Processing

I've had a closer look at the reports regarding the new super 8 camera and what is particularly intriguing to me is that it seems Kodak is looking to develop a system around this to not only offer a telecined digital file with their Super 8 processing, but also a developed print for projection. If Kodak can make it easy to get a digital file and a print from their colour negative stocks for a reasonable sum, then I'd definitely be looking to jump into this. I can only hope they bring such services to the UK.

Already available in the uk from these people. Colour reversal or B&W with process and scan....

http://www.gaugefilm.co.uk/store/c2/Reversal_Film___Process___Scan.html

I am fairly sure my exposures will be right but what if the photo is garbage? I am not showing garbage to the world and believe me, many of my frames are never going to see the light of day. My keeper rate is much higher with digital but if there's something I really don't like, there's no way I would use it.

Well garbage is subjective and anyone can take crappy shots, and most of mine are correctly exposed etc but I like them (mainly records shots and family) but would be considered boring and rubbish if I posted them.

Is that 10-30 minutes of film for 1 minute of final cut?
Pretty much, bearing in mind most scenes will be shot from many different angles with numerous takes, and that's just the takes when the actors got it right.

Last edited:
Same folk:

http://www.gaugefilm.co.uk/store/c11/Negative_Film___Process___Scan.html

Interesting to see TriX listed as a reversal film on Gareth's link, though!

Yes, but they're not offering a print for projection. That's just processing and digitising. You can't really project a negative; you need a positive print.

I think Kodak is recognising people want the flexibility to both go old school (i.e., project a print) and also be engaged in 21st century technology (i.e., share or edit the digitised movie file).

Last edited:
That's reversal film though. There isn't anyone that I'm aware of offering an economical service for processing, digitising, and printing a positive from your colour negative movie film all in one go, which it seems Kodak is proposing to do.

Yeah but you could project the reversal film. Or is it specifically a print from colour negative you wish to project?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but they're not offering a print for projection. That's just processing and digitising. You can't really project a negative; you need a positive print.

I think Kodak is recognising people want the flexibility to both go old school (i.e., project a print) and also be engaged in 21st century technology (i.e., share or edit the digitised movie file).

Kodak have probably just noticed a way of selling twice as much film.

Yeah but you could project the reversal film. Or is it specifically a print from colour negative you wish to project?

As in still photography, colour negative offers greater latitude, dynamic range, and better colour (in my opinion anyway) than reversal film. As far as I'm aware, colour negative is also much better for telecining and editing digitally because it retains much more detail in the shadows and highlights.

Basically, colour negative gives you far more flexibility to work using both traditional and modern methods, which would be very important to me.

As in still photography, colour negative offers greater latitude, dynamic range, and better colour (in my opinion anyway) than reversal film. As far as I'm aware, colour negative is also much better for telecining and editing digitally because it retains much more detail in the shadows and highlights.

Basically, colour negative gives you far more flexibility to work using both traditional and modern methods, which would be very important to me.

I see! Of course I knew that with regards to still imaging and assumed it would be the same of course with regards to latitude etc but think I am gonna have a go with colour reversal on my upcoming ski trip. When I got this Super 8 camera, it came with a projector so it would be ace to shoot and project. Just hope my first effort isn't too abysmal.

Reversal movie film was for the amateur market where the film you ran through the camera is the film you run through the projector.

If you are making a Hollywood movie, you woud be using negative film and the final product would be a positive contact printed from the negative - with quite a few reversal and editing stages in between.

Steve.

the design looks like its from 2001 a space odyssey.

..and probably a modern plastic fantastic, but who thought of calling it a "Brownie" maybe they thought the older generation would go back to cine film.
Anyway not for me but hope it's a great success as anything that encourages film use gets the thumbs up from me.

..and probably a modern plastic fantastic, but who thought of calling it a "Brownie" maybe they thought the older generation would go back to cine film.
Anyway not for me but hope it's a great success as anything that encourages film use gets the thumbs up from me.

What? No one is calling it a Brownie. :thinking:

Kodak do mention the Brownie camera on their site, along with the Instamatic and original Super 8 cameras, but only to highlight their previous camera-making pedigree over the last century.

Last edited:
What? No one is calling it a Brownie. :thinking:

Kodak do mention the Brownie camera on their site, along with the Instamatic and original Super 8 cameras, but only to highlight their previous camera-making pedigree over the last century.

H'mm Oh well...the page introduction is a bit confusing when it says:-

Designed for Creating

Brownie. Instamatic. Super 8.

For over a century, Kodak has designed cameras that inspire people everywhere to create.

Dunno as I've never been interested in cine cameras although my father had a few different ones..the last one he had, that was left to me, was a Yashica and althought the pic says Canon is was very similar......where is my Yashica? erm I have no idea probably in some cupboard somewhere. :(

canon-reflex-zoom-8-3-8mm-camera-cine-lens-c-8-85-425mm-f-14-grip-case-xlnt.jpg

Is that 10-30 minutes of film for 1 minute of final cut?

Heard a snippet of an interview with one of the stars of the latest Tarrantino film and he said that after every 100th reel, they had a party. According to Wiki, a reel is 11 minutes of footage ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reel )

At a guess, a 10 - 30 : 1 ratio shot/final cut is about right once several takes and the little bits before "ACTION!" and after "CUT!" are taken into account - might even be closer to 50 : 1!

Heard a snippet of an interview with one of the stars of the latest Tarrantino film and he said that after every 100th reel, they had a party. According to Wiki, a reel is 11 minutes of footage ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reel )

At a guess, a 10 - 30 : 1 ratio shot/final cut is about right once several takes and the little bits before "ACTION!" and after "CUT!" are taken into account - might even be closer to 50 : 1!

11minutes is the standard length of a 35mm reel. That Wiki article doesn't seem to mention the 65mm film that the Hateful Eight was shot on. :)

I wish my Super 8 camera was working for when we went to Iceland. I reckon that would have looked pretty awesome. :)

It's mostly budget related, that desire for 'one more take' has producers gnashing their teeth and screaming "there's no more money!"

H'mm Oh well...the page introduction is a bit confusing when it says:-

Brownie. Instamatic. Super 8.

For over a century, Kodak has designed cameras that inspire people everywhere to create.

I'm not quite sure where the confusion is. :thinking:

Kodak is highlighting that they've designed numerous cameras over the past 100 years, which have afforded new and revolutionary—at the time—opportunities for creating both photographic and motion picture content. These cameras include the Brownie, Instamatic, and original Super 8.

They're basically just highlighting their camera-making pedigree over the years.

Dunno as I've never been interested in cine cameras although my father had a few different ones..

Only the Super 8 camera is a cine camera though. Surely you recognise the Brownie and Instamatic as two of Kodak's still photography cameras?

Apparently only one lab in the entire world is currently offering positive prints from Super 8 colour negatives: http://www.andecfilm.de/en/e_s8_neg_pos.htm

I didn't believe this at first, but further research on the internet seems to back up that assertion.

Either few people want to project their colour negatives or this is a market waiting to be tapped? Kodak did say that they wanted to offer both a digital copy and positive print with their processing as part of their new Super 8 'ecosystem'...

Negative Super 8 was never particularly popular especially in the consumer market as it was more expensive that reversal film. A lot of Super 8 was supplied as process paid like Kodachrome.

Negative Super 8 was never particularly popular especially in the consumer market as it was more expensive that reversal film. A lot of Super 8 was supplied as process paid like Kodachrome.

I understand that, traditionally, reversal film was king, but it's simply not that way anymore. In fact, Kodak doesn't even make any colour reversal film stocks for super 8.

I'm not quite sure where the confusion is. :thinking:

Kodak is highlighting that they've designed numerous cameras over the past 100 years, which have afforded new and revolutionary—at the time—opportunities for creating both photographic and motion picture content. These cameras include the Brownie, Instamatic, and original Super 8.

They're basically just highlighting their camera-making pedigree over the years.

Only the Super 8 camera is a cine camera though. Surely you recognise the Brownie and Instamatic as two of Kodak's still photography cameras?

Sure I remenber Brownie and Instamatic still cameras but all I can remember about cine was standard and super 8.....and plenty of my father bad cine shots :eek: AAMOI for those taking up cine is to be careful when panning a scene as panning too quickly (like my father) and the results are terrible.

Hi folks, for what it is worth Kodak did sell Brownie 8mm movie camera in the olden days...;)

They did label a couple of standard 8 cameras as "Brownie" in the 1950's, I've got one of them with a triple set of lenses in a turret. I brought it for a couple of pounds at a car boot and it seemed to almost work apart from some of the lubricants being gummed up with age (the clockwork mechanism wound and fired, it counted up etc, but some other parts that were supposed to move would only with difficulty). Unfortunately when I dismantled it to loosen some of the parts I managed to accidentally unscrew the spring in the clockwork mechanism, which resulted in a violent "twang" and despite me trying to repair it I was never able to and gave up in the end; I've got it on a shelf somehwere back at my parents house.

Hi folks, for what it is worth Kodak did sell Brownie 8mm movie camera in the olden days...;)
They did label a couple of standard 8 cameras as "Brownie" in the 1950's, I've got one of them with a triple set of lenses in a turret. I brought it for a couple of pounds at a car boot and it seemed to almost work apart from some of the lubricants being gummed up with age (the clockwork mechanism wound and fired, it counted up etc, but some other parts that were supposed to move would only with difficulty). Unfortunately when I dismantled it to loosen some of the parts I managed to accidentally unscrew the spring in the clockwork mechanism, which resulted in a violent "twang" and despite me trying to repair it I was never able to and gave up in the end; I've got it on a shelf somehwere back at my parents house.

Actually, it seems that there might have been some 8mm cine cameras that Kodak called Instamatic as well, so it appears that Kodak applied the Brownie and Instamatic names to both their still photography and cine offerings.

Last edited:
Surely you recognise the Brownie and Instamatic as two of Kodak's still photography cameras?

The Brownie name was applied to a lot of camera models. The name was supposed to be attractive to children.

Also the Bronica name is a contraction of BROwNIeCAmera.

Steve.

Last edited:
The Brownie name was applied to a lot of camera models. The name was supposed to be attractive to children.

Also the Bronica name is a contraction of BROwNICAmera.

Steve.
That's impressive fully anoraked up knowledge, I tip my cap to you.

Well box Brownies were used by grown ups quite a lot (when I was a kid) because that's all they could afford. But growning up I was never attracted to them...so I was a child that was different :D

Also the Bronica name is a contraction of BROwNIeCAmera.

Steve.

While we're on the subject, I found out yesterday that the F in Nikon F1 (etc) stands for the F in ReFlex, and not for "Film". Of course, on reflection, it would have made no sense at all for it to stand for "film", given that there were no other options at the time, so I felt a bit silly. (They chose the F, not the R, for Japanese-pronunciation issues)

Back