New Laptop help

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m looking to buy a new laptop and I’m looking for some help in choosing one.
I want a laptop that will run Photoshop elements, HDR software and Lightroom and handle them well.
My price would be about £1k topps. I’m just not sure what to go for i5, i7? 4gb, 8gb, 32bit or 64bit????????? And I don’ have the first clue about graphics cards.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Yeah that was what I was looking at but just not sure what those programmes require.

Does anyone have any recomendations? I currently have an HP (much lower spec) and it's been fine. Previously had a sony. I don't want to pay a premium juist for a name though, it's the hardware and software I'm interested in.

Thanks

A laptop is more likely to fail than a desktop due to portability, I personally would buy a branded laptop so I know it will last. Dell, HP, Lenovo (my preference), toshiba or ASUS.

Also have a think about size, do you want a 15" big laptop or a 12/13" more portable laptop.

Graphic cards don't really come into it when doing stuff within Windows.

Any recomendations on actual Laptop?
I was looking at the HP Solaris range.

There's a dell on hotukdeals that they seem to be getting excited about.

i7 processor with 6GB memory, 750GB hard drive and 2GB dedicated graphics.

No idea if it is a great deal or not as I don't know dell that well.

Looks good!

A new computer with the Home version of Windows 8 (as opposed to the Pro version) won't have the ability to downgrade to Windows 7. (If you like Windows 8 this may not be an issue, of course.) See http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-is-a-one-way-street-for-consumer-pc-users-7000007136/

If your budget is £1k then you should be able to get i7 with 8 GB RAM. Definitely go 64-Bit. And go for Windows 7 Pro, unless you've seen 8 and you like it. M$ are selling upgrades very cheaply as they know it will prove unpopular.

I've had some issues with Lenovo laptops as the ribbon which connects the keyboard to the screen lies immediately underneath the keyboard - and gets damaged easily causing weird screen problems.

HP are known for building in obsolescence into their hardware, i.e. printers, scanners etc that won't work with newer versions of Windows. Not completely on topic for this thread, but shows that they aren't to be trusted with your hard earned cash.

I am a big fan of Samsung laptops which seem to be very well built at a good price.

Last edited:
HP are known for building in obsolescence into their hardware, i.e. printers, scanners etc that won't work with newer versions of Windows. Not completely on topic for this thread, but shows that they aren't to be trusted with your hard earned cash.

Trust me all companies do this.

We have a pile of scanners and printers that don't work with 64bit or don't work with Windows 7, from a number of companies. They design a product and build a product to work with the operating systems available at the time of release and also any operating systems released while it was a current product. Once it is not a current product, no development happens.

Windows 7 actually changed a lot of this, the built in drivers cover most printers that were available. Scanners are a different matter. The drivers from most companies suck and they all decided to use the built in Windows 7 scanning function and drivers. We now have a pile of Epson, Canon that cannot be used. We have a Multifunction laser printer that can't be used for scanning as it always comes out too light. It was 4 years old though when Windows 7 was released, so not really surprised it wasn't supported

There will/should be no driver issue going from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

Have a look at the dell outlet (http://www.dell.co.uk/outlet) for some amazing offers on cancelled orders etc. Picked up a Dell Latitude E6420 with 1600x900 screen, quad core mobile processor, 8gb ram and 3yrs onsite next business day warranty for about £600 inc VAT and delivery. If you're prepared to wait you can normally find an amazing spec at under half price with dell warranty.

Back