New Lee Filters holder to debut at The Photography Show?

Picked up the new 100 holder and the polariser adapter at the show today £110 with Srs......absolutely no way my landscape polariser will screw into the adapter and that’s the specific one it’s designed for....hoping it’s just a faulty one....other than that the quick fit idea looks a good one and nice circular case for the holder and polariser with it. The filter holder has a 3 stop locking function but found the one where the holder is locked to the adapter ring but should still turn quite stiff to the point where I unscrewed the adapter ring from the lens....tried this on two different adapter rings....not too bothered about this as I would probably unlock adjust and re lock if necessary. All in all nicely presented and some advantages over the old one especially if you use a polariser but that’s provided I can get it all functioning....thinking the polariser adapter will need to be replaced.....

P,ease keep us posted. I also have the landscape CPL and was thinking up buying the new holder too.

I bought one at the Photography Show and I'm pretty pleased with it. My 105mm Heliopan Slim C-PL fits on the front adapter which clips in and out of the holder so it snaps on and off quickly without the faff of screwing it on to the ring. It also fits nicely into my field pouch. My main reason for buying it is the locking mechanism - my old one has never fallen off but it's always been a concern.

I purchased one at the show and the system is much better.. however... I purchased the adaptor ring to use my current Landscape CPL and was told that there would be no vignetting at 16mm.

With the old system (using 2 slots and a CPL) I had the smallest amount of vignetting at 16mm (full frame) in the upper corners which was easy to edit out. However with this system the vignetting is terrible and only stops at 20mm.

I'm going to email Lee about it as this is completely different to what they told me at the show.

Shame as the system works great and the polariser is easy/quick to put on and take off.

I purchased one at the show and the system is much better.. however... I purchased the adaptor ring to use my current Landscape CPL and was told that there would be no vignetting at 16mm.

Wouldn't it depend on how deep your current CPL is?

With the old system (using 2 slots and a CPL) I had the smallest amount of vignetting at 16mm (full frame) in the upper corners which was easy to edit out. However with this system the vignetting is terrible and only stops at 20mm.

I'm going to email Lee about it as this is completely different to what they told me at the show.

Shame as the system works great and the polariser is easy/quick to put on and take off.

I didn’t ask that question as assumed would be “as good as” if not better.......can’t try out mine at the moment but let us know what they say...

A quick comparison shows the polarised adapter is further away from the lens on the new set up...by about the same width again as the ring....I would imagine that this would increase the issue.......20190324_150622.jpeg

A quick comparison shows the polarised adapter is further away from the lens on the new set up...by about the same width again as the ring....I would imagine that this would increase the issue.......View attachment 240513

Thanks, that could be the issue.

Either way I'm not happy as I was told something different at the show. So basically I've gone from a system that was usable at 16mm to one that is certainly not usable.

I'll try to post some comparisons shots later/tomorrow.

A quick comparison shows the polarised adapter is further away from the lens on the new set up...by about the same width again as the ring....I would imagine that this would increase the issue.......View attachment 240513

I've also just ordered one, and if this is the case, it's going straight back. That's not what's been advertised.

I've never noticed any vignetting at 16mm. Do you have a wide angle ring?

I've never noticed any vignetting at 16mm. Do you have a wide angle ring?

Yeah I use the Lee W/A ring.. below sample at 16mm (ignore exposure etc I was just testing).

leetest.jpg

I bought the holder and polariser ring last week. Looked at it on Saturday and was really unimpressed to be honest. What's with the plastic pin/knob - it felt horrible and not at all a premium product. Couldn't get either of my polarisers onto the ring (One of which is the Lee Landscape one) and the locking function didn't work with at least one of my adapter rings. When unlocked, rotating the holder on the lens adapter unscrewed the adapter.

That's two of us...same problems ...just waiting for a replacement ring....[emoji33]
I bought the holder and polariser ring last week. Looked at it on Saturday and was really unimpressed to be honest. What's with the plastic pin/knob - it felt horrible and not at all a premium product. Couldn't get either of my polarisers onto the ring (One of which is the Lee Landscape one) and the locking function didn't work with at least one of my adapter rings. When unlocked, rotating the holder on the lens adapter unscrewed the adapter.

As quoted earlier in the thread my polariser wont fit properly but I did put it on to try with my 16-35mm and at 16mm it wasn't as bad as the picture above....you can also drop down to one filter holder slot which I think would cure this but it's a bit of a faff.....

One slot just won't cut it. Mines arriving a bit later this afternoon so will test it myself and update here.
If it does cause vignetting it will have to go back as it will be an expensive downgrade.

As quoted earlier in the thread my polariser wont fit properly but I did put it on to try with my 16-35mm and at 16mm it wasn't as bad as the picture above....you can also drop down to one filter holder slot which I think would cure this but it's a bit of a faff.....

I had a quick retest last night and found it not as bad as the photo in some circumstances, I think focus breathing has an affect on it. But either way it was worse than my old system.

FYG I did the initial test with a Nikon 16-35 f4 on a D850

One slot just won't cut it. Mines arriving a bit later this afternoon so will test it myself and update here.
If it does cause vignetting it will have to go back as it will be an expensive downgrade.

Let me know how you get on, I have emailed Lee about it.

Okay, here goes. It's not really much worse than the original. Perhaps even the same.
All images taken with a Canon 5D4 and 16-35 f4L. UWA adapter ring and Landscape CPL (which is a bit slimmer than the original CPL by Lee)

1. Old Holder - Close focus - No LR Lens Profile applied

old_close_focus.jpg

2. New Holder - Close focus - No LR Lens Profile applied

new_close_focus.jpg

3. Old Holder - Infinity Focus - No LR Lens Profile applied

old_infinity_focus.jpg

Last edited:
4. New Holder - Infinity Focus - No LR Lens Profile applied

new_infinity_focus.jpg

5. Old Holder - Close Focus - with LR Lens Profile applied

old_close_focus_lr_lens_profile.jpg

6. New Holder - Close Focus - with LR Lens Profile applied

new_close_focus_lr_lens_profile.jpg

Okay, here goes. It's not really much worse than the original. Perhaps even the same.
All images taken with a Canon 5D4 and 16-35 f4L. UWA adapter ring and Landscape CPL (which is a bit slimmer than the original CPL by Lee)

Thanks for posting, I'll try mine again asap. I'll also update when/if I get a reply from Lee.

the locking function didn't work with at least one of my adapter rings. When unlocked, rotating the holder on the lens adapter unscrewed the adapter.
page 3 of the instruction manual says the locking feature won’t work with some adapters because tolerances in manufacturing have changed over the years. It’s probably the cause of your issue.

I bought one too at the photography show. I’ve not got out to try it yet but have managed to get the lee landscape polariser onto the adapter. It took about 30 seconds of persistence but it screwed on ok in the end. It’s not a quick fit but I’m only going to have to do it once.

To be honest I quite like that lee have tried to keep the existing adapters and have provided an adapter for existing polariser. They have have not done this and we would all be moaning our existing polarisers and adapters aren’t compatible with the new holder.

To be honest I quite like that lee have tried to keep the existing adapters and have provided an adapter for existing polariser. They have have not done this and we would all be moaning our existing polarisers and adapters aren’t compatible with the new holder.

As the old adage goes you can't please everyone but it seems a little telling no one is copying Lee's approach here.

7. Old Holder - Infinity Focus - with LR Lens Profile applied

View attachment 240604

8. New Holder - Infinity Focus - with LR Lens Profile applied

View attachment 240605

I think Lee should give you a job in quality control & testing....[emoji23]

Seeing as all I’ve been able to do so far is mess around and take mine apart I must say that moving to 1 or 3 slots only takes a few seconds now....no screwdriver / brass screws etc....

As I recall the old filter had some issues at 16mm......mines a Canon believe it or not....

Just an update.. I purchased the new Lee polariser to try instead of the old landscape polariser with adapter.

It is an improvement for sure!! there is slight vignette at 16mm but that is removed when applying the lens profile in Lightroom.

Also a quick note for anyone using the Filterdude Adapter rings, the Vignette is worse when using one of those, although it claims to be a W/A it is not as good as the official lee W/A adapter ring.

Personally, I’m not too impressed with the new adapter. I don’t have an issue with vignetting as that is removed with LR profiles, but, the lock is hit and miss. I have a number of rings, all wide angle and 2 purchased recently, the lock where you are meant to be able to rotate the holder just doesn’t work.its too tight and unscrews the ring. They mention in the manual that this may be a problem due to manufacturing tolerances but my rings span a number of years and this just sounds like a get or of jail clause to me.

The locking mechanism is now plastic which feels very flimsy and will probably break very soon, rendering the entire thing a pile of crap.

All in all it’s a fail for me. Complete waste of money unless you like the fake carbon fibre look.

Last edited:
Personally, I’m not too impressed with the new adapter. I don’t have an issue with vignetting as that is removed with LR profiles, but, the lock is hit and miss. I have a number of rings, all wide angle and 2 purchased recently, the lock where you are meant to be able to rotate the holder just doesn’t work.its too tight and unscrews the ring. They mention in the manual that this may be a problem due to manufacturing tolerances but my rings span a number of years and this just sounds like a get or of jail clause to me.

The locking mechanism is now plastic which feels very flimsy and will probably break very soon, rendering the entire thing a pile of crap.

All in all it’s a fail for me. Complete waste of money unless you like the fake carbon fibre look.

Yep totally agree....I’ve 3 different wide angle rings on different lenses and they all “lock” on both settings........I always liked the vintage look of the Lee stuff but do like the carbon effect but the whole thing doesn’t seem fit for purpose........

Yep totally agree....I’ve 3 different wide angle rings on different lenses and they all “lock” on both settings........I always liked the vintage look of the Lee stuff but do like the carbon effect but the whole thing doesn’t seem fit for purpose........

Glad I'm not not only one having these thoughts!

Yes I’m up and running now and agree the vignette isn’t too bad and can possibly be fixed using lens correction...do you find the polariser holder a bit fiddly to get off...?

No it's really easy to get off but not the way the guy at the show demo'd or in the instructions.

He basically tried to pinch the 2 clips and pull off. The trick is to push one of the clips upwards, so with the filter to the top you push the clip from holder direction up.. it comes of really easy that way (my explanation is terrible though!)

Last edited:
Back