New lens but sat in store room for a year

Name
john
Edit My Images
Yes
Just bought a 70-200 F4L IS from Currys at a bargin price of £751 so it was like getting a new lens at secondhand prices, only blip is the lens is coded Jan 2010 so reckon it has sat on the shelf for a year.
Have checked it and its perfect so I am happy to have saved some ££££'s to spend on more kit.

Just wondering do you think I got a bargin or was daft buying a lens thats sat for a long time?

Great price. How come it was so cheap??

Not going to have hurt it being sat there, so if you are happy with it then its a very good price.

Don't worry about it. It's perfectly possible to buy new lenses anyway with 2 or 3 year old codings due to sitting in stock.

yeah. Too many people get internet hysteria when it comes to the age of recent lenses. We're hardly talking 1950's wetzlars, here... in the first 10 years of a lens, the most likely failure would be circuit board - and with few exceptions that's a pot luck thing, could be a year, could be ten, could be never.

Fungus/balsam etc is hardly a huge problem even for old glass as long as it's stored well and not abused.

It's only a problem if you're one of those people who believe that glass is a liquid.

Because the lens has been sitting on the shelf, without being moved for a year, the glass in the lenses will have sagged slightly; in the same way that ancient windows are thicker at the bottom. This will show up as slight differences in focussing between the top and bottom (or left and right if the lens was stored on its side). The only cure is to lie the lens upside down (or on its other side) for another year.

It's for this reason that lenses not being used for a long time should be stored vertically and flipped over every month or so, to prevent front/back focussing problems developing.

Of course, if you know even the tiniest bit of science, you'll know that's all balderdash.

It's only a problem if you're one of those people who believe that glass is a liquid.

Because the lens has been sitting on the shelf, without being moved for a year, the glass in the lenses will have sagged slightly; in the same way that ancient windows are thicker at the bottom. This will show up as slight differences in focussing between the top and bottom (or left and right if the lens was stored on its side). The only cure is to lie the lens upside down (or on its other side) for another year.

It's for this reason that lenses not being used for a long time should be stored vertically and flipped over every month or so, to prevent front/back focussing problems developing.

Of course, if you know even the tiniest bit of science, you'll know that's all balderdash.

Dammit, and I just turned all my lenses over.. :LOL:

and was just about to get the blow torch to to sort it out ;)

Not sure what the retail is on that lens, but from what I've seen, you guys are getting ripped off big time with photographic equipment in the UK... I would never buy anything from there...

Just researched: a brand new one from B&H is £763

Hmmm, seems the cheapest price around looking at CPB (I can get a little more off to as I work for this group!)
Could anyone comment on it's size and what it's like to hold? I've a 60d and at this price looks like it could be the zoom I could push to. (I've the canon 10-22 and 50mm 1.4 at the moment)
I was looking at a 24-105 but the cheapest around was 799 for a White box variant......
I've read a few reviews that say optically it's great, but how heavy is it to carry around etc?

I have a Canon 60D and 70-200mm F4 IS and it balances perfectly. Have walking around holding the camera in one hand for most of the day without any trouble.

The lens is not actually that heavy so don't worry about it being front heavy or anything....oh and it is very very sharp :)

Just read assassins kit list. I now have kit envy! All those L's.

Not sure what the retail is on that lens, but from what I've seen, you guys are getting ripped off big time with photographic equipment in the UK... I would never buy anything from there...

Well were used to being ripped off in britain, even if the stuff was cheaper i doubt you would pop over just to buy your equipment.

I can picture it now, "just popping out to the shops dear, may be gone some time" :LOL::LOL::p:p

Good price for a great lens. :) Wouldn't be worried if it was sat around for a year, the IS model is sealed anyhow so dust shouldn't have been a problem! :)

Is that old chestnut still doing the rounds? :wacky:

Morph3ous said:
Just read assassins kit list. I now have kit envy! All those L's.

:), what can I say :)

Back