New lens choice - opinions?

Name
Lauren
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, just after some advice on a new lens!

I've just purchased a new Canon 70D which should be here by the end of the week, so just need to get myself a new lens now! I've been looking at the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM which reads some great reviews… I understand that with the 70D being crop rather than full frame it will become equivalent to around 28-70mm, is this right?

I'll be attending quite a few car shows, so ideally need to get quite close to the cars as apposed to standing quite far back, as you can imagine it can get quite busy so people tend to walk in front of you if you are too far back!

What do you think? Is there a different lens you would recommend for these sort of conditions in around the same price range? Or will the 17-40mm be a good choice? Ideally I'd like to stick with a Canon lens :)

Thanks in advance,
Lauren

It's a top of the range lens, so expensive. Other (cheaper) options would be the Canon EF-S 17-55 and Tamron 17-50, the latter I can say is a superb lens - I had one for 3 years on my crop, before I upgraded to FF.

Are you getting the body only or the body with a kit lens? I would recommend the 18-135 STM lens, good general purpose for stills and video. I have a 70D and have wide angle lenses as well as telephotos but it's the 18-135 lens that I use the most.

To answer your other question - the 70D is a crop 1.6 sensor so you can multiply your focal lengths by 1.6 to get the full frame equivalent.

First, the 17-55 is a better lens, but more expensive s/h than the 17-40 (not sure about new).

But it's not really wide enough for what you're talking about, where you ought to be going 10-20.

There's no real L lens alternatives, there are 3rd party lenses I'd definitely consider though.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the replies guys, much appreciated!

drounding - I have purchased just the body only, so no lenses!

So you guys think a 10-20mm for car shows would be the best option?

Lauren

Back