Beginner New Lens Failure

Name
Antony
Edit My Images
Yes
I went out early in the local area with the canon 90-300mm I got for my birthday to take a few handheld pictures, was a huge failure it definately requires me to use a tripod so I'll try again later.

IMG_1886_22.jpg

img_1958_2.jpg

img_1975_2.jpg

img_1992_2.jpg

img_1997_2.jpg

What shutter speed are you using, given the bright sunshine at present you should be able to use 1/500 easily be so as to avoid camera shake with a reasonable aperture (f8) and rack the iso up to get correct exposure. What camera are you using?

Last edited:
What shutter speed are you using, given the bright sunshine at present you should be able to use 1/500 easily do as to avoid camera shake with a reasonable aperture (f8) and rack the using up to get correct exposure. What camera are you using?

I'm using a Canon 350D and the lens Canon zoom lens EF is a 90-300mm 1:4..5-5..66 and there was no bright sunshine as it was 5.30am and everything was misty and overcast and it was just on auto as I was just trying the lens out.

I'm using a Canon 350D and the lens Canon zoom lens EF is a 90-300mm 1:4..5-5..66 and there was no bright sunshine as it was 5.30am and everything was misty and overcast and it was just on auto as I was just trying the lens out.
Try to keep to f8 and 1/500 and you shouldnt need a tripod. Tbh it isn't the best lens in the Canon lineup but you should get reasonable results. You can use it on aperture or shutter priority to obtain the settings I suggest but may need to adjust Iso unless you have auto Iso available on your camera. Misty early mornings aren't when this lens will perform at its best, but it's not alone in that.

Are you new to photography, I would abandon auto and switch to aperture priority. Its very easy to use and you could look on you tube for some tutorials if required.When I first took up photography I was a little "scared" to use anything except for auto and ruined a load of shots s a result. Choosing your focus points is also very important otherwise the camera will make a decision where it feels it should focus which isnt always where you want to focus.

Have you had good shots with the 350D previously?
I had a 300D which is rather similar, and didn't like it much until I started using RAW.
The in camera JPGs were mostly disappointing one way or another.
Exif details would help, some of them are quite noisy like auto ISO had a brainstorm.

Back