New Lens & First Woodpecker

Name
David Bell
Edit My Images
Yes
Tried out the new 100-400 today and found my first woody.
MM2.jpg

MM4.jpg

Plus another strange bird
MM7.jpg

C&C welcome.
Where do I find a noise reduction program? Does Elements have one?

#2 needs to show just a fraction more of his tail
great pic ***! :clap:

were they shot at very high ISO (to explain the noise)?

Hello Shogun, your shots look very grainy & they look a little soft not too sure what has happened :shrug:
Your first two would have been cracking shots apart from that (y)

ISO was at 800 and fairly heavy crop.

No 2 with more tail feathers.
MM8.jpg

congratulations on your first Female Greater spotted woodpecker. (y)

nice photos of woody and he is notoriously difficult to get close to.

Your third photo is of a magpie goose. damn ugly and the one in the local wwt site has a very bad attitude as well. I have a number of grooves in one of my lens hoods thanks to him. Hope this is a little more pleasant.

ok! im not sure if elements has noise reduction but if it did it would be in the filters section.

First try at noise reduction. Is this any better?
MM8606x800a.jpg

Thanks for the advice. There are so many things in Elements I don't know where to start. All I have been using is the quick fix section. Must be brave & open some more sections.:D

Nice shots mate, I'd recommend reading up on masking techniques & trying to only apply the noise reduction to the background rather than to the whole scene as quite often noise reduction tends to result in a plasticy look with lost detail.
An easy way to do this in the meantime is to duplicate your image onto a new layer, apply noise reduction to this duplicate & then erase the bird - therefore showing the original layer through (y)

Back