New lens for D200, advice please?

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm a complete newbie to this game so need lots of advice!!!

I have recently bought my 1st dslr a mint nikon D200, i then bought a 2nd hand but almost new 18-55vr lens, i already posted a few questions on here and felt i got a few raised eyebrows when getting this lens as i initially was looking for a 18-70 lens.

After using this lens verses an older lens i borrowed of a mate i feel the older lens was a lot sharper, being new to this i'm not sure if it is just my opinion or if i was trying a lot harder with it being my 1st time out.

So the question is should i stick with this lens or buy the 18-70 lens which i can currently get for approx £165 from Clifton Cameras or try to get the Tamron 18-55 2.8 lens which look to be selling for around the £175 mark on ebay, if i went for a new lens i would sell my current lens to offset some of the cost.

Not sure if i'm talking crackers or not!!, any help/recommendations will be most welcome.

Jon

No, your impressions are correct. I tried my 18-70 DX lens on a D60 against a friend's 18-55 VR on his D60 and my combo was much sharper, particularly out towards 50mm.

Its not that the 18-55 VR is bad, its just that the 18-70 DX is excellent.

If you after one of the 18-70 you should give London Camera exchange a call on the strand, I think you will get it cheaper than that as they have some second hand ones in stock I think.

Nigel

Interesting, I've heard good things about the 18-55mm VR? I can say that the 18-70mm is nice and sharp on my D200, but I've not actually tried an 18-55mm of any version. As said above, you should be able to pick up a mint 18-70mm for around £100-120. Although I'm a bit confused about the 18-55mm sharpness... is it a focus speed issue or just plain soft?

Back