new lens for zoo project.

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys im getting a zoo pass for 12 months in the next few months a a project on bettering my photography skills to various animals. After recently doing a trip to Chester Zoo i taken the wrong lens with me , the nikon 200-500 which did take some decent images but alot of the time was too powerfull. I also taken my old 18-55mm stock lens for close up work but my wifes phone got better images. I use a d500 and own the nikon 200-500, nikon70-300 (5.6) , tamron 90mm 2.8 macro and a nikon 18-55mm stock lens.
I want to take pictures inside reptile houses which i cant use flash might get away with my macro and an good intermediate lens suitable close or large animals.
Been doing a bit of homework on you tube and was going to go for the F2.8 70-200 nikon v1 (from 600 quid upward used) because it could be better in low light .
I would love some feed back on what people have used and what they would recommend . As you guys know zoos are challenges are most time what with fencing, distances and glass so i have my work cut out for me.
cheers.

My go to lens for zoos/wildlife parks is the Tamron 150-600mm as more often than not the more reach the better. If you're struggling with light indoor and subjects are relatively close then the 70-200mm f2.8 could be a good choice.

A lot depends on the zoo, If you are finding the 200-500 a bit too long, why not try a 70-200? If you went for a f2.8, then it is also useful for getting past the issue of fencing, as you can shoot sided open and blur them out with the DoF. Again dependant on lens you could also add a 1.4xTC for the occasions that you need a bit more. With regards to the reptiles, I would certainly try the 90mm Macro.

Another option is the Sigma 120-300 f2.8. I used the Sport version for zoos until I moved to Sony (although I have used them together). Only issue can be cost of the new Sport model and also its not the lightest weighing in at nearly 3 and a half kilos. Add that to the body and your handholding around 4kg! Oh and the cost too

I do a lot of zoo shooting and also have a d500.
I would say the 70/200 and both 1.4/1.7 tc will give you all you need other than macro.....

I was thinking that the 70-200 f4 instead of the f2 stats seem better for things like sharpness etc but with the f2 getting that extra stop of light. I have the tamron 150-600mm but that also gives me problems when trying to photograph large animals like giraffes and elephants when the over fill the frame and have to try and step back just to get a capture..

I was thinking that the 70-200 f4 instead of the f2 stats seem better for things like sharpness etc but with the f2 getting that extra stop of light. I have the tamron 150-600mm but that also gives me problems when trying to photograph large animals like giraffes and elephants when the over fill the frame and have to try and step back just to get a capture..
There is no 70-200mm f2 so I assume you mean the f2.8? On the D500 there's not a lot in it sharpness range across the 70-200mm's (not included the latest f2.8 version). The sharpest is the VRII according to DXO but I wouldn't concern myself with 1 or 2 Mpix difference. Overall I personally prefer the rendering of the VRII over the f4, and of course you gain that all important stop of light. However, it's more expensive (although can be had for circa £1k used) and almost twice as heavy.

Back