Beginner New lens - pictures very noisy

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
Hoping someone can point out to me what's most likely quite obvious with what I'm doing wrong and why some of my pictures are coming out very noisy looking.

The lens I'm using is quite new to me (Nikon 70-300mm) and I'm using a Nikon D3500.

I believe I was using the "Shutter priority" mode when taking them.

Raised ISO (12800 and 14400 respectively) is the reason for noise. Added to that, if you crop the image you’re going to enlarge that noise.

To reduce noise and lower your ISO, you need more light hitting the sensor.

To get more light, you either open up the aperture, reduce the shutter speed or add light to the scene.

Since you can't open up the aperture any more than you already have, you could reduce the shutter speed from 1/2000th.

Try 1/500th and below for static subjects with a long lens, 1/2000th is excessive unless it's birds in flight.

Last edited:
:agree: with Dan - try ISO Auto and then choose the desired shutter speed and aperture - birds in flight I use at least 1/ 2000th sec - birds perched at least 1/1000th sec

Les :)

The above posts advice will help but also software can help to get rid of noise I ran them through Topaz Denoise AI
Rob.

49866644058_1a0fea48b0_c.jpg49866643898_8663432fae_c.jpg

Thanks to you all for the advice and also @GyRob for doing that.
I only use Lightroom for editing my photos and tried using the noise reduction setting their but couldn't get it to look quite like you have with that other software.

I've switched to full manual mode on the camera now and am trying to get the hang of and understand the ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed settings more :)

Today I saw a blue tit in the garden and I'm quite happy with how these turned out.

The above posts advice will help but also software can help to get rid of noise I ran them through Topaz Denoise AI
Rob.

However in this case for the poster.. this is a very poor answer :( To the OP please please take note of @dancook

nothing wrong with noiseware when you cant do anything about the noise.. but never use it as a crutch :(

No not IMHO either :)

However in this case for the poster.. this is a very poor answer :( To the OP please please take note of @dancook

nothing wrong with noiseware when you cant do anything about the noise.. but never use it as a crutch :(

No not IMHO either :)

Well your entitled to your poor opinion just as I am :) I stand by mine ( The above posts advice will help but also software can help to get rid of noise I ran them through Topaz Denoise AI ) showing another option that can also help is helpful .
End of
Rob.

Back