New lens

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello.
Im looking to buy a new lens for my nikon d5100, i'm new to photography and only have the kit lens can anyone recommend a lens thats good for both portrait and landscape.
thank you

Hello.
Im looking to buy a new lens for my nikon d5100, i'm new to photography and only have the kit lens can anyone recommend a lens thats good for both portrait and landscape.
thank you

Hi Gareth

If you pop an idea of budget up, it'll help with recommendations...

I presume it's the 18-55 kit lens ? What are you finding limiting with it - again for recommendations for improvements..

Depending on budget what about the Nikon AF-S 24-70 f2.8 G lens (£1235 approx) or if too expensive the Nikon 24-120 f3.5-5.6 lens which is the one I use mainly as a good all round lens at around the £500 mark. Others may suggest buying a prime lens (fixed mm) but restricts what they can be used for as they are designed mainly for a particular use.
I would have suggested the Nikon 70-300mm lens if you han't mentioned using it for portrait use so discounted that but worth looking at in the future.

Typically and so often happens someone new to photography want a do it all lens to cover everything but there is not a lens made yet that can do that. Yes variable mm lengths can cover a wide range but not everything. So with a little experience you will find like most of us you will need different lenses to do different jobs . Take for example bird watching you need a lens capable of getting distance ie 600mm but unable to do macro work and a macro lens is unable to do distance work.

My advice is to really decide first off what your main interest in photography is and go for a lens made for that purpose then think about getting another for any other field of photographic interest

Last edited:
Back