New Lens

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Recently returned from a week long shoot and got to really use the camera (77d), which let me find its limitations!!

The videographer there had a 16-35L ii lens that I borrowed for a day, the IQ was excellent. I am a designer that does some photography/video so have not invested loads into my equipment, but enjoying it a lot and seem to be asked to do more so may have to re-think!!

I returned intent on buying a 16-35L ii and almost pressed the button, one last check through the pics and realised most were taken at 24mm +. Also I remember changing lenses a lot from 18-50 and 70-300 as it seems the 50-70mm was what i needed. It was a competition event so could not move closer and if i moved back people moved in the way!!

Last minute opted for a 24-70L ii, it was delivered today, what a beast of a lens!! It is a lot heavier than I was expecting, snapped 5 shots in my office to check and am amazed by the clarity of the images.

A lot of what I do is low light events, so next may be a 70-200L ii is, or a FF body, not sure what will yield the better results for me. It is a recurring dilemma for me!! As someone mentioned on here before, I may rent both in and have a play at the next event in November.

If anyone rents equipment in and has a recommendation please let me know.

Cheers, T

The 24-70mm f2.8 is a great lens for events, you can probably shoot all day without really changing lenses.
Be aware though that 24mm on your 77D gives you the equivalent view of 38mm on a full frame camera.
A full frame body might give you better results in the low light. A 6D or 5D3/5D4 might be worth a try before buying to see if it fulfils your needs. The 70-200 f2.8 is also a great lens for events, but whether you need one depends on what sort of events you are photographing. Can you get close to your subjects? Are you shooting people who are on stage some distance away? This is where the 70-200 comes in handy.
I'd say, rent a full frame body first, then see if the improvement in images is worth it. Then work out if the 70-200 is worth it.

These are a few of the shots i took, you can see distances and lighting vary immensely! The first album was the closing ceremony with awards, bright stage far away and dark everywhere else! With the rest there were barriers as it was a competition, so used my 75-300mm 'bundled' lens to get in close where i needed, and my 18-50 sigma for wider shots (apart from the one day i borrowed the 16-35L ii). I wonder if anyone can guess which album was taken with the L lens!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/worldskillsteamuk/albums/72157698579432482

https://www.flickr.com/photos/worldskillsteamuk/albums/72157673974065958

https://www.flickr.com/photos/worldskillsteamuk/albums/72157701783561795

T

These are a few of the shots i took, you can see distances and lighting vary immensely! The first album was the closing ceremony with awards, bright stage far away and dark everywhere else! With the rest there were barriers as it was a competition, so used my 75-300mm 'bundled' lens to get in close where i needed, and my 18-50 sigma for wider shots (apart from the one day i borrowed the 16-35L ii). I wonder if anyone can guess which album was taken with the L lens!!

The exif data on Flickr gives away which lens was used ;)
You got some good shots. To be fair, at the smaller size online, you can't easily tell the difference much between the Sigma 18-50mm and the 16-35L, but if you were viewing full size or using for print, then the sharpness would be noticable. I used to have that Sigma 18-50 and found it really sharp, so I'd keep it to cover your wider shots when needed and use the 24-70mm the rest of the time.

If you're only photographing these events a couple of times a year, I wouldn't bother buying the 70-200. I'd just rent it for the event.

The exif data on Flickr gives away which lens was used ;)
You got some good shots. To be fair, at the smaller size online, you can't easily tell the difference much between the Sigma 18-50mm and the 16-35L, but if you were viewing full size or using for print, then the sharpness would be noticable. I used to have that Sigma 18-50 and found it really sharp, so I'd keep it to cover your wider shots when needed and use the 24-70mm the rest of the time.

If you're only photographing these events a couple of times a year, I wouldn't bother buying the 70-200. I'd just rent it for the event.

Yes, think I will rent in a 6d mkii and a 70-200L ii for the next one. Will give me the option of trying a FF as well.

Need to do some research about who to rent off.

Back