Beginner New lens

Edit My Images
No
Hi Everyone.
Newbie here so be kind,
i have a nikon d3000 with kit lens plus a 70-300 and i am thinking of buying a used 55-200 f_5.6

Welcome aboard , :D I Don`t see you gaining much , as your 70-300 almost covers and exceeds the 55-200 , think you would be better with a 28-70 or 24 -70 mm , or perhaps wider 18-50 ?

What type of photography do you like to do.
Close up, landscape, wildlife etc.

You have a kit lens (18-55) plus 70-300, so that's almost all bases covered for focal length.

What is you want that your present lenses don't provide? If you want to try close-up (macro) then a macro lens (or a close-up adapter, like a filter) is the way to go. FWIW zooms that describe themselves as 'macro' almost always aren't - macro means to reproduce at life size on the sensor/film what is in front of the lens.

And welcome to TP. :)

Sorry , I didn`t notice your mention of a kit lens , ancient-mariners advice seems pretty sound .

Good Morning everyone.
Thanks for the replies i am also looking at a 35mm /50mm prime lens is this a bit overkill on my part.

Good Morning everyone.
Thanks for the replies i am also looking at a 35mm /50mm prime lens is this a bit overkill on my part.

A nice fast 35mm or 50mm would be a good choice. The Nikon 35mm F/1.8 DX is a lovely lens and not that expensive .

I would go for an upgraded walkabout lens, something like a Sigma 17-50mm or older 17-70mm. I use the 17-70mm and noticed I was getting much better results than my kit lens and I started to really see the quality of my photography.
For further range, if you can stretch to an old 70-200 or 80-200 F2.8, it will blow the socks off your 70-300.
If budget wont stretch, have a look at the Sigma 50-150mm F2.8. On your Nikon, this is equivalent to a 70-200. Its lightweight, sharp and very versatile.
I think you need to be looking at lenses F2.8 to F4. Speed and performance in low light will give you the improvements you're looking for.

I asked the Canon Live Chat team for a lens for the EOS 250D because I wasn't sure, they were really helpful helping me choose the right one.

I am trying close up atm, but do landscape mainly.
For close up look at the Sigma 70-300 APO as it offers 1:2 macro but make sure you get a later model as the early ones won't autofocus on your camera
Otherwise look for a 90mm 105mm or 50mm . dedicated macro lens from Tamron, Sigma or Nikon. Any of the prime lenses above also make decent portrait lenses and have a much faster Aperture

Back