New lighter and smaller tripod help please

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
My heaviest equipment comes in at just under 1600 grams (Canon 5d4, and 70-300 lens)

I've got plenty of heavy duty tripods purchased over the years (Manfrottos), but with the increasing aches and pains of old age, I am at the stage I need to look for a tripod which is more portable and lighter but still good enough to hold my equipment above.

Most of my photography when out and about is landscape.

The key criteria which is essential in the new tripod is that the legs are operated by levers as opposed to twist grips, as onset of arthritis makes it hard for me to open the twist grip types.

Budget I estimate as being a maximum of being £200

What can people recommend to me ?

thanks
Andrew

I’m quite happy with my Manfrotto Befree. I use a Nikon Z5 and 24-70f4. It was fine with the D750 and 70-200 I used before swapping to mirrorless. It hits the middle ground well for me, light enough and stable enough with enough being the important word.

My own research suggested that Manfrotto MKBFRLA4B-BHM which I believe is the Befree 2in1 is the one I have been looking at

What threw me was when I read some reviews on Amazon, somebody said that a Canon 800d and a 150-600 lens was too heavy for it, but the payload says it can hold 8 kgs

Heightwise I usually use tripods at about 60 inches or less

Last edited:
I bought a Benro C2970F on here and use it with my 200-600mm lens.
It's very sturdy, has a good height and is a lot lighter than my previous tripods.
I think it's discontinued now, but there will be a similar replacement....

I bought a Benro C2970F on here and use it with my 200-600mm lens.
It's very sturdy, has a good height and is a lot lighter than my previous tripods.
I think it's discontinued now, but there will be a similar replacement....

Just had a quick look at the specs for this and it indeeds to seem good, there are a couple of suppliers selling them so this can definitely make the comparison short list for me - what head do you use with it

Last edited:
Just had a quick look at the specs for this and it indeeds to seem good, there are a couple of suppliers selling them so this can definitely make the comparison short list for me - what head do you use with it
I use a Sunwayfoto DB-44 Ballhead with my smaller lenses and a Lensmaster RH2 gimbal with my 200-600mm lens.

Yeh I was going to suggest a carbon 190xpro too! I'm in the process of replacing mines with a peak design, but it's pretty lightweight and definitely sturdy. Served me well!

I was really underwhelmed with the manfrotto befree.

Yeh I was going to suggest a carbon 190xpro too! I'm in the process of replacing mines with a peak design, but it's pretty lightweight and definitely sturdy. Served me well!

I was really underwhelmed with the manfrotto befree.

Yes the carbon fibre are nice and light but definitely beyond my budget restricted by my pension :(

Back