New Line of work

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
HI all

New to this site and not shore if in right section to post this so i do appologise for that if i am.

Right i am currently taking a diffrent direction in my photography and just started a contract with a company doing Equine photography (horses) my problem is i need to invest in some new kit.

What i want to know is what would be the best to get which i will list below in a minute but keep in mind i am not in best situation with lots of money so it will have to be mid range if thats possible ?

Which lens or 2 if need be ?
Monopod or not ?
what camera to use ? (reason why i ask this is that i currently use sony but thinking of changing to another make)

Also any tips on best settings for this kind of photography as well to achieve best results.

Sorry alot to ask there but always best to ask than be quiet and make a mess of it

thank you for reading and any help is greatfully recieved

Hi and welcome to TP :wave:

What I think you really need to do is understand what you are trying to shoot and the limitations of your current kit before you go running out buying new stuff. You don't want to end up in the "all the gear, no idea" catagory and to some extent it sounds like you have already overfaced yourself by taking this contract in the first place.

Would be a good idea to go to some local shows and get some practice in asap. Buying a new lens / camera isn't going to make a blind bit of difference if you don't know what to do with it. I would also recommend getting over to the sport section of TP and searching for Equestrian shots to see the approach other people are taking. There is a ton of info there if you take the time to find it.

You will also get more joy in the equipement section for questions about kit.

Hi and welcome to TP :wave:

What I think you really need to do is understand what you are trying to shoot and the limitations of your current kit before you go running out buying new stuff. You don't want to end up in the "all the gear, no idea" catagory and to some extent it sounds like you have already overfaced yourself by taking this contract in the first place.

Would be a good idea to go to some local shows and get some practice in asap. Buying a new lens / camera isn't going to make a blind bit of difference if you don't know what to do with it. I would also recommend getting over to the sport section of TP and searching for Equestrian shots to see the approach other people are taking. There is a ton of info there if you take the time to find it.

You will also get more joy in the equipement section for questions about kit.
(y)

Hi Daysleeper,

Thank you for your reply, the photography i will be doing is not at shows etc. Its visiting the stables and doing personal photographs for there owners and intermet pictures between the horse and owner for them to have printed and enjoy in there home etc.

I have done simulare work for friends and local stables already, but the problem i have i feel my lens is not fast enough for focusing for the shots of the horses running around in the field having fun etc. Ive been looking through the internet and i am all confused on which is good value for money and seing if anyone hands first hand experience with a decent lens.

The company i am working for i am starting as a assistant for 5 weeks with training involved etc. Then will be going to stables alone, but as all i have done up till now is portrait photography and weddings and as i love doing both of them but i have always liked doing naturale out door photography with animals and people so i thought i would take this opertunity while i had it and the pay is good so i can drop weddings as there starting to be more hassle than there worth and take up to much of my time.

Thank you again for your advice i will have a look at what you have suggested.

In that case your best bet is to get on the Equipment section and post about the lenses you have been looking at in your price range and ask if anyone has any advice / recomendations on those specific lenses. You're likely to get a better response if you give people a starting point rather than say "what should I buy?".

I can't make any suggestions myself I'm afraid but I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Hi Daysleeper,

Thank you ill post it up in that section, sorry i should of noticed that my self first before posting my fault.

Thank you again for your tips and advice much apreciated

Jason, which camera and lenses have you got? How much would you have to spend if you were just buying lenses?

Hi everyone new to this site so hope i got the right section this time.

I am looking for suggestions on a lens i am currently starting a new adventure into Equine photography (horses) and i dont feel the lenses i have at moment are fast enough on focusing at moment.

I currently have
50mm
30mm
70-300mm
18-105mm
18-55mm

I am currently using sony camera but am looking at going to canon or nikon soon.

im been looking at sigma/tamron 70-200mm but not shore this would be a good choice ?
my budget is around £600 mark give or take

ill be tacking pictures of horses at the stables of intermit shots of owner and horse and horse on there own in the field etc of them hopefully running and playing.

I hope i have give the most information i can and any information is greatfully recieved

Hi Fabs,

Thanks for moving the thread, you will find i have written out a new one in this section sorry can delete it if wish as i dont know how to do that.

I currently have
50mm
30mm
70-300mm
18-105mm
18-55mm

I am currently using sony A700 A350 A200
but am looking at going to canon or nikon soon.

I've merged the threads.

If you are looking to spend £600 on a lens, why would you then change systems?

I shoot Equestrian with Sony A700s and use a 70-200 f2.8 for about 90% of it. The Sigma is said to be a pretty good lens although I haven't used one myself.

Hi Daysleeper,

Thank you ill post it up in that section, sorry i should of noticed that my self first before posting my fault.

Thank you again for your tips and advice much apreciated

No problem - it's not like I've been much help with your actual questions!

Had a quick search and this thread may be of interest:

Click Me

I was going to suggest having a look at some of Hacker's shots - he has posted some in the above thread along with some advice you might find useful.

Good luck finding what you need (y)

I've merged the threads.

If you are looking to spend £600 on a lens, why would you then change systems?

I shoot Equestrian with Sony A700s and use a 70-200 f2.8 for about 90% of it. The Sigma is said to be a pretty good lens although I haven't used one myself.

I have £3k to one side to buy a new camera as well i was hoping to get a fullframed camera i was looking at the sony A850 or A900 but there frames of second are 3 and 5 which slightly puts me off them but i love the layout and handerling of the sony so that is going to be a long thinking prosses at minute.

No problem - it's not like I've been much help with your actual questions!

Had a quick search and this thread may be of interest:

Click Me

I was going to suggest having a look at some of Hacker's shots - he has posted some in the above thread along with some advice you might find useful.

Good luck finding what you need (y)

Thank you again for the help you have given me and i am looking at the thread you provided. Its my fault really i made a big hash of starting this thread out i know for future refrence to describe better and to put in the right area so thank you

I have £3k to one side to buy a new camera as well i was hoping to get a fullframed camera i was looking at the sony A850 or A900 but there frames of second are 3 and 5 which slightly puts me off them but i love the layout and handerling of the sony so that is going to be a long thinking prosses at minute.

If you want to do horse shots you dont really want a full frame camera;
they have slower frames per second as they are designed for landscape and portrait photographers mainly where fps dont matter too much.

If you need to get close to the action on a full frame body you'll need LONGER lenses which can get costly whereas a shorter lens achieves a further reach on a crop sensor body

HI j4mie,

Thank you for your tip you have pointed out something that i should of thought of my self and took into concideration as well. But the problem i have is that sony range of cameras are pretty slim at moment and im not really keen on there new generation of cameras i like there old style like the A350 and A700 which there style moves into the A850 and A900 which are fullframed. Hence why i was looking into changing to nikon or canon.

Back