New little prime: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF_S G

Just came across this on another site and thought it was a hoax as it kind of came out of the blue! :)

These new primes seem to have a more 'contrasty' look compared to the old versions. I have the 35 1.8G and the 50 1.8D and the latter definitely seems to have a cooler look...

Brilliant, my 18-55 struggles a bit when I shoot live music. Ah just the thing I've been looking for to shove on the front of my D60.

I think it's well past due given the popularity of the 1.8D and the lack of in body AF in the entry bodies. Be interesting how they price it, as it has a focus scale I'm going to guess around the £200-250ish once the price settles (based on the current 35mm price which doesn't have the focus scale).

I think it's well past due given the popularity of the 1.8D and the lack of in body AF in the entry bodies. Be interesting how they price it, as it has a focus scale I'm going to guess around the £200-250ish once the price settles (based on the current 35mm price which doesn't have the focus scale).

Although if its £250, that would leave it only £50 or so less than the 1.4....

Either way, I'll watch this one with interest as if it's around the £200 mark it would make a nice addition to the collection. Now if only they could do the same with the 85mm 1.8

Don't forget that DoF scale is only accurate on FX cameras. That might be why the 35 f 1.8 doesn't have one. (although recalibrating for DX wouldn't be hard)

I'm going to guess a price of £150, bearing in mind the sub £100 price tag and the great value perception of the 50 f1.8

Ehh, As someone who is switching to Nikon right now, It think its good that they are putting a fifty out with a Motor built in. But if they price it alot higher-200 quid-ish. Then IMO its a no go for me. Only a few of the bodys don't have a motor built it. and it really isn't that hard to focus manually with the current nifty Nikon have.

Not really that intrested yet, waiting for the prices to come out.

Don't forget that DoF scale is only accurate on FX cameras. That might be why the 35 f 1.8 doesn't have one. (although recalibrating for DX wouldn't be hard)

I'm going to guess a price of £150, bearing in mind the sub £100 price tag and the great value perception of the 50 f1.8
Would the focus distance indicator be different FX vs DX?

This does have an aspherical element which the 50 1.8 D doesn't which will push the price up. But the design looks similar to the 35mm bar the focus scale so between 150 and 200 might be a good guess.

I picked up the AF-S 50mm 1.4 in Jessops for £288 this week. The 1.8 shows on their website for £170 today ......

Could have saved some money if I'd waited ......

Edit - I mis-read the website - sorry. The £170 was a 35mm not 50mm. Apologies for any confusion.

Last edited:
Would the focus distance indicator be different FX vs DX?

This does have an aspherical element which the 50 1.8 D doesn't which will push the price up. But the design looks similar to the 35mm bar the focus scale so between 150 and 200 might be a good guess.

agghh sorry - never looked at the 35 1.8 before - you're right it doesn't have a focus scale. DoF scales are different, and marked showing the limits of acceptable sharpness for various appatures. This would be different for DX and FX lenses

Good news for guys who spent all money on FX body :)

Pretty sure that all Nikon Fx bodies have AF motors in the body so the older (and cheaper) lenses will AF on them.

Pretty sure that all Nikon Fx bodies have AF motors in the body so the older (and cheaper) lenses will AF on them.

Yep, you have no need to spend any more than £100 on an old school D version if you have an FX body.

I found an even older plain AF one for £40 and it works a treat on the D70 and the D700.

I suspect this may be a little pricey for DX with the 35mm at around £170. I'm going to guess this fifty will weigh in around £200ish, any more'd be getting into 1.4 territory surely?

Unless I'm missing something can only see it being useful in bodies that dont's AF (D40 etc) which as they are entry level where's the market. The current nifty will AF on the D90 upwards

At that price you'd be better off upgrading to a D90 or D300 and going for the £80 option

:thinking:

That seems unlikely to be the only improvement .the new 50 & 85 f/1.4 lenses are great improvements on the lenses they replaced

The speed of 1.4G was so damn low comparing to old D model. So if it will be slow as 1.4G there's no point to go for it *** its not worth, butif the new one will be fast as 35, i dont mind to loose one stop and i will go from 1.4 to 1.8

The speed of 1.4G was so damn low comparing to old D model. So if it will be slow as 1.4G there's no point to go for it *** its not worth, butif the new one will be fast as 35, i dont mind to loose one stop and i will go from 1.4 to 1.8

No problem with the focus speed of my 50/1.4 G, and extremely accurate, which shooting at f1.4 is important.

I'll go £165-£180 - any more and it's A) prohibitive for many DX users who are first-time DSLR owners, and B) any higher (especially £200+)and it encroaches too much into f/1.4 territory....

Might be an interesting buy if AF-D focussing isn't up the scratch....

No problem with the focus speed of my 50/1.4 G, and extremely accurate, which shooting at f1.4 is important.
In studio it's ok, but I prefer some action outside, so I swaped my one to D version, ten times faster :) At first I thought it's bad copy, but I tried several copies of G and all of them were slower comparing to D version.

We might have to wait a bit longer. Its now been removed from the Nikon site!

That's a bit of a shame, hopefully they're refining it a little, it would better if they could make it with a 52mm filter thread IMO....

Rocky Shilly said:
In studio it's ok, but I prefer some action outside, so I swaped my one to D version, ten times faster :) At first I thought it's bad copy, but I tried several copies of G and all of them were slower comparing to D version.

10 x is a bit of an exaggeration. The g is slower but it's also much more accurate and doesn't hunt like the d. Important outside more then in a studio

Anyway shame about the f/1.8

vintageman said:
We might have to wait a bit longer. Its now been removed from the Nikon site!
I assume someone at nikon is being publicly flogged as we speak ;)

I assume someone at nikon is being publicly flogged as we speak ;)

A chap on a US site is saying that there was also an 85 f1.8 G AF-S on the same page ... may have been wishful thinking on his part :shrug:

Fortunately I have enough lenses :whistle:

As others have said, it might be slower than the d version to focus. I compared the after speed of the 50mm f1.8 d and 1.4g. Sadly i found the d version was so much more responsive and missed focus on a few shots with the g. The 35mm g is a lot faster to focus so i couldn't figure out why the 50 was so much slower.

I'll be watching for reviews and pricing though.

220USD is £133 at the current exchange rate, which isn't that much of a premium at all compared to the AF-D equivalent (and, if you are using a body without a focus motor, the only real way to go). Shame it's not really the classic 50mm focal length with the crop sensor - although interesting that it's not a DX lens (as opposed to the 35mm f/1.8).

Indeed it is... :bonk:

Fixed now.

It wont be £199.99 Ed, Amazon.com have it for around £130+whatever taxes your hit with

Well back of a napkin:
purchase: £130
VAT: £26
import duty @ 9% (not sure exact value so went high)£11.70
"Handling charge" £10

Total: £177.70, so you can save just over a tenner assuming Amazon US will ship to the UK for free.

edit: http://www.dutycalculator.com/popular-import-items/import-duty-and-taxes-for-electronics/ 6.7% apparently so £8.71 duty and a total of £174.71. Oh and whatever you bank chooses to charge you for the currency conversion, possibly another 2.5-3ish% on top.

Last edited:
Back