New LPOTY 2012 Winner Announced - Simon Butterworth

Nice tight angles and lines, plus the streetlamp position tops it off for me. More urban than the usual pieces that make it through to the final stages but fantastic all the same, i've been following the story from the start on twitter and it's been interesting to say the least !

How interesting that this was the photo that was featured on some of the initial news reports.

So, an image of some manky terrace houses is THE best image from all of the thousands of entries this year?

Mind boggles

So, an image of some manky terrace houses is THE best image from all of the thousands of entries this year?

Mind boggles

Enough already ... no more controversy :D

Lol! :) Won by default if anything

What's wrong with good old countryside/coast landscape images!

I think that is a fantastic shot, when I was looking through the runners up that stuck out as a particularly striking, memorable image. Love the telephoto compression effect on the side of the tenements, great to see a telephoto shot take the top prize

I understand what Drew is saying because i partly agree with him although i do like the Urban shot, maybe there should be a UPOTY to seperate the two groups, but then you'll always have a half and half image combined and it's place could be in both of them.

Just because YOU think that's what a landscape shot should be, doesn't mean everyone does. Are you the arbiter of all things landscape?

I think that's a very well considered, beautifully composed and historically relevant landscape image. The judges and Charlie Waite seem to agree too.

Oh well.. maybe we're all wrong.. maybe we all just shoot countryside and coastal images... after all, the entire UK landscape is made up of countryside and coastal views. :bang:

Mind boggles

Yes a points system is used and judges allocate points for each. Simon's was the image with the next highest points.

It's not to everyone's taste I admit. I think it's one of these ones that stand out from the crowd and probably played a major factor in scoring highly.

Last edited:

Because "landscape" has a far wider definition. It can be preceded by rural, coastal, urban, industrial and probably a few more. We shouldn't fall into the trap of assuming that Landscape = pretty scenery.

Landscape isn't my genre, so to speak, but give me urban/industrial over rural/coastal any day. Far more interesting IMHO.

I just chuckled that the landscape photo of the year is in portrait orientation. That's sure to confuse some. :nuts:

Does nothing for me whether it be "landscape" or not. There's nothing in the shot that grabs my interest or makes me want to know more about the place. It's all subjective though and obviously the judges loved it.

As an image I dont care much for it, but I can appreciate the telephoto compression effect is at least interesting / different and it certainly made me take a second look at it even though it is not to my taste.

Ultimately as already said above it was up the judges, and they deemed this to be the best landscape picture of 2012. For me personally it would have been vastly improved with a dog on the left hand side and perhaps a crab on the right.

Just because YOU think that's what a landscape shot should be, doesn't mean everyone does. Are you the arbiter of all things landscape?

Are YOU??

Guess it shows we all have different ideas about photography. And so it should be. Different judges ,perhaps a different winner. Someone has to be the arbiter and this is deemed the winner.

Myself I like Countryside/coastal landscapes!!

That's tongue in cheek for those of you that missed it in Drews post.

wow. I wish David had lied and said he didn't manipulate it at all. His image was a mile apart from this dull uninteresting snapshot :(

lol, cheers Gary - nice to know there's people out there that don't take written words as gospel :wacky: (y)

Does nothing for me whether it be "landscape" or not. There's nothing in the shot that grabs my interest or makes me want to know more about the place. It's all subjective though and obviously the judges loved it.

+1

No one is being rude. Its irony!! Let's not let this develop into another thread similar to the one regarding the original winner. Where, to be frank, a lot of what was written was a disgrace.

No one is being rude. Its irony!! Let's not let this develop into another thread similar to the one regarding the original winner. Where, to be frank, a lot of what was written was a disgrace.

Emoticons like :wacky: in this instance is rude, especially when use of an emoticon in his original post would have confirmed that it was tongue in cheek but he didn't feel the need to at that point.

sigh, think I'll leave it there :muted:

Sarky comments like this don't help either.

New winner isn't for me. Perhaps it looks a lot better when printed out or displayed on a large screen? Looks boring as a small image.

I'm pleased to say that this photo won the 'Your View' category in the Take a View Landscape Photographer of the Year 2012 competition.

Congratulations to everyone who made it and can't wait to see them at the exhibition.

David

Cheers. Straight shot really. Mono conversion via RawShooters Essential (I know it was discontinued in 1485 but I love it) and a whisper of yellow filter via CS5 to accentuate the mist. Just a case of getting the aged arse out of bed and into the forest before sunrise.

milou said:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/milouvision/7432915044/

I'm pleased to say that this photo won the 'Your View' category in the Take a View Landscape Photographer of the Year 2012 competition.

Congratulations to everyone who made it and can't wait to see them at the exhibition.

David

Lovely David, if I remember rightly you have taken a few like this, all super. Congratulations too :)

As for the winning entry, I'd not even give it a second glance if I was browsing flickr and saw it. I'm amazed if most people would pick this too. Anyway nice to see something different for a change and talk about

Are YOU??

No... but I'm not being negative towards it either. The truth is, I don't like the winning image that much either, but I think it's extremely good; I have no problem with it winning. Surely whether you "like" it shouldn't be the wholly deciding factor in judging an image. If we judged things solely upon whether we liked them, it would just become a case of "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like".. which would basically make a mockery of every photographic competition ever run. In this instance, it was dismissed on it's content alone...
No mention of anything else.. just instant dismissal on it's subject matter alone. I think that's a very blinkered view of things.

No... but I'm not being negative towards it either. The truth is, I don't like the winning image that much either, but I think it's extremely good; I have no problem with it winning. Surely whether you "like" it shouldn't be the wholly deciding factor in judging an image. If we judged things solely upon whether we liked them, it would just become a case of "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like".. which would basically make a mockery of every photographic competition ever run. In this instance, it was dismissed on it's content alone... No mention of anything else.. just instant dismissal on it's subject matter alone. I think that's a very blinkered view of things.

OK, given that a photograph is technically competent (if it needs to be), we are left with the subject matter and how it is portrayed, are we not? Technical competence is within the grasp of anyone so choice of subject matter must play a large part IMO. Don't want to start a row about this, just trying to understand what was in the judges' minds. Sometimes it seems they go for something 'different' just for the sake of it.

Nice one David
Very nice - and I like your Slovenia Dawn in the same set even more!
Lovely David, if I remember rightly you have taken a few like this, all super. Congratulations too :)

Many thanks. It's also part of a project I'm wrestling with prior to an exhibition of photographic work that concentrates on the New Forest and is defined by three attributes - dawn (or just after), mist and geography, namely three small areas of the Forest. It's just trying to get a coherent set of images that flow. Or something.

OK, given that a photograph is technically competent (if it needs to be), we are left with the subject matter and how it is portrayed, are we not? Technical competence is within the grasp of anyone so choice of subject matter must play a large part IMO. Don't want to start a row about this, just trying to understand what was in the judges' minds. Sometimes it seems they go for something 'different' just for the sake of it.

I see what you're saying, but I was referring to dismissing it because you don't LIKE the subject matter, not how well it's been captured. I don't LIKE the image of the terraces.. I wouldn't have it on my wall, but liking the subject matter shouldn't influence you if you were a judge in a photo contest. The subject has been well shot technically, and the way it's been framed, choice of lens, and composition speak loudly of the back to back, side by side nature of Victorian terraced living. This is what makes it vaguely depressing, and why I wouldn't have it on my wall.. but because of this, it's good.

Yes.. they often WILL go for something different. If all we do is reward the same old images, year in, year out, no one will innovate, and photography as an art form will stagnate. Who wants that? Any judge worth his salt will reward innovation if it's well executed.

Back