New Mac 16 inch zippy

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi to all I bought a new zippy dippy 16inch Macbook can you point me in the right direction on things I should do at the start like external drive ,case ,just genaral things to keep it fresh and under control just for photography the last Mac I bought ended up being full of rubbish from the internet so any ideas would be welcome I really just want it for work thanks
Just to add the last MacBook I bought was in 2008 using 10.5.8 which I’ve been very happy with and still serves me well

Last edited:
Easy, don't go on dodgy sites and don't download anything.

I'm afraid the more sites you visit the more crap will download and accumulate.

Use Time Machine to make a backup once you have all your photo software on it so if it gets slow you can restore it to when it was nice & quick.

Thanks ninja should I get an external drive
You're using this for photography? Absolutely. A fast SSD based drive for images you're working on and a second slower HDD for main storage.

You can visit websites without fear, but don't download and install stuff - have the minimum number of programs you *need* installed.

At some point you will outgrow the internal drive if you haven't already.

The slow spinny HDDs are perhaps a bit more reliable if that's not yesterday's news. Get WD 4tb or 5tb and this will sort your photos and downloads for a while to come.

Keep the catalogue on internal SSD, or if working across multiple computers get a dedicated SSD. Speed really matters for these.

P.S. 4K Video editing = fast and large external SSD.

You can visit websites without fear, but don't download and install stuff - have the minimum number of programs you *need* installed.

I'm guessing no Lightroom or LibreOffice by default. Most will want these :) And perhaps a browser that doesn't keep all your browsing history on the company's servers. I'm thinking Brave or Firefox.

In general, create a new user without any admin rights and use that for day to day work and browsing. The less permissions and rights are available for apps the safer it will be. Apple's security defaults are fairly questionable in my view.

Not so much can go wrong unless you willingly install and approve the crap with password.

I have a 16 inch MacBook Pro. I use the internal 500gb ssd for 4k video editing. Once the project is complete, I move all the files onto an external 4gb hard drive I have velcroed onto the case. Some of my videos can be 2-300gb big, so you’d only get two on the ssd before it’s full.

My Lightroom catalog is stored on the ssd, but I started a new one when I got it, so it’s not very big. My old catalog with 40k+ images is stored on another external drive that I only plug in when I need a file from it.

The internal SSD is about 4 times faster that a USB C external disc.

Back