New Macro Lens. Canon 180mmL

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
Well guys I have just opened the box of my new Canon 180mm f/3.5L Macro..

Looking to get a few bugs or anything that would sit still long enough this is the best of around 20 shots I have just taken 10 minutes ago...:)

All comments welcome.(y)

wasp.jpg

minimeeze said:
It looks like it has a mighty hangover :LOL:

It would have done if it stung me..:LOL:

What ... you mean you only opened it today ... :eek: ... saw the box 'n all posted last night dinneye ... :thinking:

Good pic Tim ... nice detail and very crisp ... only comment is the Wasp looks a little 'washed out' in colour terms ... if you know what I mean ... :p

Venomator said:
What ... you mean you only opened it today ... :eek: ... saw the box 'n all posted last night dinneye ... :thinking:

Yes mate just opened the box this afternoon.:)

Looks possibly a tad over-exposed or over-flashed Tim, although it does look like the light was very contrasty. Looking at those fairly hard shadows I'd be surprised if you were using your macro flash unit. Was it hand held? It takes practice to get the best out of this lens. Nice shot though mate.

Jeez, it's sharp, good purchase :) Why did you go for that rather than the sigma 150?

I was using the dedicated MT-24EX macro flash CT.

Also using the tripod and manually focusing at f.10

I had a play with the same shot in photoshop and came up with this but didnt like it for some reason, Looked at the original and posted that..

wasp=1.jpg

dod said:
Jeez, it's sharp, good purchase :) Why did you go for that rather than the sigma 150?

Coz Cedrics got one and I was very impressed by the tone colour and contrast of his images doddy..:)

I prefer the first one too.

Own up though - that is two half wasps put together again for the photo. I can see the join.

;)

RobertP said:
I prefer the first one too.

Own up though - that is two half wasps put together again for the photo. I can see the join.

;)

It would have been in two halves if it stung me Robert I can tell you..:D

You want to keep the reflection in the eyes Tim to distinguish them from the rest of the head, and in all honesty there's not much you can do about the reflections from the other hard shiny bits, except maybe try to diffuse the flash a little, but they're best left alone mate, unless they're really excessive.

That's a long winded way of saying I prefer the original. :)

Excellent shot Tim but I have to agree with Venomator , the wasp seems to lack punch (but not sharpness :)).

I've tweaked the levels and saturation on the wasp and got this ...

wasp.jpg

This was an available light shot Tim in strong sunshine, and the reflections are there as you can see. A flash would only have increased the problem with this shot.

Wasp-on_-leaf.jpg

Much better MrGubby thanks...(y)

To be honest is there much post processing done in macro shots as I am willing to learn..

CT
dod
MrGubby

All you macro experts reveal all.:nuts:

I don't do any processing at all with them Tim other than perhaps slight levels adjustment. If I'm using the 1D and spot metering, then I rarely need to do anything at all - it nails the exposure pretty well bang on.

Back