Beginner New member help with new lens

Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and to the photography, I have a Nikon d3300 with the kit lens 18-50mm I'm looking to buy a lens with macro and zoom ability, I was looking at 55-200 or 70-270/300mm, but I'm wondering is too much gap from 50 to 70mm between the lens? My budget is not great. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you

the gap between 55 and 70mm isn't worth worrying about and it would be much more useful to have 300mm compared to 200mm so all things being equal I would go with the 70-300.

The 'gap' is about a footstep :)

I'd go for the 200, but that's just me for my kind of photography. I found I never went past 200.

Well my budget is not huge so I'm looking on eBay, so whatever I find best, now I know I can go for both lengths

So you guys which of the three you will go for,
Nikon 55-200
Tamron 70-300
Tamron 18-270

Please consider that I have the stock 18-55mm from nikon

The Tamron 18-270 my wife uses it and absolutely loves it cheers Mike ps also on a d3300

Last edited:
I'd go for the 55-200 VRII Nikon, but as I said, I prefer this for what I shoot.
I have a 70 -300 VR Nikon but I have to use it on my D200, no motor in lens:

DSC_2813a by Ken, on Flickr
This was taken at about 180mm.
I think there is a version that is compatible with the D3000 series, I'm not sure.

I have the 55-200 VRII Nikon which I prefer. This was at 140mm:

Fringe 2017 035e by Ken, on Flickr

So perhaps I can get the Nikon 55-200mm and in the future get something bigger from 200mm onwards?
It's up to you :)
It depends what you want to take pictures of.

The 55-200 is about £135 new, for example:
https://store.digitalrev.com/product/nikon-af-s-dx-nikkor/MTEwMzk2OQ_A_A

Edit:
Just checked on ebay and they can be had from about £113 new :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SALE-Niko...331381&hash=item2a8d418018:g:KUwAAOSwy69ZtlXW

Used ones tend to be about the same price. Most places are selling them for up to £200

Last edited:
I checked eBay I found some cheaper but on the lens say only dx, are those old version? Are those still usable? Are there a lot of differences between the version?

There are three versions, avoid the one without VR (so that's probably the DX version), not that it's bad but the others are better for little extra money.

Ok, so if there is not vr I will not got for?
Not advisable. You can gain 4 stops with the newer lenses, which is the difference between a sharp shot and a fuzzy one - especially at the long end.

DX just means it is for crop sensors like your camera. Make sure you get an AF-S 55-200 VRII as your camera doesn't have an internal focusing motor.

All the Nikon 55-200 lenses will AF on a body without an internal motor, that's what they were invented for.

Ok thanks for the help to sum up, minimum requirement is VR if has VR II is the best but even only VR is good? Sorry but it's hard to get my head around with this codes

Back