New miller dam

Name
mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, need you opinion again good bad ugly?
and a question cos im still learning, how do i recover the sky, its sort of there but not if you know what i mean, im sure theres a way is CS2, but well im learning on that too !!

thanks for your time

newmillerweb1.jpg

Not sure about recovring now, but maybe next time try a ND Grad?

That has potential to be a good photo... however it is as out of focus as most of mine are!

The colours work well as does the reflection.

Sorting out the sky probably isn't possible unless you have the raw file, and I don't think even then you would be able to do much but I am no expert there.

An ND Grad filter would have helped - mask the sky with the dense bit of the filter and it exposes correctly at the same time as the rest of the shot.

A similar effect can be achieved in CS2/3/4/The Gimp/whatever by blending 3 or more pictures (as different layers, using layer masks) which are of the same scene but exposed differently.

B.

+1 to everything Ben said. I've had a quick go on the sky, to get it back to see 'blue and clouds' brings up that much distortion it's not worth the effort. With a RAW you could probably get it, but that doesn't sort the focus. Just right it off and go and have another go :)

The image will definitely be better with a ND grad being used when shooting. I prefer to use grads than doing it in post processing as I prefer the results and find it easier/more satisfying this way.

Get yourself a set and start playing with them and you will be glad to get that detail and colour back in the skies.

You can recover a surprising amount. Here's a quick go, using a contrast mask and then selecting the sky and taking it down by two stops. Just a quick jobbie to show the potential. You can get plugins for contrast masking, but I use a script in Paint Shop Pro 9.

Back