New Netbook !

Went into local Asda and they had sold out, got them to phone around other local branches and got Asda Lifestyle at Dartford to put one aside for me. When I got there the guy said they had loads so I bought two of them.

Took about 10 minutes to set up and get it connected to wireless network. Not sure yet if I will keep the Linux that is installed or change to Windows.

For £150 I don't think you can go wrong with them

Yeah thats what I was thinking Gary, perfect for shooting tethered.

3220303604_be312cb055_o.jpg

Runs quite well on 512mb considering :D

All working (sound / graphics / time machine etc) with the exception of WIFI, but i'll be fitting a new WIFI card and an extra 1gb later today ;)

Just Managed to get one in ASDA Sutton thanks for the heads up. OSX next when I can find out how.

Simon

How easy is it to do the wifi card? I've swapped bits in my Mac Mini before now so I'm used fiddly things. Not too hard I take it?

How easy is it to do the wifi card? I've swapped bits in my Mac Mini before now so I'm used fiddly things. Not too hard I take it?

Complete stripdown as the MOBO is upside down. Takes around 30 mins all in to strip it, replace wifi card, add ram and rebuild.

I'll dig out some links with pretty pics shortly.

Sounds doable. Really need to get my taxes done and pickup one of these.

Note that the screen disassembly is only required if you want the 'n' wireless capabilty.

I went for the standard b/g cards that are an easy replacment.

Yer. If I get one its not going to replace my Macbook Pro. Just something I can take out with me as there are times when I nip to Liverpool for like an hour and it costs me £10 in petrol n parking. Be nicer to have a laptop with me sometimes but I don't fancy lugging my MBP around incase of it being stolen.

I'd get one sooner rather than later as they are selling like hot cakes. My local sold majority of the remaining 12 yesterday :)

Grrrr. Wont have the missing 2 pages of my statements till mid next week so I wont know my full tax bill till then :/

Shame that those cost a whole lot more here in Finland... and I am not coming to the UK for another wee while.. well, can't have it all I suppose.

Picked one up last night from Asda in Shrewsbury. They firstly tried to give me one that had been opened and set up complete with greesy finger prints all over - only noticed when I got back. Managed to get them to change it for a new sealed box but this one is Brown - never mind.

Got all the stuff to put OSX on it thanks to Chilli and also bought an extra 1GB of RAM for £10 at Crucial.com and a WiFi card from eBay.

Cheers for your help!

DB

Picked one up last night from Asda in Shrewsbury. They firstly tried to give me one that had been opened and set up complete with greesy finger prints all over - only noticed when I got back. Managed to get them to change it for a new sealed box but this one is Brown - never mind.

Got all the stuff to put OSX on it thanks to Chilli and also bought an extra 1GB of RAM for £10 at Crucial.com and a WiFi card from eBay.

Cheers for your help!

DB

Happy days :D

What WiFi card do you put in one of these for OSX to recognise it? Actually, any chance of PMing me any details on how to install OSX on one of these Chilli? :D

I'll PM the details over in a moment.

For the WIFI cards i always use this contact - very fast delivery, and decent prices too :)

Received, thanks! :D

how much ram can these take??

2gb maximum but as they come with 512k soldered to the board (1gb in the xp version) you can only stick a 1gb DIMM in there.

hmmm, tempting. but to be fair, a bit overkill really

hmmm, tempting. but to be fair, a bit overkill really

If you're talking about the extra memory, it comes to around £11 inc VAT, the airport compatible card is £15 inc VAT, so for an additional £26 you've 'pimped-out' you Hackbook Micro :D

None in any of the stores here - and I was told no more expected... :crying: Could really have done with one too :(

Got one. Did my taxes and they weren't as bad as I thought so I treated my self to one. Keyboard is a little small for my real man sized fingers but i'm getting used to it. Tis very nice though. In a tea shop in Liverpool. So light. Just drops into my manbag, Great for these sort of days when I want to get out but cba lugging a 15'' laptop around.

Got one. Did my taxes and they weren't as bad as I thought so I treated my self to one. Keyboard is a little small for my real man sized fingers but i'm getting used to it. Tis very nice though. In a tea shop in Liverpool. So light. Just drops into my manbag, Great for these sort of days when I want to get out but cba lugging a 15'' laptop around.

(y)

When you cracking it open?? :D

Wanna make sure i'm 100% happy with the keyboard first. Its a little fiddly at the mo.

Hi,

How well does Photoshop CS3 run on it? I seem to use Lightroom 2 mostly these days, just thinking if i could use one if these instead!?

Cheers

There are so many new models coming out in the near future. I reckon the netbooks are here for a long time. People seem to want the same performance as they are getting now for less money, which kind of makes sense instead of more power for more money. I want one. Thinking of either the MSI Wind or one of the new Acer 10 models.

Incidentally, there is a new OS being released in 2009 specifically for netbooks. Take a look at Jolicloud. Some screenshots.

If you're talking about the extra memory, it comes to around £11 inc VAT, the airport compatible card is £15 inc VAT, so for an additional £26 you've 'pimped-out' you Hackbook Micro :D

i'm a windows man myself, but thinking bout what i will actually use it for(ie. internet and on site storage, maybe an odd letter or so)it doesnt really need anything other than the limpy linux it came with. the screen is too small for editing or any decent photo viewing,:shrug:

if i need to do editing or run some more power hungry programs i got the normal 15" lappy or at home the desktop.

Went looking for one today, first store was sold out, second one (Auchinairn) had it on display at 198, (120gb version) but I mentioned it was 150 down south,so 150 it was for a 160gb :)

A lot better than I was expecting it to be, even straight out the box (using it to type this),need to do the upgrades now...

What memory does it run and where's best to get it and is the Windows operating system worth installing?

They run standard DDR2 Laptop memory (533mhz)

There are only a couple of type that cause issues.

A good compatibility list is HERE

Windows runs surprisingly well as long as most of the crap is stripped out of the install.

I've used TinyXP on one and it runs fine even with the 512mb as its a custom build for the Aspire One

They run standard DDR2 Laptop memory (533mhz)

There are only a couple of type that cause issues.

A good compatibility list is HERE

Windows runs surprisingly well as long as most of the crap is stripped out of the install.

I've used TinyXP on one and it runs fine even with the 512mb as its a custom build for the Aspire One

(y)

What needs stripped out of Windows and which version will work best, any ideas?

I ordered myself a Samsung nc10 lastnight, ill let you know how it goes when it arrives :D

That's the one I fancied, the bigger screen is a boon, it'll be interesting to see how you get on with it :)

Back