New Nikkors due to be announced today

That was me. :D

I sent the link to Nikon UK with a somewhat caustic email basically saying that I would not be exactly chuffed if the 2 D700's I had just ordered had been superceded before they had even been delivered.

Nikon UK sent an equally caustic email back (good on 'em ;)) saying there was no announcement re the D700 and I guess that they have had a quick word with certain retailers.

To be fair they would never have said anything else....

Thats not what you said yesterday Guy :p

I know - I'm trying to stay positive here!

Well you mught if you had just ordered 2 D700's and 5 lenses!

Ali, under distance sellers regulations you can cancel any order made over the phone, by post or over the internet even after goods have been received (within a certain timeframe).

Should Nikon announce a D700x/D800/D900 tomorrow, you're well within your rights to send the D700's back.

If it were the case that you hold off for the next rumour to come out then you'd only feel safe ordering say 6 months after that new model comes out for fear of a new one. More often the case with PC stuff, the moment you buy a new graphics card or new laptop there's a greater spec one out that's a little bit faster.

The D700's ticked your criteria when looking at bodies and it's going to do a damn good job, plus any new model is more than likely going to be more expensive. If you had held off ordering the D700's and they launched a new version with a few more megapixels or video that made no real difference to print results and you didn't care for Video as a lot of people don't. But still had to fork out £300 extra per body, would you be annoyed that you then couldn't order today's D700 spec? If money's not an issue then fair enough :D

I'd still feel the same though, it'd be nice to be forewarned that a new model is coming out, or at least drop some hints with stock not being replenished at dealers.

I do think there's room for more megapixels in the nikon range below the D3x though, the 5DMKii has managed it. Side by side with my D700 there's nothing in it

Ali, under distance sellers regulations you can cancel any order made over the phone, by post or over the internet even after goods have been received (within a certain timeframe).

Should Nikon announce a D700x/D800/D900 tomorrow, you're well within your rights to send the D700's back.

No disrespect to him, but it'd be interesting to hear Ian Kerso's reply.

Just a thought, but if Nikon stuck the D3x sensor in the D700 and applying their D3->D3x pricing logic, wouldn't it price the D700x out of the market?

Just a thought, but if Nikon stuck the D3x sensor in the D700 and applying their D3->D3x pricing logic, wouldn't it price the D700x out of the market?

Out of what market though? Anyone wanting a cheaper lighter D3x would still buy one. Remember that Nikon rarely make a camera that directly competes with any other manufacturers bodies. The D3x is probably the only one really.

Pete

If you had held off ordering the D700's and they launched a new version with a few more megapixels that made no real difference to print results But still had to fork out £300 extra per body, would you be annoyed that you then couldn't order today's D700 spec?

Please excuse the selective quote for brevity but yes I would have paid £300 more to have one body with more MP. I'd still have bought one D700 with today's spec and waited for the other with higher MP :clap:

I know, I want everything and I'm unreasonable but it's genetic, I'm a woman! :rules:

i don't think it's too unreasonable if you've asked nikon and they've said theres no d700 upgrade in the pipeline, if they'd have said they can't disclose then that's fair enough :)

Out of what market though? Anyone wanting a cheaper lighter D3x would still buy one. Remember that Nikon rarely make a camera that directly competes with any other manufacturers bodies. The D3x is probably the only one really.

Pete

Well, it would essentially be a high-end consumer body priced above a professional one. It's natural competitor would be the 5D MkII, yet if the same premium was applied that there is with the D3x then it would be nearly twice the price...

Well, it would essentially be a high-end consumer body priced above a professional one. It's natural competitor would be the 5D MkII, yet if the same premium was applied that there is with the D3x then it would be nearly twice the price...

Nikon see the D700 as a professional body, and so would a D700x if it existed. Plus it wouldn't be more than a D3s, it'd be close I suspect but not more expensive. Different bodies for different uses.

It would be interesting, but nothing more, If he or anyone wants to sell as a business you have to comply with the law of the land.

Thanks for the legal position Barney but that's why I asked the question of the manufacturer before purchasing. It may be legal but not something I wish to engage in :)

I'm really looking forward to them arriving, new release or not and it's looking more like not at the moment which will make me an even happier bunny :)

Nikon see the D700 as a professional body, and so would a D700x if it existed. Plus it wouldn't be more than a D3s, it'd be close I suspect but not more expensive. Different bodies for different uses.

D3 £2950
D3s £3499
D3x £4799

which would translate to:

D700 £1745
D700x £3549

which would put a D700x on the market at twice the price of a 5D MKII and fifty quid more than a D3s.

I think Ali has got a nice pair anyway.:D I bet they do the job.:naughty:

I think Ali has got a nice pair anyway.:D I bet they do the job.:naughty:

Ooh.jpg

D3 £2950
D3s £3499
D3x £4799

which would translate to:

D700 £1745
D700x £3549

which would put a D700x on the market at twice the price of a 5D MKII and fifty quid more than a D3s.

You're using street prices which changes the results.

D3 = £3999 ( D3s = £4199 So effectively the D3 range went up £200 since release )
D3x = £5999 ( Price adjust to say £6300 in todays money if it was released now as an S )

D700 = £1999 ( Price adjusted £2100 for a D700s )
D700x = ( D700+ D3s/D3x difference ) £4199

:D

But even then, you're correct about it being a lot more expensive than the 5DMk11 ( Which I think has a RRP of £2250 ) but then Nikon see the D700 as the 5D competitor so they wouldn't pitch the D700x against it. And they have no-where to go on pricing without screwing up the D700 prices.

This is partly why I don't think we will get a D700x anytime soon, even though it's rumored. I think we will get a D700s, and maybe a D3xs though.

Pete

Well ... I've ordered my D700 today, so if there is some super dooper new D7/8/900/s/x whatever you can all laugh at me.

Arrives tomorrow, 14-24 does not arrive until next Wednesday :bonk:

Nikon website has just been updated again - a new D800 due in April! :)

LOL - just kidding!

Hey Simon, it's a shame you live so far away.

I have a 14-24 with no blooming camera to put it on! :bang:

And thank you lensflare (Simon) for that glowing recommendation, coffee is on me! :D

It's a waiting game now for me Ali and I haven't finished yet ... I'm going to Las Vegas in April and the 70-200 and possibly 24-70 may fall into by hand luggage before coming home !!!

I would be interested to know your thoughts of these other two lenses, I already know the 14-24 is amazing, having watched your earlier thread run to 5 pages !!!

It's Radiohead's (Guy) opinion I was interested in. :) He's one of my own favourite photographers and I'll be stalking......sorry interested to see what he does with it in the next few months. I'll bet it's something a bit special :D

Simonhi - don't even think about buying the 24-70
just BUY it!! :) - Fantastic glass!

so no new Nikon kit today???

It's Radiohead's (Guy) opinion I was interested in. :) He's one of my own favourite photographers and I'll be stalking......sorry interested to see what he does with it in the next few months. I'll bet it's something a bit special :D

Aw shucks - I didn't know that!
:love:

Did you mean the 14-24?

:thinking:

Dunno 'bout you, but that's how I buy my cameras :D

Yes but every camera has a different amount that is knocked off percentage wise at retail due to value etc. You need to work out what the retail price of something will be before you can even guess at a street price ;)

Yes but every camera has a different amount that is knocked off percentage wise at retail due to value etc. You need to work out what the retail price of something will be before you can even guess at a street price ;)

Even if you use MRSP then the D700x would (as you've shown) work out as more expensive than a D3s. Nikon would have to charge less of a premium for the larger sensor in the 700x than the 3x to allow it to sit comfortably in their current line up and I can't see that going down too well with D3x owners.....

Even if you use MRSP then the D700x would (as you've shown) work out as more expensive than a D3s. Nikon would have to charge less of a premium for the larger sensor in the 700x than the 3x to allow it to sit comfortably in their current line up and I can't see that going down too well with D3x owners.....

Well my calculations showed they would be the same MRSP, we can only speculate at what the street price might end up being. Lets face it, if you did look at street prices a D700 was half the price of a D3, I don't think that upset that many D3 owners.

Well my calculations showed they would be the same MRSP, we can only speculate at what the street price might end up being. Lets face it, if you did look at street prices a D700 was half the price of a D3, I don't think that upset that many D3 owners.

Certainly not when they added the cost of a grip, battery, charger etc.

Back