EXPEED 4 processing
ISO 100-6400 standard, up to 25600 expanded
5 fps continuous shooting
39 point AF system, 9 sensors cross type
2016 pixel RGB metering sensor
1080p60 video recording, built-in stereo mic
1.04M dot 3.2" vari-angle LCD monitor

Should be interesting.

Hopefully the D400/D7200 should be round the corner soon.

Last edited:
Looks interesting but not that much less than the 7100 to be honest. Direct competition to the 700d which it probably beats but more expensive.

Seems it's got built in wi-fi and gps, also looks like the new kit lens can be had with it the 18-140mm with a metal mount at last.

Finally inbuilt wifi and gps from Nikon. Lets hope they add them to all of their future cameras

It would appear to fall somewhere between the Canon 700D and 70D.

Finally inbuilt wifi and gps from Nikon. Lets hope they add them to all of their future cameras

Fully agree, the current GPS workaround is very messy with a lead hanging next to the camera.

GPS and Wifi is an interested addition on a 5 series, bodes well for it's inclusion elsewhere too. Also looking forward to seeing what a D7200 brings.

GPS and Wifi is an interested addition on a 5 series, bodes well for it's inclusion elsewhere too. Also looking forward to seeing what a D7200 brings.

Wi-fi, gps, touch screen, and new focusing system would be nice to match what the Canon 70D can do.

i just had an email popup come up in Outlook saying Announcing the new Nikon D5, i almost **** a brick til i opened it and it was the 5300 :LOL:

Wi-fi, gps, touch screen, and new focusing system would be nice to match what the Canon 70D can do.

....I look forward to seeing the comparitive reviews but suspect that the Canon 70D will have the edge.

Hmmn ... says the sensor is 24.2Mp without OLPF, so presumably not the same as the D7100 sensor (24.1Mp)?

I opened this email earlier, kinda wondered why this was released/what changes had been made apart from WiFi/GPS
Looking forward to seeing what the D3200 successor will be like though!

( novice question ) why do you want wifi in a camera ? I understand it if you're a pro shooting ( eg ) sport and need to get photos somewhere on a deadline but this is still a midrange camera.

Presumably most people will still go home and edit their shots prior to uploading somewhere ? If you're not near a hotspot then what ? The wifi is useless ?

Maybe I'm missing the basics... ?

( novice question ) why do you want wifi in a camera ? I understand it if you're a pro shooting ( eg ) sport and need to get photos somewhere on a deadline but this is still a midrange camera. Presumably most people will still go home and edit their shots prior to uploading somewhere ? If you're not near a hotspot then what ? The wifi is useless ? Maybe I'm missing the basics... ?

Nearly everyone's mobile is a hotspot these days. Camera to mobile or tablet, edited on mobile or tablet, then uploaded.

Fair enough. I'd best either change mobile supplier or avoid this camera then :) or I'll become annoyed.

I guess there is a market for "ease" as editing via mobiles is certainly quicker than via a laptop. Not better but quicker. Personally, I wouldn't use it I think.

Would you ?

How much photo editing can you do on your phone?! It's not something I'm interested in, I just don't understand the point in it apart from remote shooting.

Sorry, by mobiles I meant tablets etc.

Anyway, I'm in agreement. It's not for me. And certainly not at £730 which is bonkers.

It's more for macro and remote work than simply uploading and editing shots on a phone or tablet tbh. Wifi is definitely useful

It's more for macro and remote work than simply uploading and editing shots on a phone or tablet tbh. Wifi is definitely useful

I agree wifi has its uses but the battery is t upto much on the 5300 and my worry would be that the wifi would drain it further. Whats the buffer like on the 5300?

Fair enough. I'd best either change mobile supplier or avoid this camera then :) or I'll become annoyed.

I guess there is a market for "ease" as editing via mobiles is certainly quicker than via a laptop. Not better but quicker. Personally, I wouldn't use it I think.

Would you ?

I do 100% of my editing on my iPad, currently use the Camera Connection Kit but Wifi would be easier and would mean I don't need to remember my Kit when I'm away for a few days.

Plus it opens up other things, presumably you can use the Nikon phone/tablet apps to enable LiveView on your screen and take photos remotely etc?

Plus it opens up other things, presumably you can use the Nikon phone/tablet apps to enable LiveView on your screen and take photos remotely etc?

Yes - a few other cameras do this already and although maybe only of interest to a minority I think it's brilliant for birds and other wildlife etc. At the moment I use a wireless remote trigger but you just have to guess the focus (prefocus and switch to manual) and when to click, whereas if you had a smartphone or tablet showing you the camera view and tap to shoot that would be so much better/easier. Only problem is that the shutter noise scares them off sometimes so you only get one shot - need a silent shutter camera but this may only be possible with mirrorless cameras?

Finally a Nikon with built in Wi-Fi & GPS. For video it's also the first Nikon to do 60fps in 1080p.

It's now becoming glaringly obvious why they held back in several areas with the D7100. Maybe in 2013 we'll see a new flagship DX model with this tech, EXPEED 4 and better buffer as there is still room in the market for a top end DX model.

Finally a Nikon with built in Wi-Fi & GPS. For video it's also the first Nikon to do 60fps in 1080p.

It's now becoming glaringly obvious why they held back in several areas with the D7100. Maybe in 2013 we'll see a new flagship DX model with this tech, EXPEED 4 and better buffer as there is still room in the market for a top end DX model.

I dont see what the d5300 offers over the 7100. There is gos and wifi neither of which I want really. The 7100 has a semi pro body and weather sealing. And you are forgetting that the 7100 has been out 8months already

I think some people may be missing the point....

WiFi could be used for shooting to a tablet and editing or even for "pro" tethered use. But its main purpose will surely be for uploading to Facebook. Snap....upload.....like. Simple. I guess you could also use it directly to YouTube or Vine as well.

Similarly GPS. Handing for geotagging FB posts (they love location) and also Flickr and whatever's going to replace Flickr soon.

Low end cameras have already been pretty much destroyed by phones. Mid range cameras are next. Right now, an entry level Nikon is way ahead of any phone but lots of people will go for ease of upload over image quality. After all, how good does a picture need to be at 800px?

Mind you, if I were a dealer I'd be pretty angry with Nikon right now. How long has the 5200 been out? 15 minutes? I pity the fool who bought a load of stock of those.....

WiFi is merely an option and for those who have a use for it, it's far more convenient for it to be built-in. Also, rival Canon have already got WiFi internally included in their 70D and Nikon have been criticised by users for only offering it as a bolt-on extra option.

Low end cameras have indeed lost sales to phones but that's because they compete in the same mass market of people who only want convenience and who GENERALLY take snaps and not even pictures. Yes, I am generalising but most are more concerned about what the subject is doing rather than creating aesthetically pleasing pictures. Generalising again, Instagram often (not always!) just polishes a turd and makes the author feel better about their original shot.

Camera designers and manufacturers must respond to market trends in order to survive in business and anyway, sometimes a mass market highly profitable product can support a less profitable product.

Those who would buy DSLRs tend to care much more about the pictures they are creating and are an entirely different market to phone camera users. There is some overlap and hence so many options are offered.

I have a mobile phone with camera, an iPad, a true pocket-size compact, I post daily on facebook, but I only use my dedicated digital cameras for creating pictures and I would never want to use WiFi to transfer photos direct as I prefer to edit/check them on my 27" desktop Mac first.

Btw, every time facebook asks me to geotag my photos I feel a strong urge to write "Mind your own effing business!!".

Last edited:
Back