New Nikon fit lens advice

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm after a new lens for my D7000, I enjoy macro photography, but don't have a suitable lens.

I have about £200 to spend and would appreciate some suggestions

My current collection:

Nikkor 18-105 AF-S VR(kit lens)
Nikkor 55-200 AF-S VR
Nikkor 35mm AF-S
Samyang 8mm Fisheye

You "might" be able to pickup a sigma 105mm F2.8 macro lens for around £200 (give or take £30 ish!) second hand, which would be ideal for macro as its a dedicated lens for it and its razor sharp even at F2.8. I'd highly recommend saving up some more cash if you can't afford one at the moment also, as buying the right lens once, stops you buying twice!

The tamron 90mm macro is widely regarded as the best budget macro. You should be able to find a used one for £200.

I second the recommendation for the Tamron, it doesn't hunt anywhere near as much as the Sigma, it is absolutely tack sharp, it has a focus lock (macro - mid-range/mid-range - infinity) to speed up focusing and it's built pretty well. My only complaint would be that the AF isn't perfect, it extends a fair bit (not as much as the Sigma, but obviously more than the excellent Canon 100) and that if you get dirt on the front element it can be quite hard to clean as it's so recessed. If you find yourself wanting to move on and do loads of macro work, these lenses hold their value very well so you can sell and move to the fantastic Nikon versions.

The Tokina 100mm is also well worth a look. It doesn't seem like there is much to pick between any of them. In fact I genuinely don't remember reading a poor review of any dedicated macro lens.

Back