New nikon lens

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all
Been a little while since i last posted,loving my new Nikon D7000,but think it's time i upgraded from the sigma 70-200 f2.8 lens.I am looking for a nikkor lens this time,and i have seen a few of the earlier ones going on ebay quite cheap.I have my eye on this one

Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 80-200 mm f/2.8 D ED AF Lens
Now i realise that this is the non VR one,but prices for those are huge,i was just wondering if anyone on the forum has/had owned this one,cheapest i have seen it is £439,would it be a good next move?i do have the sigma 70-200 f2.8 non OS one and i do get on well with it,so i am thinking that a non VR one would be ok,i do however shoot mainly sports.
any feedback appreciated.

Id say the 80-200 is a slight down grade from the sigma. Unless you are getting the AF-S version. The AF on the AF-D version will be much slower.

Seems a pretty pointless exercise to me, but then, its not my money!

Whats wrong with the Sigma you have? Mine can take on any Nikon version and come out either on top or side by side, I really can't see the point in changing unless you just want the "nikon" badge on your lens. If it was for the Nikon VR version, I could just understand that, but to go from a sigma 70-200 non OS to the nikon non VR equivalent is a bit pointless.

I would much prefer the VR version,and i am looking into how much i could get a VR l version for,also the VR is 70-200.I just thought that the optics would be better on the nikkor.

This is weird.

If you search around you'll see the sigma OS is superior to both the 80-200 and the 70-200 VR1...

What is it you feel you need to upgrade???

*Edit* sorry...getting old. Just seen non-os.

Last edited:
I dont have the sigma OS,honestly i thought i would get better images with the Nikkor?

I dont have the sigma OS,honestly i thought i would get better images with the Nikkor?
Just seen and edited my post.

Upload a RAW file of something around the house with a bit of texture to it, where you feel the lens is at it's best. Best I could do to help would be to supply a similar image using the Tamron 70-200 vc for you to compare.

If there's nothing in particular you feel you'll gain from a sideways move, I would stick with your Sigma and save for a significant upgrade.

i did just think that i would get better pictures with the nikkor,but if i am wrong then i will stick with the sigma

I was in a similar situation last year and after much deliberation, sold the sigma 70-200 for the nikon 80-200 afs.
The reason being that i felt my copy of the sigma was quite slow af in low light when i was shooting a cycling event. The nikon afs is much quicker af and a touch sharper at the 200 end but apart from that, i dont think theres much in it.

the only other thing i was considering is maybe more length,say 300mm,as i do mainly shoot sports,and unfortunatley i dont have a teddy lol.

I have the AF-D version of the 80-200, and it's fine for shooting the kids, and nature, and events... maybe not for sports, but not my need...

Back