New Nikon Software...

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
Nikon have announced a new FREE software package which is to replace Nikon View - Nikon View NX.

It's is to be packaged with all new dSLR cameras (at least) and will be free for download on their site.

It will have a browser and a viewer which will handle Nikon RAW NEF files, allowing many changes that can be made in Capture NX.

I'm really looking forward to this as Picture Project is c**p and I adored Nikon View....

About time they offered some free decent software, cheers for the heads up will have a look when I get home tonight :).

I read about this... About a year and a half ago.

I still use Nikon View - nice n' fast for looking through / at NEF's

I have to admit.... I've only seen it through their Pro literature. Nothing published on t'Internet yet...:(

Got to admit. It has to happen. Can't imagine D3 or D300 users getting to grips with PictureProject :thinking:

I was reading the first releases for this at the same time we heard about that fangled new Capture NX. At that point it was slated for a release before NX, and had a stack of literature about it on the various Nikon websites.
Since then it seems to have fallen off the radar. So I wouldn't be holding your breath :(

Well, at the moment all Nikon dSLRs are supported in NikonView, so with the advent of the D3 and D300 there is no current browsing software to support them. Unless you count PictureProject :bang:

I'd say it has to be..... you can't Canon beating hardware without the software to back it up ;)

Edit..... not certain about the D40(x), D80 of D50...

I've stumbled upon this yesterday, i think, but it's not available yet.
One guy over at Nikonians forums has had the opportunity to test it and use it and from what he wrote there, it's much better than either PictureProject or the old Nikon View.
It's what Nikon View Pro should have been, but probably better and more integrated with Capture NX.

I don't care about its cooperation with Capture NX, but if it'll be what Nikon View was and a little better at that, then it would be awesome.

Can't wait :bang:

for those who cant wait....

I'm gonna pimp this again cos it's the best browser I've found yet for images, speed, quality, tagging etc.

Well, it fits into my workflow too.

And...you can keep re-registering the trial version provided you have a domain based email.

PHOTO_MECHANIC

Download links can be found here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=24780638

I got my copy.

The only two things that tick me off are that the preview images seem to have a more aggressive noise reduction applied to them by default and Picture Control Utility displays some silly sample image instead of the current image.
Other than that, it works much better for me than the old Nikon View 6.2.7, which wasn't all that bad, but still seriously lacked some features.

Just downloaded and installed - looks good to me so far.

Nice easy to use browser for viewing the RAWs and tag editing, etc.

I like the idea of being able to see where your focus area was too - nice touch!!

Anth.

Having downloaded, installed and used ViewNX I have to say I was impressed

UNTIL----

I went to transfer some files :( It aint got any transfer functionality.... Grrr!

Found in the Help that it needs Nikon Transfer installed. I thought I already had that with Nikon View..... thought it may be a Registry error and was about to raise a 'bug' with Nikon when I discovered there is a new bit of Software to download..... Nikon Transfer.

Done it - installed it..... gonna use it now!

Back