New Nikon Z (zee) 7 Mirrorless.

Nikkor-Z-58mm-F0-95-Noct-z7.jpg

Real stealthy :ROFLMAO:

https://briansmith.com/manual-focus-nikon-z-58mm-f0-95-noct-lens-will-cost-6000/

Yes, that's it. The sole beneficiary of the Zed's massive lens mount. And the rest of the time, it's just making a huge hole in the camera and taking up valuable space that could be used for, err... triple memory cards perhaps.

Such a useful focal length 58mm, so light weight and with handy 'real-time' manual focus, all for a mere $6000. Yet every review has mentioned the big Z mount as some kind of amazing breakthrough. It's just a bluddy hole :rolleyes: Maybe Canon will make one big enough to wear as a hat.

Seriously, I think it's great that Nikon is making lenses like that, but let's not pretend it's anything more than a collectors' curiosity.

Last edited:
It could be that some users (prosumers) just don't care about dual cards as they don't see their work as a valuable asset; meanwhile the other group just takes it for granted now with all the pro sports and studio cameras out there and don't even think about it any more.... For example if I asked you is spoon a valuable dining table feature amongst 50 others you wouldn't even think about it. But in a chinese restaurant setting you are just likely to get a couple of sticks and tough luck if you haven't had practice before!
I know I find eating my soup with sticks really hard :D

Yes, that's it. The sole beneficiary of the Zed's massive lens mount. And the rest of the time, it's just making a huge hole in the camera and taking up valuable space that could be used for, err... triple memory cards perhaps.

Such a useful focal length 58mm, so light weight and with handy 'real-time' manual focus, all for a mere $6000. Yet every review has mentioned the big Z mount as some kind of amazing breakthrough. It's just a bluddy hole :rolleyes: Maybe Canon will make one big enough to wear as a hat.

Seriously, I think it's great that Nikon is making lenses like that, but let's not pretend it's anything more than a collectors' curiosity.
Yep having a huge lens mount for that one 0.95 lens does seem a silly choice over dual slots. I am hoping that in generations to come the Zeds will have dual slots though. That being said, unless the body gets an overhaul it seem unlikely :(

Yep having a huge lens mount for that one 0.95 lens does seem a silly choice over dual slots. I am hoping that in generations to come the Zeds will have dual slots though. That being said, unless the body gets an overhaul it seem unlikely :(
I don't think it was a larger mount or two cards, even with a smaller mount that wouldn't have affected the height of the body, if anything a smaller mount may have led to a smaller body. They had the option to do both because they were not starting from a previous body, these could be any size they wanted. Two cards don't fit because they decided to not make it big enough for two cards, simple as that.

Again with the large mount for the Nikon for f0.95 lens but how true is this when there's at least one f0.95 for the smaller Sony mirrorless mount, ditto MFT?

Is this something that's getting hyped to death or is there actually something in it and if there is something in it how come the smaller mounts seem to be able to do f0.95?

Who on earth is going to buy the f0.95 lenses, they are probably going to be in the minority given the rumoured $6000 price tags.... seems like a marketing specification to try and "wow" the crowds.

Last edited:
I was going to say perhaps the black hole is something to do with the flange mount distance or perhaps they have future proofed it for a medium format sensor in the future .

or have they deliberately shot themselves in the foot to retain sales of there DSLR market while appeasing the moaners . only time will tell . it will sell due to there great fanboy base but it sustainable quantities is anyones guess ,and after six months with MFT all I can add is do you really NEED full frame for mirrorless

... it will sell due to there great fanboy base but it sustainable quantities is anyones guess ,and after six months with MFT all I can add is do you really NEED full frame for mirrorless

Well, after 8 years with MFT and possibly a bit longer all I can say it that although the system has come on a lot and the latest 16 and 20mp chips very probably eclipse the original Canon 5D FF has moved on too and MFT just can't match the image quality I can get from my relatively lowly 1st generation mirrorless Sony A7.

That may not matter if "all" we want is a picture for web or electronic viewing as a whole picture but if we are inclined to want the best image quality that'll fit in a small bag and not frighten people too much (like a DSLR could) FF mirrorless is quite a bit ahead of MFT.

The reason I've stayed with both is that I like MFT for it's compact size and low weight and cost and for the fact that it's good enough but I also like my A7 which I use with compact lenses so there really isn't that much more weight and bulk than with MFT and I use the A7 more for pictures when the quality I can get from it may just matter that bit more to me.

Last edited:
Who on earth is going to buy the f0.95 lenses, they are probably going to be in the minority given the rumoured $6000 price tags.... seems like a marketing specification to try and "wow" the crowds.

I will for fun at 1/10th of the price...which you can get on the E-mount. $6000? Take a hike, that’s more than the Otus.

I will for fun at 1/10th of the price...which you can get on the E-mount. $6000? Take a hike, that’s more than the Otus.

It's going to be a showcase lens to demonstrate what Nikon can do with the bigger mount after years of working with the comparatively narrow F-mount. If they're going to exceed (or maybe even surpass) the Otus @ 0.95 then $6k isn't outrageous considering the closest competitor would be a Leica Noctilux.

It's going to be a showcase lens to demonstrate what Nikon can do with the bigger mount after years of working with the comparatively narrow F-mount. If they're going to exceed (or maybe even surpass) the Otus @ 0.95 then $6k isn't outrageous considering the closest competitor would be a Leica Noctilux.

Coming from Canon, 20 years after the launch of their 50/1.0 Autofocus.

Showcasing you can’t make an auto focus lens after 20 years of research seems a bit of an own goal. F/0.05 really that difficult to overcome with 20 years and also a larger mount?

That’s how I see it.

Showcasing you can’t make an auto focus lens after 20 years of research seems a bit of an own goal. F/0.05 really that difficult to overcome with 20 years and also a larger mount?

That’s how I see it.
F/0.05 will be impossible to overcome I have no doubt. ;) Sorry, couldn't resist. :ROFLMAO:

A showcase lens will not make up for their silly choices. 1 memory card slot araaagh!

That’s how I see it.

That 50/1.0 is a 'character' (ooh that word again) lens though, unlike the Otus which is really more about being as optically perfect as possible. I'm pretty sure Nikon would be able to design an AF 1.0 if they wanted to leave a lot of aberrations uncorrected like the Canon 50L, but it's obvious they're aiming for an even more esoteric market with their new Noct.

A showcase lens will not make up for their silly choices. 1 memory card slot araaagh!

As someone who shoots jobs on film, not an issue for me. :p

That 50/1.0 is a 'character' (ooh that word again) lens though, unlike the Otus which is really more about being as optically perfect as possible. I'm pretty sure Nikon would be able to design an AF 1.0 if they wanted to leave a lot of aberrations uncorrected like the Canon 50L, but it's obvious they're aiming for an even more esoteric market with their new Noct.

As someone who shoots jobs on film, not an issue for me. :p

They can if they want to? Lol

So they chose not to because of what? Showing people they make bad decisions?

And you can talk about the faults of the Canon all you like about CA and sharpness etc, none of which got to do it’s auto focus motor. It has one. The Noct won’t.

Again with the large mount for the Nikon for f0.95 lens but how true is this when there's at least one f0.95 for the smaller Sony mirrorless mount, ditto MFT?

Is this something that's getting hyped to death or is there actually something in it and if there is something in it how come the smaller mounts seem to be able to do f0.95?

The physical size of the aperture is related to both f/number and focal length of course. It's focal length divided by f/number, so a 58mm f/0.95 needs a 61mm aperture somewhere along the line. Nikon Z mount is 55mm, Nikon F is 44mm, Canon EOS is 54mm, Sony E is 46mm. So looking at those mount diameters, none of them is big enough. Looking at other lenses, Nikon's recently announced 105/1.4 has a 75mm aperture which appears way too big in theory, but that's nothing compared to 600/4 with 150mm.

So how does that work then? That physical aperture size has to exist, but it's shifted forward away from the lens mount and optically reduced while retaining the exact same aperture/focal length ratio so it all works as it should. The 'optical reduction' elements just in front of the mount are clear to see with the 58/0.95 Noct, as they are in most super-telephotos.

The whole hoohar over the new Z mount has been blown way out of proportion. It makes optical design of a very few and very extreme aperture lenses easier, that's all. And it's only 1mm bigger than Canon anyway.

Plus it was in the list as an option so must have had some importance in the first place. ;)

What are the most important things you'd want from a Canon or Nikon mirrorless camera?
  • Full compatibility / full performance with existing lenses13.0% Time will tell if it is full performance.
  • High resolution sensor11.3%
  • Sports-ready AF system10.7%
  • Lifelike viewfinder10.2% Seems to be one of the nest so far, whether that means lifelike....
  • In-body stabilization7.9%
  • Compact size6.3%
  • Small, affordable primes5.4%
  • Good battery life4.5%
  • Lightweight4.3%
  • Easy-to-use AF system4.0%
  • Good quality video3.8%
  • Responsive controls and menus3.4%
  • Effective weather sealing3.2%
  • Fast primes2.5%
  • High speed shooting1.9%
  • Substantial grip1.6%
  • Pro video features such as waveforms / 10-bit capture1.5%
  • 16-bit Raw1.4%
  • Configurable controls/interface1.4% Unknown how configurable the camera is yet.
  • Dual card slots1.0% For those that didn't know they only have one card slot. ;) :LOL:
  • Tele zooms0.5%
  • Top plate settings display0.3% Funny how third less people wanted this than dual card slots. :D
Total voters: 3,783

I think Nikon have done pretty well out of that list with what we know up to now. Some things may change after tests, reviews and users getting their hands on them of course. Not the memory card thing of course, but other things. ;) :LOL:

Btw, I don't know how their survey was set up, whether it was put all these features in order of importance, or more likely from surveys I have done on DPReview in the past, choose your top three. If it was the latter that could really skew the results imho. Small, affordable primes could have been a lot of people fourth choice, but because they had three answers of more importance to them that answer appears less significant than it may actually be to a lot of people. The power of statistics eh! ;)

How many people do you think voted thinking "surely a 3.5K camera will come with 2 card slots" :D

How that any £2k+ camera would! :rolleyes:

Just shows you should never assume anything until it is officially announced with finished and published specs. ;)

Sony A7RII/A7SII also only have one tbh. They were pretty expensive cameras.

They can if they want to? Lol

So they chose not to because of what? Showing people they make bad decisions?

And you can talk about the faults of the Canon all you like about CA and sharpness etc, none of which got to do it’s auto focus motor. It has one. The Noct won’t.

You were comparing it to the Otus which is also MF only. The Noct is a halo lens like the Otus or Noctilux, to show that Nikon can still build lenses on par with Zeiss and Leica. None of those lenses make much sense, but they’re cool exercises optical engineering.

There’s also an AF 50/1.2 coming out in 2020 as well, so there you go, they can do it. And again, if they wanted it to render like the 1.0L, they could probably do that too. Nikon are no slouches when it comes to lens making, they went toe to toe with the likes of Schneider and Rodenstock when they made LF lenses.

People seem to forget that Fuji started a system with three lenses much like Nikon have done, so be patient and give the system some time to mature.

People seem to forget that Fuji started a system with three lenses much like Nikon have done, so be patient and give the system some time to mature.

No we want all 20 of lenses on roadmap now :D
Then we can complain about how huge they are :p

Sony has some small lenses. Maybe Nikon are hoping samyang will fill in the gaps for small pancakes :D

A small, sharp Tessar-design lens would be brilliant, something like an updated version of Nikon’s 45/2.8 pancake. Ideally open it up to f/2 and you’ll have the perfect balance of tiny, characterful, and sharp when you need it.

Also a retro Df version of a Z body would be cool, they could definitely get much closer to the size/shape of an F2/F3 with the lack of mirror box.

Last edited:
Back