New Old Film Challenge #105 - Down By The River - CHAT - POLL ADDED

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Chat here if you want to. :)

Chat here if you want to.
Sounds like the message I have on my answerphone - imagine a dry northern intonation: "Leave a message if you want to". An attempt to sort the wheat from the chaff. Does it work? Haven't a clue.

Who are you and what have you done with Brian?
Thought this was a quiet (if sometimes contentious) photo forum, but I've strayed into a live panto!

This is the shot just before the rainbow, about 30 seconds!
The scan in the contest thread is better than this one, in that here the shadows are blocked and the highlights blown as well. What happened? How do the images here compare with the original transparencies? If I ever scanned Kodachrome, it was a long, long time ago. What was your digitising workflow? I'm a decade older than you, which gives me the authority to ask.

The scan in the contest thread is better than this one, in that here the shadows are blocked and the highlights blown as well. What happened? How do the images here compare with the original transparencies? If I ever scanned Kodachrome, it was a long, long time ago. What was your digitising workflow? I'm a decade older than you, which gives me the authority to ask.

That would be because I accepted the default settings the scanner set for the shot without the rainbow and it has just languished on the hard drive till now, properties say that was a done on a PIE PF3600PRO . The rainbow shot was actually better exposed as I read the meter again when the sun came out, that helped and I have various scans using different scanners and software where I tweaked levels and curves so it looked more like the actual slide. The info on the file I downsampled for the main thread says I used - hold on to your hats - an Aldi webcam in box scanner... Oh the shame of it!

Oh the shame of it!
Perhaps a bout of communal sobbing is in order?

I wonder what a PIE PF3600PRO is - sounds like the name of a spaceship in a sci-fi novel. All digital stuff is a bit Dan dare, isn't it? Whoops - I said 'digital' in a film forum.

But come on, people - how else can analogue images appear on the internet?

Last edited:
Perhaps a bout of communal sobbing is in order?

I wonder what a PIE PF3600PRO is - sounds like the name of a spaceship in a sci-fi novel. All digital stuff is a bit Dan dare, isn't it? Whoops - I said 'digital' in a film forum.
That'll be a PacificImage Electronics scanner, and probably the superior version to the one I think I still have tucked away somewhere. :thinking: The one I have was sold by Jessops many years ago and could only scan 1 frame at a time, but I bought it secondhand and it was a thing of wonder in its day.

PS Digitise good, digital not so. ;)

Last edited:
That'll be a PacificImage Electronics scanner, and probably the superior version to the one I think I still have tucked away somewhere. :thinking: The one I have was sold by Jessops many years ago and could only scan 1 frame at a time, but I bought it secondhand and it was a thing of wonder in its day.

PS Digitise good, digital not so. ;)
The 3600pro could scratch and mangle a whole roll of 35mm negs fully automatically and unattended. It did slides one at a time slowly and did not like Kodachrome. I used the Aldi webcam scanner when I wanted to catalogue slides, it took 12 at a time in a feeder. Feed, scan, (rinse and repeat) in about 2 seconds a slide at 5Mp to jpg.

Thought this was a quiet (if sometimes contentious) photo forum, but I've strayed into a live panto!

Oh no you haven't! :D

Blimey, I can't believe it's taken 3 days for someone to do that! Must be the warm weather. ;)

Anyway, in an effort to get back on topic, it seems rivers have inspired many a fine photograph, and also more than a few songs, including this one from one of the most underrated UK musicians of the 60s/70s (which I thought I'd mention, as I don't suppose many of you will have heard it before?).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmMS1T4GEWY

I'll be away and off-line when voting time comes round, so best of luck everyone.

From the entries thread -
That's the thing with photography; photographs don't have to be sharp, perfectly exposed or technically outstanding to trigger memories; and, just like a river, the memories flow by as you look. :)
I have no memories of your particular place, but nevertheless various elements are familiar and the photo evinces a certain feeling. And you're somewhat right about technicalities - there is no such thing as a perfect image after all. But some images work well regardless (and others not so well).

This was a shortlisted alternative of mine - it was a toss-up really. Nikon with slide film, home-scanned.

upper-esk-1.jpg

Last edited:
Get yersel's votin' then.....(y)

Back