New Old Film Challenge discussion thread

Poll added for Challenge #207, 3 votes 3 days.

New challenge here...

New challenge here...

Ahem... ;)

@mdpF2 You were correct, my shot was in a location on the Nene. I got my locations mixed up as I'd been over near Towcester shooting by the canal around the same time.

@mdpF2 You were correct, my shot was in a location on the Nene. I got my locations mixed up as I'd been over near Towcester shooting by the canal around the same time.
I thought I was going mad! I didn't think the canal came over to Wellingborough.

Finally got the new challenge up (after a bit of a dither between Festival, Island and White!). Please keep any discussion on here rther than the pictures thread...

Closed and poll added. Don't need to have entered to vote, but don't vote for your own!

Here we are 4 days along with 4 entries so far, possibly because we've all been out and about. I'm sure I recall photos of historical re-enactments and other events where tents were certainly visible, so that would be good. And since it's the home of the shoehorn, remember that anything vaguely tent-like only has to be slightly visible to qualify (awnings, canopies, beach shelters, etc?) ;)

Dithering between a photo from 1972 and one from last month!

Seems like I've managed to create a poll using a tablet, so feel free to cast your votes!

So, as part of this discussion thread, I would like to ask everyone, participants, everyone involved, what are your voting criteria?

I'm not trying to suggest a set of rules and conditions for future challenges, far from it, everything seems perfect for me. I'm simply curious about how we objectively and subjectively select our favourite pictures. Technical excellence, adherence to the brief, subject matter, nostalgia, weirdness, colour or black and white? Well, I've just touched on a few ideas.

I'll have to think about this more deeply and perhaps illustrate my ideas with some examples.

Last edited:
I'm slightly different.
  1. Is it on subject (or at least a shoehorn)? This is the point of the competition for me - otherwise why have themes at all? I'm pretty strict on this. Even if I really like a photo, it doesn't get my vote if it's not on subject.
  2. Do I like it? This is the really subjective bit.
  3. Is it well taken (subject, composition, light etc.)? Can be the difference between two pictures I like equally.
  4. Is it technically good? As above. Technical excellence is trumped by how a picture makes me feel.
I never consider the location, or the equipment used, it's the end result that counts for me.

So #212 is up and takes you right round the bend! Closing 14 July IIRC as I'll be unavailable for a while before that. What twisty film photos can you find?

Poll added, vote for your favourite 3, but not your own!

The "Ye Olde Worlde" challenge ends this evening so there are still a few hours left to post a photo.

Poll updated to include a late entry, which I have allowed cos it's a good'n.

So well sorted it cornered like it ran on rails...

unless you went into the corner too quick and it understeered...

or you gave it to much throttle and it oversteered

(maybe a little bit of a shoehorn?)

View attachment 397316

Olympus Mju

Kodakcolor Gold

About 1990
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Just about the finest bit of shoehorning in the New Old Film Challenge I've seen in years, As @Boots said, it's about as far from driving like it's on rails as you can get, I had one back in the 80's, I loved it but it was one of the worst handling cars I had ever driven.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Just about the finest bit of shoehorning in the New Old Film Challenge I've seen in years, As @Boots said, it's about as far from driving like it's on rails as you can get, I had one back in the 80's, I loved it but it was one of the worst handling cars I had ever driven.
And, like a lot of cars of this era, the bodywork was made from an alloy of steel and alka-seltzer ;)

Absolutely, my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek as I typed. I did quite like the oversteer you could induce very easily at quite modest speeds - great fun. But it wasn't a car you would choose if you wanted to get anywhere in a hurry. I remember a drive back from Bristol in the rain. It just seemed to go on for ever. And the wipers were just there to smear the rain.
And, like a lot of cars of this era, the bodywork was made from an alloy of steel and alka-seltzer ;)
Huh? There was steel in there?

Absolutely, my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek as I typed. I did quite like the oversteer you could induce very easily at quite modest speeds - great fun. But it wasn't a car you would choose if you wanted to get anywhere in a hurry. I remember a drive back from Bristol in the rain. It just seemed to go on for ever. And the wipers were just there to smear the rain.

Huh? There was steel in there?
I think a slightly higher steel content than the Alfa Seltzer :D

OK I'll try to set up a new challenge today.

Just noticed the price of fresh film e.g. Portra 400 35mm £19 o_O....if these price increases continue and don't reduce, this thread will be more popular than the thread "show us your film shots" for new shots. in colour :(

Back