New or Second Hand !!!

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

MPB have the Olympus 60mm Macro that I want for £260 with 6 months warranty. Apparently it has light dust inside the lens.

My question is thus ,would you opt for this deal or buy new for £365 with a full years warranty?

Cheers

Andy

You could buy a new one and have dust in it in a matter of weeks, if this is the only problem I would say take a 6-month warranty and save the money :)

Be careful of MPB's light dust, I bought a EXC++ Canon 17-55 2.8 and it was full of dust!

They were very good at taking it back and giving me a full refund, so if I were you I'd buy it with a view of returning if not up to standard.

Agreed with above, you also find generic descriptions being used for second hand lists in terms of condition. May not be that bad.

In my experience MPB are very decent people to deal with. I would have no reservations getting this lens if you fancy it ?

I've taken the plunge and ordered the lens from MPB, I also ordered a new 45mm from Wex. Both should be here by Saturday.

I've used MPB and found them very good. I part ex'd some equipment and bought a second hand lens which was almost in mint condition. I was a bit apprehensive at first but glad I took the plunge.

The lens arrived today, it has one largish piece of dust. How much would it cost to have it cleaned?

The lens arrived today, it has one largish piece of dust. How much would it cost to have it cleaned?

My advice is that you should take a smallest aperture shot of a white door and make sure that the dust doesn't show (and assuming your sensor is clean.) It almost certainly wont show and once you've done this one test (and assuming it doesn't show...) you can forget it and enjoy the lens.

I'd be extremely surprised if the dust shows. I read an article recently showing different stages of someone smudging, scratching and even breaking the front element (was a very old cheap lens) and I was amazed how little things show if at all.

As long as you've check it in person, I would always buy 2nd hand. Then when you sell it, you loose very little money and are able to try other nice things! I always always keep boxes etc, as they are more valuable with all the bits.

As long as you've check it in person, I would always buy 2nd hand. Then when you sell it, you loose very little money and are able to try other nice things! I always always keep boxes etc, as they are more valuable with all the bits.
Agree with all of this. The only time I buy new is if there's little difference in the price between new and 2nd hand due to cash back offers or something. I also have a loft full of 'empty' boxes, drives my wife mad :LOL:

Agree with all of this. The only time I buy new is if there's little difference in the price between new and 2nd hand due to cash back offers or something. I also have a loft full of 'empty' boxes, drives my wife mad :LOL:

Ha Ha, I have boxes full of empty boxes, drives my wife insane! Still, nothing like a nice lens in a nice box :)

Back