New PC questions

Thanks. Any reason why I should avoid Dell? My experience has been good.

Maybe they've changed but I'm sure they use a lot of proprietary parts which can make upgrading difficult. Certainly the Dells I've previously had were like that with strange sized motherboards, psu, cpu coolers were strange etc. I just prefer to choose my own parts, although I build as well.

But as said they may have changed. Can't fault their laptops though, I had one of their business grade ones a long time ago and it still runs prefect, although too weak now for any real use. But still, not bad for its age.

Maybe they've changed but I'm sure they use a lot of proprietary parts which can make upgrading difficult. Certainly the Dells I've previously had were like that with strange sized motherboards, psu, cpu coolers were strange etc. I just prefer to choose my own parts, although I build as well.

But as said they may have changed. Can't fault their laptops though, I had one of their business grade ones a long time ago and it still runs prefect, although too weak now for any real use. But still, not bad for its age.

When I use to repair computers Dell desktops were a reail pain, a replacement power supply would be stupid money and with evey single one I had to rebuild them into a new case using a proper ATX psu.
I think they have improved as a Dell desktop I sourced for a friend some years ago looks at though the components may be standard but I've had no reason to poke my head inside.
I toally agree with regard to their laptops and their technical support seems quite good, I had a problem with the Dell OS recovery tool and they solved it very quickly.
I took out a 3 year onsite warranty with them earlier this year as the cost was well worth it.
I had had a question about upgrading to Win 10 Pro, I had a message back from them within a few minutes.
I also received an email and a phone call to confirm it had been ressolved.
There was a time I would have told people to steer clear of Dell but the seemed to have come a long way.

Well I kept my eye on the Dell outlet site. I was told that new kit is added at 3 pm and 8 pm. Most of the machines are low/mid range models so I when this came up I went for it -

512GB ssd
2 x 1TB hd
32Gb DDR4 memory
Intel core i7 10700 processor
AMD Radeon WX 3200 4GB card
W10 64 Pro

It may not be the most powerful PC on the planet but it'll be a damn site faster than what I have atm.

It was on sale at 775 + VAT but following a hiccup in the buying process they gave me 10% off.

I await howls of derision from the high-tech brigade! :LOL:

Well I kept my eye on the Dell outlet site. I was told that new kit is added at 3 pm and 8 pm. Most of the machines are low/mid range models so I when this came up I went for it -

512GB ssd
2 x 1TB hd
32Gb DDR4 memory
Intel core i7 10700 processor
AMD Radeon WX 3200 4GB card
W10 64 Pro

It may not be the most powerful PC on the planet but it'll be a damn site faster than what I have atm.

It was on sale at 775 + VAT but following a hiccup in the buying process they gave me 10% off.

I await howls of derision from the high-tech brigade! :LOL:

That's not a bad spec for the price.
Windows 10 will love you long time with 32GB Ram :)

Last edited:
32 RAM is much more like it over 16gb. You can upgrade it later on to 64gb if you find RAM becomes an issue. I think you'll find that fine and storage wise it's fine for sure. I7 is not terrible neither is SSD for boot up. Store your LR catalogue and OS on the SSD and your files on the HD's and should be ok

Back