New PC - Storage Setup

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I've just bought a new PC. Mainly lightroom and photoshop, but possibly some gaming.

Spec is:

i7 6700k
32gb DDR4
Nvidia 1080 8gb (overkill I know, but PC was a bargain from Dell Outlet).
1tb 7200 HDD
256gb M.2 SSD (Toshiba NVMe)
1tb SATA SSD (Crucial MX300 - added by me)
256gb SATA SSD (SK hynix SL308 - added by me)

I'm planning to set up the storage as follows:

Boot and Adobe CC: 256gb M.2 SSD (Toshiba NVMe)
Lightroom Catalogue: 1tb SATA SSD (Crucial MX300)
Scratch disk: 256gb SATA SSD (SK hynix SL308)
Other media/back up catalogue: 1tb 7200 HD

Does anyone think I should do something different with the storage? Or do you think it's missing anything? I'll probably upgrade to 64gb ram when money allows.

I do quite a few panoramas/stitching photos (30+ frames), so having a decent PC will be good.

Any comments appreciated.

Only thing that springs to mind is having an external storage as well. That way should you wish to show any picture, say at a friends house, you don't have to take the computer with you

Only thing that springs to mind is having an external storage as well. That way should you wish to show any picture, say at a friends house, you don't have to take the computer with you

Good shout. I have a Samsung portable SSD. Been using it to house my LR catalogue for use between old PC and Laptop for a while. Been a decent way to get around the catalogue restriction in LR.

Scratch disk: 256gb SATA SSD (SK hynix SL308) - you can safely forget that. with 32gb Photoshop isn't going to be doing much scratching and any it does do can safely use the Lightroom cat disk.
Cheers for the advice. I'm all for saving a few quid.

I'd read somewhere that ps/lightroom put history states into scratch regardless of RAM.

How much (if anything) do you reckon I should keep aside for scratch on the lr cat disk?

One thing that I would be thinking about at this stage is how to backup this system, on to spinning platters?

Yeah scrap the scratch disc. Not needed nowadays with faster systems.

Nice spec. I've got a 1080 so I insist you don't waste it;)

I have my os in the m.2 nvme drive.
LR cat on the 1tb ssd
I have put two 256 ssd's in raid 0 for a gaming drive.

One thing that I would be thinking about at this stage is how to backup this system, on to spinning platters?
I have a fair few external hdds, but can be a faff backing up manually, and remembering where different things are. Maybe NAS at some point.

Yeah scrap the scratch disc. Not needed nowadays with faster systems.

Nice spec. I've got a 1080 so I insist you don't waste it;)

I have my os in the m.2 nvme drive.
LR cat on the 1tb ssd
I have put two 256 ssd's in raid 0 for a gaming drive.
OK. Seems like a consensus on the scratch disk. I'll use it for something else or send it back (not used it yet).

I used to game a fair bit, but haven't for some time. Going to try Fallout 4. Not a huge fan of shooters but 1 and 2 were brilliant games, so still enjoy the series. Any recommendations on a game to test the card?

OK. Seems like a consensus on the scratch disk. I'll use it for something else or send it back (not used it yet).

I used to game a fair bit, but haven't for some time. Going to try Fallout 4. Not a huge fan of shooters but 1 and 2 were brilliant games, so still enjoy the series. Any recommendations on a game to test the card?

It's an odd card tbh. There isn't a game that it won't completely max out at 1440p >60fps but it falls short of 4K. Oddly I prefer my 1060 card as its great for its intended purpose at 1080p!

It's an odd card tbh. There isn't a game that it won't completely max out at 1440p >60fps but it falls short of 4K. Oddly I prefer my 1060 card as its great for its intended purpose at 1080p!
Fair enough. I'm sure it'll be alright for the extremely limited gaming I'll do!

Back