New PC Time

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
I am currently running XP & have been since just after the kids were born I think........

It's ok for net browsing. It's ok for media playing. It's okish for CS2. It's reasonable for LR3 [until exporting, then I have to export & go have a shower/tea/etc] BUT in no way can you do more than one thing at a time so time to upgrade.

I have Novatech near to me so was going to use them to build me a new tower.

I'm guessing a budget of up to £700. Obviously the cheaper the better, but I fully understand it may be more sensible to go slightly over budget to get better components as a PC isn't something that's upgraded often.

I'm not really into PC's so was wondering if I could have something to go off with recommendations for what processor, RAM, graphics card etc etc

I shoot a 5D2/450D for referance to image file sizes. I have 2 external drives for images & 2 80Gb internals for music etc

Thanks

Current i5, 8 or 16G RAM, SSD boot disk (get one big enough you can store your scratch files on). Any graphics card will do (even on-chip Intel will be OK). Should be fine with £700

Have you got to buy a new monitor?

How about going for a Mac mini, I have one, changed from a PC and love it. Not that difficult to get used to. And so quiet, none of them noisy fans blowing masses of dust into the air :D

I've been happy with my novatech purchase. No bloatware and choice of windows 7 or 8.

Specs are constantly changing but I've yet to fill my 128 GB SSD with a fair bit of software

Is your budget including a new screen? For lots of photo work a better screen may be more important than outright speed

Hope this helps

David
http://vintageman.zenfolio.com

Thanks All :)

I havent got a top quality, expensive screen but it seems fine & is calibrated etc so I was just concentrating on the PC tower for the moment.

Yes a nice widescreen would be nice though :)

Just had a tattoo done from the same funds which was cheaper than I thought so I could have another £200 to the budget now...

I'm in the same boat as Lee, about to get a new desktop. I see that most recommendations are for an i5. Apart from price just how different would an i7 be for performance?

Apart from price just how different would an i7 be for performance?
Almost negligible in real world performance (and I speak as someone who has both). The i7 gives an extra 10% or so performance boost on H.264 video encoding and some highly intensive image filtering operations, but that's about it. If you think of them as "the same performance" on a clock by clock basis, then you will see performance scale with clock speeds (i7s tend to have a slightly higher clock speed) so a 2GHz quad core i5 (which you can't get by the way) will be half the speed of a 4GHz i7 (which you also can't get but hopefully you see what I am saying...)

Yup... Will do you fine. You may find you want to swap the 2x4G sticks of memory for 2x8G sticks to give you 16G at some point, but that is a nice machine.

BTW: as you have waited so long, you might want to wait a few days. Intel are releasing a new CPU core next week. Things may get a little cheaper in a week or so...

BTW: as you have waited so long, you might want to wait a few days. Intel are releasing a new CPU core next week. Things may get a little cheaper in a week or so...

That's exactly what I'm waiting for now......

I've heard the GPU of the new chips are meant to be good so I'll either get a "haswell" chip and do without an additional graphics card or see if the current i5s drop in price.

I've heard the GPU of the new chips are meant to be good
Yes, you should be fine as long as you don't intend on overclocking (onboard GPU = more power to dump off the chip).

In fact, if I didn't overclock (I'm currently at 4.7GHz with my i7-2600K) I'd probably have jumped to Haswell with integrated graphics. It's probably a very smart choice for 95% of people...

Thanks for that Snippet Andy. I've been thinking about a new PC for a while now and Was going to spend some time this weekend investigating upcoming developments. Now I know to leave it a month or so.

So, bumping an old thread because I've been so busy lately I've still not sorted anything PC wise :) lol

What do people think of this please - http://www.novatech.co.uk/pc/range/novatechlifenti30.html

Intel Core 3rd Gen i5 Processor
8GB Memory
1TB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GT 620 1GB Graphics

£560 with Windows 7 Home.

I have one! Very nice pc although mine is more for internet music and football manager. Very quick! From off to loaded FM13 takes 1 min 40 seconds!

Thanks for the input All :) I have a bit on the next few weekends so going to be a fortnight before I can actually go down to the place anyways unless I just order online.

:)

Check out building one on Scan.co.uk
http://3xs.scan.co.uk

I'm thinking of getting a desktop (Though gotta sell my ps3 first to justify it) and Scan seem to have some good prices on their custom builds

Current i5, 8 or 16G RAM, SSD boot disk (get one big enough you can store your scratch files on). Any graphics card will do (even on-chip Intel will be OK). Should be fine with £700

To access more than about 3.6Gb RAM you will need a 64 bit OS.

To access more than about 3.6Gb RAM you will need a 64 bit OS.

This is correct. But try buying a PC from one of the retailers these days with a 32 bit OS ;)

Back