(New Pics) Urban Birds - Wren and Nuthatch

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
I know that anything man made is not the acceptable thing as not natural environment but in this case the Nuthatch family has chosen my bird box as a safe place to bring up young.

Unfortunately light was a bit rubbish on Mum shot at ISO 800 + 1/250s + f6.3

1. Mum's Collection - Shake a tail feather

IMG_9352
by bthomas124, on Flickr

2. Cranefly, Hoverfly for Dinner

IMG_9348
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_9346
by bthomas124, on Flickr

4. Dad feeding the kids

IMG_9323
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_9322
by bthomas124, on Flickr

6. FEED ME

IMG_9321
by bthomas124, on Flickr

7. You in there

IMG_9324
by bthomas124, on Flickr

All comments welcome and appreciated

:ty:

Indeed a nuthatch on the nesting box, but Im guessing the others are a wren. I may well be wrong and be corrected.:banghead: Anyway, 1-3 are nice shots and you are indeed lucky to have such a variety of birds in you're garden

indeed, 1-3 wren, rest nuthatch.
I must admit, I didn't realise nuthatches nested in regular 'domestic' nest boxes! I guess there is no reason why not!

Great stuff (y)

Lovely captures of the Wren and behaviour of the Nuthatch which I always thought nesting wise was a woodland bird.

Indeed a nuthatch on the nesting box, but Im guessing the others are a wren. I may well be wrong and be corrected.:banghead: Anyway, 1-3 are nice shots and you are indeed lucky to have such a variety of birds in you're garden

You are correct it's a Wren was mistaken by the eye stripe and it was heading towards bird box so I have no idea where the wren is nesting.

indeed, 1-3 wren, rest nuthatch.
I must admit, I didn't realise nuthatches nested in regular 'domestic' nest boxes! I guess there is no reason why not!

Great stuff (y)

Lovely captures of the Wren and behaviour of the Nuthatch which I always thought nesting wise was a woodland bird.

Thanks both ... yeah I was surprised too as last year it was taken by some great tits so expected same this year. :D

Nice captures Bryn, you'll soon be up to my standard :p:p:p:p

No2 is the better image- shame she has a red thing going through her head though

Les

Quick 20 sec edit

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice captures Bryn, you'll soon be up to my standard :p:p:p:p

No2 is the better image- shame she has a red thing going through her head though

Les

Quick 20 sec edit

Thanks for the edit... #3 was shot through my back door double glazing ... but as Wren stayed i managed to get patio door open and poke camera through :D

Looking at the EXIF Bryn, (Wren images)....... 1/250th sec with that Tamron zoom is too slow especially if hand held ........... the images are soft .....

Looking at the EXIF Bryn, (Wren images)....... 1/250th sec with that Tamron zoom is too slow especially if hand held ........... the images are soft .....

I agree it was too slow but ISO anymore than 800 would be rubbish amount of noise. However I dont agree they are all soft #1/2 look fine zoomed in on Flickr (to me anyhow) maybe a little softer on here.

#3 was shot through a double glazed window just to ensure I got a shot before opening the door. :D

I like this set - good captures.

I think any softness is due to using the lens with f6.3 at 600mm. My experience is you need to get to f8 if using it at full zoom. The VC control is quite good on that lens, I've certainly managed 1/80s handheld with about a 50% success rate.

However I dont agree they are all soft #1/2 look fine zoomed in on Flickr (to me anyhow) maybe a little softer on here.

:D

fair enough ..... as I said my comments related to the Wren images - I did not look at the others

fair enough ..... as I said my comments related to the Wren images - I did not look at the others

I was referring to the first 2 wren shots maybe your referencing the shallow dof as shot at f6.3? But eyes are sharp in both.

Hi Tinin124

Not keen on the sloping fences on the wren shots, I think I would make these horizontal in the images. Otherwise very nice.

The nuthatch shots immediately above are just exquisite. One of my favourite birds captured superbly.

Hi Tinin124

Not keen on the sloping fences on the wren shots, I think I would make these horizontal in the images. Otherwise very nice.

The nuthatch shots immediately above are just exquisite. One of my favourite birds captured superbly.

Hi Gary, won't rotating put the wren off kilt so to speak will try it but they do look natural to me.

Thanks for the comment about the Nuthatch definitely best bird shots I have taken.

Nice bird shots, not the most easiest thing to photograph (I've tried and they come out craap) - its good seeing you take photos that aren't macro - being out of that safe zone is what makes photography a fun and varied thing to pursue, Im sure with more practice you'll be getting some fab shots - though I think it might be time for you to go full frame, with the cleaner upper bound ISO functionality - you'll be shooting at 3200 and thinking why you didnt upgrade sooner :) 6d is a good choice :)

I agree the first lot are all pretty soft, the first Wren shot being the pick of the bunch. The detail is a much, much better in the second lot of Nutties but the jaunty angles and composition needs sorting a bit as I don't feel it adds anything to the overall impact of the images. The good thing is you'll have plenty opportunity to take more shots at a more complimentary angles with better composition.

Although the birds have decided to use the nest box in it's location, I personally don't think the settings of wood and red brick suits these little beauties.

Found the Wren nest hopefully I haven't scared them away but it is somewhere i walk regularly.

Not got any better shots though light was better.

However the nuthatch managed to shoot from below and due to lighting settings were better.

IMG_9373 by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_9374 by bthomas124, on Flickr

[/url

]IMG_9375 by bthomas124, on Flickr

Hi Bryn,

further to your comment on a recent thread, I obviously need to sort my screen out if you feel that my images are under exposed

If I look at your image above, the third in your "nuthatch on a birdbox series" which presumably you have correctly exposed .......... I see this as over-exposed generally and particularly the wooden box and back of the bird - I do not really see much colour or detail in the bird as the over exposure, that I see on my screen, has washed them out .................... I only see the birds eye and a small area around it as being in focus .......... what do you see?
I note your view, as you pointed out to me, that in your opinion the histogram is only a guide so I can rely on that to help consider your image.

The composition(s) IMHO do not flatter the bird(s) in any way ......... in fact I cannot figure them out at all ....... with the "in your face" OOF plywood side of a box being as (more) prominent as the bird ..... maybe as you pointed out to me we should not stick to any rules of composition even as a guide.

Last edited:
I agree the first lot are all pretty soft, the first Wren shot being the pick of the bunch. The detail is a much, much better in the second lot of Nutties but the jaunty angles and composition needs sorting a bit as I don't feel it adds anything to the overall impact of the images. The good thing is you'll have plenty opportunity to take more shots at a more complimentary angles with better composition.

Although the birds have decided to use the nest box in it's location, I personally don't think the settings of wood and red brick suits these little beauties.

Thank you for the constructive critique, agree the birdbox and house brick doesn't suit the Nuthatch but they have decided they are comfortable there so I will shoot them there... but will also try and setup a mid way landing point between house and woodland to hopefully get more pleasing to the eye shots.

Hi Bryn,

further to your comment on a recent thread, I obviously need to sort my screen out if you feel that my images are under exposed

If I look at your image above, the third in your "nuthatch on a birdbox series" which presumably you have correctly exposed .......... I see this as over-exposed generally and particularly the wooden box and back of the bird - I do not really see much colour or detail in the bird as the over exposure, that I see on my screen, has washed them out .................... I only see the birds eye and a small area around it as being in focus .......... what do you see?
I note your view, as you pointed out to me, that in your opinion the histogram is only a guide so I can rely on that to help consider your image.

The composition(s) IMHO do not flatter the bird(s) in any way ......... in fact I cannot figure them out at all ....... with the "in your face" OOF plywood side of a box being as (more) prominent as the bird ..... maybe as you pointed out to me we should not stick to any rules of composition even as a guide.

#3 of Nuthatch birdbox is over exposed yes, but not blown I have had to do this because my PP skills aren't quite up to scratch so all global changes rather than localised.

I see the head to the start of wing being in focus and maybe some detail lost on top of the head but again this is PP skill not shot fault think the detail is there it just needs to be bought out with more careful PP. Colour looks fine maybe a little colder... but nearly as seen

As for the composition I get what you and Brash are seeing but I like it, shows how dynamic the bird is also a different than the normal for angle I was directly below box because this family has started to except that I potter around the garden and are becoming less bothered by me, not sure about the Wren though think they may have given up nest which is a shame or maybe the young have fled the nest ????

Thanks Bryn for your reply - one of the good things about this forum is to be able openly to discuss images and exchange views - we may not agree - I started taking bird images about 18 months ago - they were terrible until I joined this forum just over a year ago, (at the time I started taking images of birds with interest) - in the last year I have learned so much and I attribute much of my improvement to this forum and the critique and advice given to me which has allowed me to review my images and identify faults and ways to improve.

I have always been interested in birds and nature ........ but was happy to look at them thru my bins .......... fantastic photography equipment has transformed my interest and hobby ........ and it can get addictive

We should encourage critique and also fair criticism - we should not shy away from it, and we should use any fair criticism as a basis for improvements ....... there are lots of people in this section who care about the images that they take and this should be encouraged

just my views

Last edited:
Thanks Bryn for your reply - one of the good things about this forum is to be able openly to discuss images and exchange views - we may not agree - I started taking bird images about 18 months ago - they were terrible until I joined this forum just over a year ago, (at the time I started taking images of birds with interest) - in the last year I have learned so much and I attribute much of my improvement to this forum and the critique and advice given to me which has allowed me to review my images and identify faults and ways to improve.

I have always been interested in birds and nature ........ but was happy to look at them thru my bins .......... fantastic photography equipment has transformed my interest and hobby ........ and it can get addictive

We should encourage critique and also fair criticism - we should not shy away from it, and we should use any fair criticism as a basis for improvements ....... there are lots of people in this section who care about the images that they take and this should be encouraged

just my views

Well hopefully you are seeing an improvement over the first bird pictures I took about 2 months or so ago, as you know I'm more into Macro but do like to take on other parts of photography now and then and if you watched my progress in Macro (18mths ago by chance) then think you will know that I always take criticism with good faith and try and improve but by putting my own style and stamp on it.

If we all agreed it would be a rather drab place NO? Plus no progress would be made :D

Nice set Bryn, I think you have had a big improvement on the lens so far and I'm sure that progression will continue. The second set of Nut Hatch images look really sharp, looks to me like a big improvement with F8 and faster shutter speed.

Quality observation shots, the first three or on a different level. Great photography. Congratulations.

Nice set Bryn, I think you have had a big improvement on the lens so far and I'm sure that progression will continue. The second set of Nut Hatch images look really sharp, looks to me like a big improvement with F8 and faster shutter speed.

Thanks mate progression is always good. ;)

Quality observation shots, the first three or on a different level. Great photography. Congratulations.

Thank you Richard. :D

Richard, not wishing to be at all argumentative, but can you explain to me why you think that the images above are "Great photography"

Richard, not wishing to be at all argumentative, but can you explain to me why you think that the images above are "Great photography"

The Wren is the most darting of birds,even at the best of times,yet when it has nearly fledgling young that it is feeding even more so. The first three shots are of the bird with feed for it,s young and just landing to access the conditions before proceeding to its nest to feed,so the moment of opportunity is very small or should we say acute. This situation with the clarity of the first three shots together with the third shot,IE,the wonderful position of the bird,together with a great BOKEH of shots #1 and #3, in my opinion that results in Great photography.

Not wishing to be argumentative,but,if you disagree,perhaps you could explain why to me and the rest of us.

PS, please quote me correctly should you wish a detailed explanation,I stated the first three shot were Great.Do not make up quotes to suit you question. Thank you. " the first three or on a different level"

Taken with Venus 60mm .... I shot the nest not expecting any birds in there.... well look at image whilst chimping.

IMG_9549
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Now I hoped I hadn't stopped Mum coming back so went and hid and surely enough 10 mins later mum arrived. :D

Back