New purchase experimentation

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
Just bought a speed light from the classifieds and added a softbox and some of the strobist gels to the collection. Having fashioned gel holders from an old acetate divider, I had a play! although took me a second to realise that my daughter had swapped some of the gels around on the speed lights!! No idea how best to use the gels but half the fun is in experimenting and learning!

1)

DSC_0029-3 by Sir SR, on Flickr

2)

DSC_0016-3 by Sir SR, on Flickr

3)

DSC_0030-3 by Sir SR, on Flickr

As ever all comments/crit/thoughts are welcomed and encouraged! Looking to improve as ever!

Ta

Shaheed

Last edited:
Cracking set!

good stuff! wish my son was as obliging...won't pose for me for toffee!!!

#3 is my pick of the bunch, seems like the practising is paying off :) ...a small reflector on the opposite side would help lift those shadows a little, but good set none-the-less.

What a great set. You're daughter is going to love these when she grows up.

Number 3 is superb!! Inspired me to do some more research into these lighting techniques, I own a Sony FVL flash, not sure if that's considered a speedlight?

Looks like the experimenting is working for you.Like them all but love the last one the most...good stuff.(y)

What a great set. You're daughter is going to love these when she grows up.

She quite likes using my camera herself so she enjoys having her pic taken - she says the D90 will be hers one day!!

Cracking set!

Thanks for looking, very kind.

good stuff! wish my son was as obliging...won't pose for me for toffee!!!

#3 is my pick of the bunch, seems like the practising is paying off :) ...a small reflector on the opposite side would help lift those shadows a little, but good set none-the-less.

Thank you. I think you're right about the reflector - I actually used one to lift the shadows under the hat but couldn't place the other one correctly due to lack of space/hands!!

Number 3 is superb!! Inspired me to do some more research into these lighting techniques, I own a Sony FVL flash, not sure if that's considered a speedlight?

Thank you - I'm not sure i know the difference between a flash/strobe/speedlight either!

Looks like the experimenting is working for you.Like them all but love the last one the most...good stuff.(y)

Cheers! The last one is my favourite and am going to force myself to actually print one of these photos!

These are great and what and how lucky are you to have such an awesome model :clap:

Cheers - she enjoys it thankfully

I like the distorted look in number 3. It makes it feel very playful!

All good images.

Have you tried fudge instead? :)

Thank you - the fudge thing really made me laugh! I think i shot around 20mm for this one as I was fairly close (on the D90)!

Shaheed you've done well sir.

Much appreciated!
These are fab! And what a gorgeous model you have there :)

Cheers! Thankfully she takes more after her Mum!!

Thank you all - really appreciate all the comments!

Shaheed

Sir SR said:
Just bought a speed light from the classifieds and added a softbox and some of the strobist gels to the collection. Having fashioned gel holders from an old acetate divider, I had a play! although took me a second to realise that my daughter had swapped some of the gels around on the speed lights!! No idea how best to use the gels but half the fun is in experimenting and learning!

1)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63852338@N07/8027508401/
DSC_0029-3 by Sir SR, on Flickr

2)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63852338@N07/8027509826/
DSC_0016-3 by Sir SR, on Flickr

3)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63852338@N07/8027513192/
DSC_0030-3 by Sir SR, on Flickr

As ever all comments/crit/thoughts are welcomed and encouraged! Looking to improve as ever!

Ta

Shaheed

Just in case people are interested I thought I'd describe the set up.

Pop up black background, 2 nissin di6122 II's fired at black background, behind subject. Camera left nissin with blue gel, camera right with red gel. Power varied with each of the three shots.

Key from sb900 through soft box camera right with silver reflector to lift shadows under hat rim!

Nikon d90 with tamron 17-50, lights triggered by cls (pop up flash with ir plate)

Thanks for all the kind comments

S

edit:

lighting-diagram-1349090064 by Sir SR, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice set Shaheed - no 3 my fav too - looks like she's having fun!

Thanks for sharing the set up too. :)

Great shots love them, my girls are in their 20s now so don't enjoy the posing like they use to lol. The hand in shot 2 just draws my attention otherwise like everyone else says cracking shots lovely lighting

bespoke images said:
Like the set - was the flash off camera and multiple flashes being used?

Thank you!

A couple of posts up I mentioned the set up.

I used the pop up on the d90 to control three other off camera flashes.

Two at the background (with colour gels) and one as the main (key) in a softbox!

Hope that helps. Must learn how to get the diagrams done!

S

Paul. said:
i love these shots, and they all have even more potential to be processed further, i am thinking along the lines of Jill Greenberg

Thank you. I'll have to google her! Ive got the edit box ticked so if you have the inclination please feel free!!

Right, google here I come!

Ta

S

i love these shots, and they all have even more potential to be processed further, i am thinking along the lines of Jill Greenberg

As a side note, are you the pmalsop of DNUK. I remember your photos being pretty inspirational when I was new to photography 2 years ago!!

A stunning set of images and really useful diagram. Thanks very much for posting.

My fav's are 1 and 3 - expression and lighting are really effective and refreshingly different.

Spooks

Spooky said:
A stunning set of images and really useful diagram. Thanks very much for posting.

My fav's are 1 and 3 - expression and lighting are really effective and refreshingly different.

Spooks

Thanks spooks! I've put up diagrams for the others now. I'm lucky to have an engaging daughter! Thanks for looking and your kind comments.

Paul. said:

Had a look on google - I see what you mean. I'll try at some point to do that! Thanks again.

S

Thank you. I'll have to google her! Ive got the edit box ticked so if you have the inclination please feel free!!

Right, google here I come!

Ta

S

Not exactly J.Greenberg, but a bit more heavy on the P&P to bring out more of the fun!

8049174801_c1ffeee16a_b.jpg

Paul. said:
Not exactly J.Greenberg, but a bit more heavy on the P&P to bring out more of the fun!

Thank you so much for taking the time to do that. Could I achieve this in LR4 only as I don't use photoshop?

I think this has definitely enhanced the fun-ness (I don't think that is a real word!) of this photo.

Ta

Shaheed

hmm, i used alot of masking, dodging and burning so you would need PS i reckon. LR4 was used to pump the saturation, reduce the vibrancy and increase the clarity

Thank you so much for taking the time to do that. Could I achieve this in LR4 only as I don't use photoshop?

I think this has definitely enhanced the fun-ness (I don't think that is a real word!) of this photo.

Ta

Shaheed

If you use the adjustment brush you will be able to mess a lot with the shot and achieve something close.

Love these mate and thanks for sharing your setup. Good stuff!

Back