New Red Snapper or Used Manfrotto

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I want to get a tripod to team up with my newly acquired D7000. Budget is not great so looking for something around the sub £150 mark and it's main use will be landscape \ seascape etc

Seen the Red Snapper RSF-284M \ RSH-12 combo is often suggested but for the same sort of money I could get a used Manfrotto 055XPRO and ball head, is there much to choose between the two or is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks

I'm a firm manfrotto user! But it's horses for courses really! I've got 055 legs and 410 geared head and a 800mm manfrotto bag and it goes uphill and Down dale on my shoulder! It's been in the sea and stuck in mud and been used as a walking stick! It's still works great! It gets bathed and sprayed with oil monthly and it's fine

I have the 055XPRO, great bit of kit. I was only going to buy a tripod once and I'm glad I went for the Manfrotto

I've got redsnapper great bit of kit ,nice & light

I've had a redsnapper almost 3 years, and it's been great. The pan/tilt head was cheap & not especially good, but replacing with a ball head has fixed that.

My last red snapper broke after not a lot of use so I bought a new Manfrotto from wex - tripod and head was around £130 so should be within budget for you.

My Manfrotto 055 fell apart in the field after only a few months of light use. Also Manfrottos commit you to manfrotto QR plates which do have disadvantages over Arca plates

Last edited:
I own a manfrotto 290 series after changing the ball head, it has been used in the sea, rivers, caves and is still going strong. Cant say much about red snapper though

I've had a redsnapper almost 3 years, and it's been great. The pan/tilt head was cheap & not especially good, but replacing with a ball head has fixed that.

Think Ive had my snapper longer than that with no issues,decent set of kegs for the money.

Thanks all, looks like there's nothing between them so will try to get to have a play with both to see if one appeals more than the other

It is the head and even more so, the plate that matters. I have 055 legs from many moons ago, but the RC141 ???head (RC2 plate) was not happy with a front heavy camera (D7200). I am personally not convinced by the arca plates (so what if there are many of them and some made in China). Just a half-penny of thought.

Thanks all, looks like there's nothing between them so will try to get to have a play with both to see if one appeals more than the other

I believ the main difference is Manfrotto have snap locks and Snapper use twist locks....

Back