New script writer thread

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Introduction

Welcome to the new thread for Script Writer including Exif Border script (EBS).

Script Writer is a collection of Photoshop/Elements scripts (or programs) specifically aimed at Photographers. They are written in JAVASCRIPT which makes them platform independent working on both MACS and WINDOWS.

Tested on: CS2-5 and Elements 6-8 (almost all features are available in Elements)

With operating systems: MacOS Tiger onwards & Windows 5-7 (XP,Vista,7) in both 32 and 64 bit

The main features are:

• add a wide variety of different borders with or without text including EXIF data, copyright information, date & time plus filename.
  • resize images
  • change the colour profile
  • convert to black & white
  • adds incidental text
  • graphical logos
  • and more.....

The collection further adds a batch processor which will run through a directory tree of pictures and apply ANY script to these pictures plus a contact sheet generator, a panel generator and a web gallery generator.

A number of examples can be seen here although there will be lots of examples with the variables to produce them in the thread as time progresses.

Prior to version 2 all the information was on the web site and spread across the forum. With effect from this version I have decided to include a manual so that people have a point of reference for all of the information that is necessary to get the most from the script.

I first came across a border script whilst using Talk Photography and at that time the script basically just resized your current picture, added a border and added some EXIF data. I virtually re-wrote the script splitting it up into a library and separate “EBS Script Files” which contained variables to control the relevant events which took place later. This made it far simpler for users to edit the scripts for their use and you no longer needed to be a programmer to get the most from them. During this time I also added numerous extra features .

I then added numerous extra features with further re-writing. Users have requested lots of extra features and now even with the variable setup it was getting too complicated and so I decided to completely change the direction of the script and create this new version which is a virtual re-write again.

The new version differs from the original in many respects but the most obvious one is that the setup of the scripts is now using a full graphical user interface. This allows users with absolutely no programming experience to change the scripts to do whatever they want them to do whilst avoiding ‘breaking’ the script by typing details that are outside of acceptable.

Also I have added a separate program which allows the user to edit their “USER DATA” file in a similar manner plus a number of extra features which have been requested. The main additions to version 2 are the addition of the following programs:

Graphical EBS script editor.
Graphical USER DATA editor.
BATCH processor.
PANEL program.
WEB GALLERY generator. [currently CS only]
CONTACT SHEET generator. [currently CS only] - Elements users can use the Panel program though.

Plus the addition of the following major features:

Graphical borders.
Drop Shadows.
User input for the text around the borders.
Multiple user accounts

There are a number of minor features that have also been added.

RELEASE DATE 21st January 2009.......

See Links for manual :)

Script Writer - The costs !

People have said numerous times that there should be a charge and with effect from this version the scripts are now shareware.

I have spent around 500 hours creating version 2.00 (and now another 150+ hours EACH to get to version 2.1 and 2.11) and although I am not looking for any profit whatsoever I don’t think it should cost me money either. I have therefore asked that those people that find Script Writer useful and use it regularly should donate £10 towards the funds by paypal and those using it commercially should donate £20 (This is for a life-time registration). I have spoken to Marcel and the TP fund is quite healthy but I will donate 20% of the amount after Paypal fees (see below) to Talk Photography and the rest of the money will be saved towards my hosting fees for (www.cowasaki.co.uk - which is currently sat on my other web site but which is to get its own site shortly), books and buying new versions of relevant software.

People are allowed to try the software out first and to make sure that they actually want to use it. One registration fee covers a family, multiple operating systems and version upgrades.

All those registering will be listed together with a link to their web site if they have one (so nearly free advertising), they will all be added to a mailing list and be sent all updates, bug fixes etc automatically and I will give them priority for new features but once again there will be no obligation to register or pay.

- I will also be happy to accept relevant books, software etc as full payment for registration.
- As people have asked the email address for registration and paypal is - "ebay@cowasaki.co.uk" Thanks, and if you select payment as gift they do not charge me 54p

Added 13/1/13.....

Link to manual : <CLICK HERE>

Last edited:
A number of examples can be seen here although there will be lots of examples with the variables to produce them in the thread as time progresses.

Logo added (copyright icon/trademark)

scripts_copyrighticon.jpg

Copyright text added (default)

scripts_defaultborder.jpg

All EXIF information

scripts_allexif.jpg

Drop Shadow

scripts_dropshadow.jpg

Last edited:
Also additional packages include:

Batch Processor

Batch.png

Panel generator (1)

scripts_Panel1.jpg

Panel generator (2)

scripts_Panel2.jpg

Split

scripts_split.jpg

Last edited:
Borders for you to try

These files are for version 2.10 onwards

"Border inside picture with EXIF data"

Border - Inside Border.jpg

To create this border make the following changes to the default border:

Code:
Inner Stroke Size = 0
Outer Stroke Size = 0
Main Border Colour = None

DOWNLOAD SCRIPT

==========

"All EXIF data"

Border - All Exif.jpg

To create this border make the following changes to the default border:

Code:
CLICK TICK NEXT TO ALL EXIF ENTRIES
Border Width Top = 25
Border Width Bottom = 80
Show Extension = true
Text Before = Filename = '
Text After = '  (EXIF data test)
Display Right = false;

DOWNLOAD SCRIPT

==========

Last edited:
Version Information

With anything this complicated there will always be quite a number of modifications, bug fixes, feature requests etc in the beginning. I will continue to modify the scripts on a virtually daily basis for the first few weeks until it is working across the board. Once we get to the point where it does just work for everyone straight away I will make this version 2.1.0 from this point onwards the installer will always provide an UPGRADE option as well as an install option. Until then each upgrade may add/remove features and data files may be incompatible!

From feedback it does appear that the script pretty much works on most computers. So far, of the two that have caused problems, one has been a driver issue and the other has not been worked out. If you get it working or not it is handy for me to know your setup!

New for version 2.00

INSTALLER !!
Multi user now implemented
EDITOR - EBS Script
EDITOR - USER DATA
Panel generator
Web Gallery generator
Contact Sheet generator
Batch processor
Drop shadow border
Graphical border
Ability to override text to any of the borders
Ability to require user input to edit/replace text to any border
Date border now with "Today" option
You can now have text borders just inside of the picture.
You can now revert the picture view to 100% following script processing.
You can now change to full screen mode etc at the end
Copyright message can now be inc person or company
Addition of several extra named colours
New colour "NONE" for main border which treats the border as existing for text sizing, drop shadows, graphical borders etc but doesn't add it!
Option to save complete EXIF data of last picture to disc as a text file

New for version 2.01 02:00 23rd January 2009

All file references are now absolute which should reduce install and use problems.
Added X offset for EXIF data to go with Y offset which was already there.
Added option to move buttons to top of screen in EDITOR
Install now completely stand alone and it creates installation.txt file

New for version 2.10 31st January 2009

In "Batch processor"
>now outputs JPG,TIFF,GIF,BMP,PNG file types
>Correction where file selection does not start in correct folder eg Pictures folder for pictures etc [thanks for pointing this out, Paul R]
>Correction of error reporting - now exits without second errors.
>Fixed display of filenames on options screen.

In "EBS scripts"
>TOTAL rewrite of entire picture resizing and border drawing routines
>TOTAL rewrite of text routines
>Addition of justification fields for all border text (left, right or center)
>Addition of extra EXIF options inc ABSOLUTE PICTURE COUNT, flash fired & white balance temperature (for auto).
>Addition of EXIF/XML data dump option
>Addition of complete install information dump.
>Run without image - asks for an image and processes that.
>New scripts "EBS - All EXIF", "EBS - White Lucida"
>Font bug fixed (with version c)

In "EDITOR - EBS data":
>Buttons moved to top of window for all
>Now you can click CANCEL when asked for filename and it brings up default info.
>Addition of 'Default data' button.
>Addition of edit boxs for size in pixels now have corresponding inches boxes which auto update in either direction ie INCHES<>PIXELS.
>Removal of X & Y offset variables as these are no longer required (even though Y offset only just added!)
>Correction of error reporting - now exits without second errors

In "EDITOR - USER DATA":
>Removed question re buttons at the top - this will now be normal
>Now copies default EBS script to user's directory

In "PHOTO GALLERY", "CONTACT SHEET", "PANEL"

In "Installer"
>Creates more detailed installation.txt file

New for version 2.11 23:40 8th February 2009

In "EDITOR - EBS data":
> Added Flip variable
> Added Black and White conversion process type
> SPLIT into THREE screens now to give space for B&W conversion and other new features
> Reduced height of windows by removing 2 frames from screen 1 and putting colour space and sharpening filter on same line.
> Added ability to automatically load and then upgrade ANY existing EBS file from version 2.10 onwards to current version.
> Fixed - Breaks the script if you include a quote in any text strings, you now can.

In "EBS scripts"
> A number of new real frames!
> Option to "Flip" graphical frames automatically for portrait / landscape pictures.
> New script "EBS - Graphical Border"
> Black and white conversion processes (grayscale, luminance,de-saturate,red channel,blue channel and green channel)

In "Batch processor"
> Added output to PSD file type
> Option screen for JPG,TIFF,GIF,BMP,PNG,PSD file types
> Recursive get files routine - now you can process all the folders inside a folder.

In "Installer/Updater"
> Inclusion of Update program
> Option to add extra files to EBS directory eg. Extra Borders etc
> "Script" folder in install directory now split into "Script" and "EBS_Scripts" so that you now have the option to install without overwriting existing scripts.

In "Panel"
> Fixed - Looks for USER DATA.lib in old location, cannot find it and assumes not running as part of app so variables are default.

In "Photo Gallery"
> Fixed - Looks for USER DATA.lib in old location, cannot find it and assumes not running as part of app so variables are default.

Version 2.12........ March 2009

Elements & some camera specific fixes.

For example RIGHT justify is now replaced by LEFT justify
CONTACT SHEET will no longer run etc...

Version 2.13........ Beta testers only

In "EDITOR - EBS data":
> Added "Swap Top/Bottom" variable
> Added "Swap Left/Right" variable

In "EBS scripts"
> Added feature from above to swap text sides

Version 2.14........ 20:00 17th June 2009 Current Version

The GPS & Split Version!

Added new script "SPLIT" which is similar to PANEL but works on one picture.
Added support for an external GPS device. You can include the specific GPS information as part of the GPS data at the bottom of the screen but you also get a new option on screen 1 of the EBS editor "Display GPS if active". This option, if ticked, replaces the normal time and date information with the time, date and location information from the GPS device along the left (or right if they are swapped) border.

In "EDITOR - EBS data":
> Added "Replace left with GPS" variable
> Added "GPS Location" variable
> Added "GPS Altitude" variable
> Added "GPS Date" variable
> Added "GPS Time" variable
> Added "EBS Version" variable

In "EBS scripts"
> Added features above
> New date formatting function (eg. 29th April 2009)

Note GPS information only tested so far with limited number of setups D200 with one GPS device.

Version 2.15........

Corrected bug for dates showing incorrectly and a few other minor bug fixes

Planned Additions.......

list of features planned(-) or done(>) plus bugs fixed(>)...

In "EBS scripts"
- Graphical plates for text for go in on frames
- Work around for RIGHT JUSTIFY in ELEMENTS
- Option to "Flip" copyright string text.

Last edited:
Free Users

Preacher { first person to bring original script to TP }
Talk Photography staff { Thank you }
Keltic Ice Man { Beta Tester }
cosmix3 { Beta Tester }
ScotlandTheScare { Beta Tester }
Paul R { javascript guru }
Haggis { donation of Elements 5 for PC / Elements 4 for Mac :)}
Just Dave

Registered Users

1 - IanH (standard)
2 - Euan (standard)
3 - GarynLea (standard)
4 - RedDeathDrinker (commercial)
5 - Dlh (standard)
6 - MMCP42 (commercial)
7 - Fordpop (standard)
8 - Snoop69 (standard)
9 - Goslayer (standard)
10 - Snoop69 (standard)
11 - Tigerfeet (standard)
12 - IanC_UK (commercial)
13 - TheNissanMan (standard)
14 - Nigpd (standard)
15 - Trev4 (standard)

Thank you all.

Known Issues

Using version 2.10

Camera shutter count may be wrong - not had enough RAW files sent to me yet to check with different cameras!

To do list

DVD cover generator
Complete EXIF Xmf viewer (everything that the camera tells you:))!
Implement work arounds for Elements re - RIGHT justify; 16bit image layers; Contact sheet (to use panel functionality)

Differences between Photoshop and Elements

Web gallery generator functionality not present in Elements
Contact sheet functionality not present in Elements
RIGHT justify not available in Elements
You cannot use layers with 16bit image files (i.e. 16bit tiffs or 16bit raw files) in Elements

Last edited:
Quick/Normal installation instructions

• If running Vista see post #10
  • Download ZIP file see post #5
  • Unzip ZIP file as a folder on your desktop
  • Run Photoshop
  • Go to scripts and browse
  • Navigate to the unzipped folder and find INSTALL.JS then run it.
  • Quit Photoshop
  • Re-start Photoshop
  • Go to scripts and run EBS - EDIT USER DATA which will create your user files.

Manual installation instructions

Use these if all else fails.

If installing on MULTIPLE versions of Photoshop then just follow the first block of manual instructions for EACH version of Photoshop.

• If running Vista see post #10
  • Download ZIP file see post #5
  • Unzip ZIP file as a folder on your desktop
  • Run Photoshop
  • Go to scripts and browse
  • Navigate to the unzipped folder and find INSTALL.JS then run it.
  • Quit Photoshop
  • Locate the scripts directory (location will vary depending on OS and version of Photoshop but should be inside the PRESETS directory which will be inside the Photoshop installation directory (in Applications/Program Files) now open this folder.
  • Locate the unzipped Script Writer installation directory in another Finder/Explorer window.
  • COPY all the files FROM both the SCRIPT folder and the EBS_Scripts folder inside the installation folder into the SCRIPT folder from Photoshop.
  • COPY the actual folder entitled Cowlib from the installation folder to the SCRIPT folder from Photoshop.
  • COPY the actual folder entitled EBS from the installation folder to the Cowlib folder from Photoshop.
  • Re-start Photoshop
  • Go to scripts and run EBS - EDIT USER DATA which will create your user files.

Right now it should all work but if it does not then.......

• IF you moved the files/folders in the previous steps rather than copying them re-unzip then installation folder!
  • Quit Photoshop
  • Locate your HOME directory (This is the directory that your documents folder is inside - MacOS, Vista, Windows 7, XP)
  • Copy the folder called EBS from the installation folder to your HOME folder.
  • Copy all the files who's names start "DEFAULT" from the folder Cowlib in the installation folder to the folder called EBS inside your HOME folder.
  • Rename the file "DEFAULT Signature.png" to "Signature.png"
  • Rename the file "DEFAULT User Data Override.png" to "User Data Override.png"
  • Rename the file "DEFAULT User Data.png" to "User Data.png"
  • Rename the file "DEFAULT Icon.png" to "Icon.png"
  • Create a folder called "AutoSave" inside the EBS folder.
  • Re-start Photoshop

Right now it should all work.

Last edited:
Vista specific instructions

Complete this to remove the folder security from your scripts folder before installing.

1. Goto drive C: and navigate to c:\program files (x86)\adobe\adobe photoshop CS3\presets
  2. Select the folder "Scripts" and right click it then select properties
  3. Select the tab "Security" and click [EDIT]
  4. Find "Users (????\Users)" in the top box and click on it
  5. Click on the box under "Allow" next to FULL CONTROL
  6. Click APPLY

VistaSec.png

This REMOVES file security from the script directory making it work just like it does on XP !

Last edited:
Menu based editing of Photoshop scripts

Script Writer allows you to edit the scripts using menus so you can create the look you want even if you know nothing and scripts or programming.

EBSedPage1.png

EBSedPage2.png

EBSedPage3.png

You can even edit your user information

USERed.png

Last edited:
Script "PANEL"

The script creates a panel of images from a group of images contained within a folder or input by the user. You can create the traditional triptych panel ie 3x1 or any other size that you want.

Panel.jpg

It is fully user editable using the following input panel.

Panel.png

Last edited:
Script "Contact Sheet Generator"

The script creates a contact sheet of images from a group of images contained within a folder.

Contact.jpg

Contact.png

Last edited:
Script "Web Gallery"

The script allows you to create a web gallery using a folder full of pictures.

Gallery.png

Last edited:
Script "BATCH"

The script allows you to run another script using a folder full of pictures. You could use it for example to apply a copyright notice or image to a whole days shooting or to change the file type or size of a folder full of images

Batch.png

Last edited:
Script "SPLIT"

The script splits up one picture into a group of images contained within a border.

split.jpg

Split.png

Last edited:
Well the new thread is now updated with the latest version of Script Writer. Just a few minor things to update above but basically I hope it is now easier to see what it can do.

Version 2.15 is now out with a number of minor bug fixes including the date problem from 2.14!

OK, perhaps I am being completely noobish and stupid here, but is this an app that allows non programmers to design & export scripts for photoshopor is it a plugun for photoshop?

Scripts and batch functions are all new to me in photoshop :)

Darren, thanks for this, I have have been having a little play with the script editor and changed all the boxes to suit my info. clicked save the script but it seems to have disappeared and when I try and run the script it just goes back to your version. My info is entered but the frames are not.

Tried doing a search for the script file I named it as but found nothing.

Am I being a donk?

Edit, have found my script, but I have to browse and load it, how do I put it 'in the menu'

Thanks in advance Darren.

Edit, have found my script, but I have to browse and load it, how do I put it 'in the menu'

Thanks in advance Darren.

You have to re-start Photoshop and it will appear. Photoshop only checks the scripts directory when it actually starts. :)

OK, perhaps I am being completely noobish and stupid here, but is this an app that allows non programmers to design & export scripts for photoshopor is it a plugun for photoshop?

Scripts and batch functions are all new to me in photoshop :)

I have written several scripts which you can see above. The menus allow you to edit these scripts to make them do different things. It is sort of like a plug in.

*Cough* Another registered user over here :wave:

Must look through the forums as the text on the side is much bigger than the test at the bottom and I can't see the text size in EBS data for it on the side...

*Cough* Another registered user over here :wave:

Must look through the forums as the text on the side is much bigger than the test at the bottom and I can't see the text size in EBS data for it on the side...

Added onto the list.

The text size variable covers all four sides but there is an override for the bottom so the bottom size smaller could be a different size.

Thanks for supporting Script Writer.

If anyone has suggestions or comments please let me know. There are lots of things that it can do that people are not doing yet, people seem to be scratching the surface.

Hi Darren
I am trying to install the script, have downloaded version 2.15 plus the manual. I havent paid for the program yet but want to try it to see if it helps me first.
Have followed the instructions to install and when I click on Scripts>browse> (select js files)>editor user data. I get the following error:
---------------------------
Error
Error 48: File or folder does not exist. Line: 1 -> //@include "/c/Program%20Files/Adobe/Adobe%20Photoshop%20CS4/Presets/Scripts/Cowlib/Cow_Library.lib";
OK
I have restarted CS4 which is being used in WIndows 7.
I have tried some of the scripts but get the same error.

Can you advise please
Thanks
Trev

Hi Darren
I am trying to install the script, have downloaded version 2.15 plus the manual. I havent paid for the program yet but want to try it to see if it helps me first.
Have followed the instructions to install and when I click on Scripts>browse> (select js files)>editor user data. I get the following error:
Error
Error 48: File or folder does not exist. Line: 1 -> //@include "/c/Program%20Files/Adobe/Adobe%20Photoshop%20CS4/Presets/Scripts/Cowlib/Cow_Library.lib";
OK
I have restarted CS4 which is being used in WIndows 7.
I have tried some of the scripts but get the same error.

Can you advise please
Thanks
Trev

Goto "program files" > "adobe" > "Adobe Photoshop CS4"

Look for the "Presets" folder then "Scripts"

Look in this folder, can you see a folder called "Cowlib" ?

If "Cowlib" exists is there a file inside called "Cow_Library.lib" ?

Goto "program files" > "adobe" > "Adobe Photoshop CS4"

Look for the "Presets" folder then "Scripts"

Look in this folder, can you see a folder called "Cowlib" ?

If "Cowlib" exists is there a file inside called "Cow_Library.lib" ?

Cheers Darren
No, there isnt a "Cowlib" folder in the scripts folder.

Cheers Darren
No, there isnt a "Cowlib" folder in the scripts folder.

Something has gone wrong with the installation. Try installing it again, did you run the script? You could copy the "cowlib" folder from the zip file to this location and try again but easiest if you just try running the installer again.

Something has gone wrong with the installation. Try installing it again, did you run the script? You could copy the "cowlib" folder from the zip file to this location and try again but easiest if you just try running the installer again.

Thanks a lot Darren. I did copy and paste "Cowlib", and it all looks fine, I can have a play now.
Thanks again and will be in touch (y)

Right, I have now updated post #9 which is the installation instructions.

There are numerous versions of Windows plus MacOS and numerous versions of Photoshop PLUS some people run more than one version of Photoshop so it would be as big a task creating an all singing all dancing version of the installer that worked in every situation so I have now included MANUAL installation instructions.

You can also use these to install Script Writer on TWO/THREE/FOUR different versions of Photoshop at the same time.

guys, can't find my install files for cs4 - anyone got a copy of the cow_library.lib they could send over!! would like to give this a try too

Just re-download the zip file earlier in the thread. Remember it is now version 2.15 so you need all the files from the same version.

Back