New sensor Nikon D3, worth it?

Name
Denis
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have just been informed that the sensor on my D3 has some un removable marks.

wanted to sell the camera, but this sort of stops me in my tracks.

I suppose the D3 would be worth somewhere in the £400 area, as the body is in very good condition and the shutter count is relatively low at about 90,000.
Searched online for a repair, but can’t find anyone who lists this repair.

Also, if the repair is anywhere around £300, then it is a bit uneconomical to repair.

Appreciate any comments, otherwise is there somewhere that buys camera for parts?

Pity, but change of plans means the D3 must go.

I doubt very much the sensor has unremovable marks. How can it have?
Get a second opinion. Or remove them yourself. How can a sensor have unremovable marks!

I doubt very much the sensor has unremovable marks. How can it have?
Get a second opinion. Or remove them yourself. How can a sensor have unremovable marks!
By being a scratch?

Or been on there long enough to "weld" to the surface?

Or the person that said this wasn't qualified to remove them

I trust the appraisal of the camera sensor..
Put my D3 in for part exchange with a well known , reputable, online camera dealer.

I will have to wait for the camera to be returned.

Will have a look at the sensor, and take some images to see what I can find.

removed, didn't read the question properly despite having all the time in the world :D

Last edited:
Not so much GAS, but a change of direction.

Still want a digital camera, but no longer going to shoot wildlife.

Sold my D500 and (hopefully) D3, and 200 - 500 f5.6

My prefered usage is now 35mm film.

Just wanted to simplify my photo gear for a full frame camera ( want a Df) with old fashioned dials, just don't get on with menus....

Able to use all my differing Nikon lenses.

A “ reputable” camera dealer won’t touch it with a barge pole . They have to re.sell it ... unless the sensor is scratched ( no idea how that happens btw) I think a good wet clean will remove any marks .

I agree, I wouldn't feel comfortable re selling with this doubt and information.

That's just me....

A “ reputable” camera dealer won’t touch it with a barge pole . They have to re.sell it ... unless the sensor is scratched ( no idea how that happens btw) I think a good wet clean will remove any marks .

It will but if it’s scratched it’s scratched.

always baffled me why they refuse due to sensor marks and not just lower the condition rating in that case but then again on the flip side of the coin I guess it’s something that does effect IQ you can argue if you stop down etc

I agree, I wouldn't feel comfortable re selling with this doubt and information.

That's just me....

If I was you I would list it up on eBay best bet, still lots of people im sure that would buy it for how it is.

always baffled me why they refuse due to sensor marks and not just lower the condition rating in that case but then again on the flip side of the coin I guess it’s something that does effect IQ you can argue if you stop down etc

MPB have a D4s or D4 ( cant remember ) with "marks on the sensor" faulty spares or repair.
They priced it lower but i doubt they will sell it for their asking price, they probably got it for next to nothing and are trying it on.

A scratch is very different to a blob of dirt or a hair. You can play with a piece of glass. It will have shiny thin edges under observation with some small source of light (like the phone LED).

Even if is a single (or 2) small scratch somewhere in the periphery it is no worse than having a few regular bunnies. Chances are it will clean with isopropanol in a few attempts, but if not it is still probably a useful camera. There is nothing wrong with selling it for these residual values considering this is clearly declared... And I bet there are budget buyers that will be happy with a cut price grade C purchase... Or you can keep it for those extreme days out in the rain or dirt. It's not exactly a gold mine now.

P.S. It is always a poor value to trade in or up via these commercial entities. I much prefer selling and buying on ebay or forums.

I sort of agree about selling to a website, they need to make a profit.

But it does offer some advantages (at a cost).

I couldn’t find a Nikon Df new, as it has been discontinued, and they had a few in mint condition at and acceptable cost.

My critical eyesight isn’t what it once was, and selling an older body , in this case, quite a bit, is always subjective in terms of product description.

I might give it away to someone I know who could use it as their started body.

D500 was much better than the D3, night and day.

The only downside I found with the D500 was the ISO performance.

Having said that, I used a 200 500 f5.6 lens.

Using manual with auto iso.

Typically f5.6 with about 1/2000th shutter speed, ISO was ok (ish).

But auto focus was very good.

Thanks

As I thought, not worth the repair cost

Might be worth investing in some sensor swabs and cleaning fluid . It’s literally a few minutes job to properly wet clean a sensor and a full frame is easiest of the lot .
A shop will charge a extortionate amount but do it yourself and it’s sub £20 , plus it’s a simple job

will investigate when returned

I think that's the best thing to do instead of us all jumping the gun. They have said "un-removable marks" after all. Not damaged or scratched.

Plus, it can't be that badly marked/damaged as you would have known about it yourself from your images whilst editing.

Fingers crossed it just needs a good clean.

Does this retailer rhyme with Mex??
If so - it’s not uncommon for this to be reported and usually means a drop in the grading.
They’ll usually test it to determine if there’s any affect on the image.

It’s not with repairing and as you’ve not noticed in editing of the type of photography you do - it’s clearly not an issue.

Surely it depends nowhere the marks on the sensor are are well. If they were somewhere on the periphery and was barely visible then it wouldn't put me off buying if the price was right. It's still a great camera.

Which company gave The sensor marks report please dennis .. I’m rather suspicious as that’s exactly the same terminology that m.p.b have just given on my p.x deal camera ... makes me wonder if they are rejecting older models ab-lib .. I will be checking mine thoroughly on return and as has been stated in this thread by several members there is no such thing as a un.removable sensor mark .
I’m more than peeved as I could have listed mine on e.bay with less hassle

Last edited:
Yes, I have had the D3 back.

Using a torch I can see small marks that are not dust related.

I have always cleaned sensors myself without any issues.

Can only assume that these were there when I bought the camera used, and never really notice them.

Nevertheless, I have sold the body as it is surplus to requirements.

yes, MPB

I had this with a D800 - probably too coarse with the DIY cleaning of my D800 - never affected IQ but in the end I just gave it away as I was in the same boat as the OP. Even stopped down I couldn't see them in my pictures.

I pay very occassionally now for a professional clean at A J Johnstone in Glasgow and never had that with any other camera. I think they are very fragile these sensors.

Back