New Short Zoom for Nikon

I have the 18-70 kit lens but ordered the Sigma 24-60mm f2.8 to replace it last week, it should arrive sometime this week, I'll let you know my thoughts.

I agree with the others, the 'standard' Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5 - 4.5 is a fantastic lens, as good as my works Canon 17-40mm 'L' model for image quality. Plus, you can get them for about £150 (or less), which in my eyes is a bleedin' bargainarooney!!

I have the sigma 24-70mm F2.8 to fill the gap between my 10-20 & 70-300VR , so far very pleased with it.

LL if you have the 18-70 why are you looking at the 50-150, for that extra reach?

Looking to use mine for people pics so i can get from head shots through to full body without moving mine :LOL:, which I cant do with the 50 alone or have to get too far back with the 70-300.

Dogfish is the extra stop of the sigma worth going for over the nikon do you know?

Kevin

I had the Nikon 18-70 with my D70s and it was an excellent lens , but having f2.8 available throughout the full zoom range is great for lower light levels and DOF control.

The quality is also very good, pics 1 & 3 Here were taken with it.

Basically yes Kev, I am planning on getting the sigma 120-300, so need something that will fill the gap. There was nothing that specifically came in between 70-and 120 that i liked and had the f2.8 I wanted, so started reading round on the sigma 50-150. I will still use the 18-70 but it will be accompanied by the 50-150 depending what is planned that day, which has that extra bit of reach and the bigger aperture. The only other upgrade I plan is eventually to replace the 18-70 with its v.expensive sibling, the nikon 24-70 f2.8

I damaged my Nikon 18-70mm a couple of months ago and replaced it with the Nikon 16-85mm VR. A wider range than the 18-70mm, and VR as well. :D I got to test it out in anger over the weekend and it seemed to work fine with lots of sharp images even wide open (I wanted a fast shutter speed to freeze action). It's good to go a bit wider and zoom a bit further, and also have a nice overlap between that and the 70-300mm I have. :) At the same event last year I was undecided between the 18-70mm and the 70-300mm as the subject was just on the edge of each lens' range, that extra 15mm came in handy this year. :D

The 16-85mm is something to consider. ;)

Back