New Sigma 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DG MACRO

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes

New 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DG MACRO

Digitally optimised super zoom lens with a 10.7x zoom magnification.

Sigma has today announced the launch of the new 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DG Macro lens. This digitally optimised zoom lens provides a high zoom magnification of 10.7x. The new lens coating reduces flare and ghosting, a common problem with digital cameras and also creates an optimum color balance.The 10.7x zoom ratio covers a wide range of focal length from wide angle to tele-photo making this a highly versatile lens ideally suited for many types of photography. This lens features two Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass elements and four Aspherical Lenses, to produce a high level of optical performance. Aspherical lenses provide excellent correction for all types of aberration while making a very compact construction possible.

The 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DG MACRO lens has a minimum focusing distance of 50cm at all focal lengths and is equipped with a macro mechanism for close-up photography at 300mm telephoto, allowing a reproduction ratio of 1:3.

28-300mm-DG---2.jpg

The zoom lock switch eliminates ‘zoom creep’ during transportation, a convenient addition when traveling. The inner focusing system gives the advantage of a non-rotating front lens assembly, which is of great benefit when using polarizing filter and the matched Petal-shaped lens hood supplied.

THE SPECIFICATIONS

Focal Length : 28-300mm
Minimum Aperture : F22
Lens Construction : 15 Elements in 13 Groups
Angle of View : 75.4°- 8.2°
Number of Diaphragm Blades : 8pcs
Minimum Focusing Distance : 50cm /(19.6”)
Maximum Magnification : 1:3
Filter Size : 62mm
Lens Hood : Petal Hood
Dimensions : Diameter 74mm (2.9”) x Length 86mm (3.3”)
Weight : 490gr/17.2oz
Fittings : Sigma, Canon and Nikon-D
(Konica/Minolta and Pentax TBA)

SRP :£229.99

l New multi layer lens coating minimises flare and ghosting, a common problem with Digital SLR cameras.
l Wide angle, Standard, Telephoto and Close up, the all-purpose zoom lens.
l Two SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass elements and four Aspherical Lenses produce superior optical performance.

Looks small. I hope it turns out to be a nice lens, its got a good range to it.

does look good doesnt it, no idea what its like though...i would consider something like this after the weekends on/off lens hell!

You need to remember none of these Sigma releases are 'new' lenses, they are just updates of the current line. All they have done is apply a different coating to a couple of the elements in each to supposedly make them more digitally suitable. The older 28-300 was nothing to write home about by all reports and I can't see this one being any better, bear in mind it's not an APO lens.

I also suspect that the speed of this lens may be an issue in this country, F6.3 @ 300mm is not exactly fast.

For the money and size and as long as the quality is good, it will find its way into some customers bags though.

Back