New Sony DSLT camera

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
Just seen this, it's full-frame and seems pretty good from reading the spec.

Similar price to a Canon 5dMkIII - thoughts?

Personally between that and a 5D or any Sony DSLR/SLT, I would still opt for the Canon. Sure Sony have taken tech from KM but honestly, I still favour the affordability of the Canon lineup for accessories/lenses.

Old news, currently overpriced imo :)
Well, it's not actually on sale yet so prices are still msrp unlike products that have been on sale for a while & where the street price is dropping.
This will happen with A99 too.
For certain people some of it's features will be compelling & for others they won't - it was ever thus ;).

Hopefully soon as its an intriguing camera, but not at MSRP. Im sure there will be early adopters.

it looks like Sony may have dropped the launch price by £200 - it'll still get cheaper if we wait though ;)

far too expensive in my opinion- I'll stick with my a65 for now

However: should the price drop below the £2k mark I may think differently

Les :D

My brother bought one from Amazon about a month ago - I think its a bit expensive for what it is - but he loves it
lol

If you don't believe that Canon is infinitely better try them both. Sony has no real viewfinder, just a battery eating gimmick, poor battery (at least the a3-55 series are dreadful), much lesser AF, and so on. Oh, and did someone mention there are lots more lenses for canon, and they are better? Flash? Same too.

daugirdas said:
If you don't believe that Canon is infinitely better try them both. Sony has no real viewfinder, just a battery eating gimmick, poor battery (at least the a3-55 series are dreadful), much lesser AF, and so on. Oh, and did someone mention there are lots more lenses for canon, and they are better? Flash? Same too.

PDAF in video
1080/60p
IBIS
Live view that actually works
Zeiss lenses with AF
MF peaking
Better colour and DR

Canon are no way 'infinitely' better at all.

The EVF on the Sony A65/77 simply rocks. For most practical uses it's far superior to an optical with the possible exception of sports photography.

The information you get through the EVF is far better than OVF. The SLT brings real advantages. I never use the LCD panel on my A77. No need to.

Of course you will get purists arguing that OVF gives them more dynamic range blah blah but the reality is you want to see what you will get. Sony EVF is WYSIWIG. OVF's are WYSIWI(hope I will)G.

Yes battery life is worse but then there are plenty of cheapo batteries around. I have three for my A77. Never ran out of juice yet at a wedding.

No clacky mirror means SLT shutter is very quiet. It's like quiet mode but on all the time.

The A55 gives you 10FPS, A77 12FPS. What does the equivalently priced Canon's give you? 4? maybe 5?

And as for lenses. Yes the range is larger for Canon. Practically all the lenses you would ever want are there. The only notable missing lens is a Sony 70-200 f4. That said, Nikon have only now announced theirs.

Oh and don't forget all Sony bodies have IS built into the body. Stick any lens on and it's stabilised. No need to pay more. Even my trusty little prime lens is stablised. The old Minolta beer can lens I have is 70-210 f4...ancient but cracking little lens. Slap it on and guess what....stablised! Oh wait. I guess Sony do have an f4 lens!

Flash? Again same thing. How many flashes do you want? I can see Sony/Minolta flashes, Jessops, Metz, heck even Yongnuo sell Sony versions.

Does Canon have manual focus peaking? That saved me a lot of faff a while back when at my photo club we were doing water droplet photos. Spirit level? Very useful for when I do landscapes.

Phase detect AF for video?

I love being able to review my photos in the EVF too. Dead useful on bright sunny days, when you need to be discrete or even just so you don't have to take the eye off the EVF.

The biggest downsides for me of the Sony is the noise performance at higher ISO's. This is about the only reason I got a D700. Once the prices of the A99 come down to a sensible level, I may well be tempted to swap back.

Lastly Canon....seriously. If I'm paying £2k+ for a camera, please give me a rear thumb wheel dial. Nikon do it....Sony do it....Pentax do it. Why not?

<and breathe.....> :LOL:

This is my long post about one camera being better than the other...

...all models have their own advantages.

Last edited:
Pentax also have stabilized bodies. They still uuuuugly. Sony not too far behind. They are getting a bit nicer looking though, and the grip has certainly improved. And before some Sony user bites my head off, my first dslr was an A200 and I used minolta lenses. If I'd stuck with Sony, the A99 is what I would have right now. When I switched from that A200 to a Nikon D200 though, there was no going back ...

Last edited:
In reality you are comparing between the ergonomics of entry & pro level bodies rather than between manufacturers.
had you gone to an A700 or A900 (or indeed a Canon pro body) it may have been very different ;)

I looked at higher spec Sony bodies before deciding on a used D200. At the time it was too good a deal not to go for. The A700 was hot at the time.

If anyone's interested, Jessops are now showing the a99 as in stock for home delivery in 2-3 working days. It doesn't appear to be available in-store, yet.

Wex are expecting a delivery of the a99 + grip and batteries either tomorrow or early next week. However, theyre not expecting to get the body-only delivery until the end of November.

HTH

Back