New Strap 500mmf4

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking for a new strap for my 500mmf4 and was considering the Peak Design Slide, but I'm a little unsure about the anchors and their ability to support such a large, heavy lens, I know they are rated to 90kgs so I guess it comes down to how much confidence you have in them.

So, is anyone using this system with a super tele and how does it fair?

I had also looked at the Black Rapid Sling, which I prefer, but my Wimberley Arca Swiss plate on the lens foot won't take the FASTENR5 fixing point and the Black Rapid plates are a bit too small.

Thanks @GeordieStew good to know about the buckles, if I end up with one the buckles will probably be at there furthest points or there abouts.

I'm looking for a new strap for my 500mmf4 and was considering the Peak Design Slide, but I'm a little unsure about the anchors and their ability to support such a large, heavy lens, I know they are rated to 90kgs so I guess it comes down to how much confidence you have in them.

So, is anyone using this system with a super tele and how does it fair?

I had also looked at the Black Rapid Sling, which I prefer, but my Wimberley Arca Swiss plate on the lens foot won't take the FASTENR5 fixing point and the Black Rapid plates are a bit too small.
I have a Whimberley C-12 AS clamp on my Black Rapid strap. Works a treat and makes attaching & detaching AS configured lens feet and bodies easy.

The grub screws on the C-12 secure the BR Fastener screw with its rubber washer very firmly.

Last edited:
strap.jpgI have been contemplating a strap for my 500/4. I got a Benro PU 100 plate (Swiss Arca style) that allow two fasteners and one with the thingy allowing you to attach a Blackrapid - see image... I am not overly confident how strong this set up us to be honest. My gimbal originally came with the PL100 but that only has 1 screw not 2 so a bit hopeless overall, the PU is much better. I fancy checking out the Peak Design set up....

Well this is a timely post!
I've just bought a 400 2.8 to pair with a Nikon D5 and having to overcome a similar hurdle. (I use Black Rapid stuff)
I have a Wimberly P-20 "Arca Swiss" plate which I can mount to the Nikon's foot at two points preventing any sudden un-expected slippage.
I've then drilled and tapped an extra hole in the plate to accept the Black Rapid eye. It's not as elegant as I would like but seems to work and is well balanced...there is a more elegant solution which would elable me to use the Black Rapid eye at the second mounting point. This would involve a bit of milling to the Wimberley plate and I don't have such facilities (I'll look for a small local engineering shop.). This would have the benefit of bit more adjustment room on the sliding plate
Excuse the dusty 'phone pics. (y)

EDIT. Crossed post with @welshwizard645 :)

Attachments

• 20240122_140952.jpg
    20240122_140952.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240122_141014.jpg
    20240122_141014.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240122_140857.jpg
    20240122_140857.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240122_140835.jpg
    20240122_140835.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I carry a D850 with a Sigma 60-600mm lens on a PD Slide with one anchor connected to the lens and the other to a camera lug. I have no fears about it dropping (although the first few times out I was little wary, but unnecessarily). I have a Black Rapid Breathe but don't trust the tripod-screw mounting method with heavy kit.

Thanks guys...the info is much appreciated.

I have to say I really like the Kirk Enterprises Security Strap but, as mentioned it might be hard to get hold of.

If I were to buy the Black Rapid then I would also buy a Wimberley C-30 clamp to accommodate the large plate on the lens foot, in total that's probably going to cost about £180

But...if I go the Peak Design route of the Slide and 4 extra anchors, that can be used on other lenses and cameras, then that's a total of £76

Will have a think about it over the weekend, though I might be edging towards Peak Design just for the ease of use and packability.

FWIW I have the Kes SS-1 strap but yet to use it.

Why? well with my BR with C-12 clamp I need to disconnect the two to use my Monopod but the SS-1 will go directly to the Monopod while still attached to the strap........or that was my reasoning. Oh! IIRC I bought it from the linked company in post #13

Back