New Strap......update...

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone have any recomendations on a new strap for use on my 20D?

I'm getting fed up with the canon item

It gives me a pain in the neck......really, it does :LOL: if i carry the camera round my neck for long periods of time, and i'm getting really hacked off with the marks it creates on the body of the camera.
the plastic sleeves on the strap chaffe on the body and leave a greyish mark which I fear will become permanant over the coming weeks.

So, something with a little more padding in the neck area and a non marking build would be ideal.

See if you can get hold of a 10D strap, it has felt in the centre so its comfortable on the neck.
The rest of the strap is just webbing material, unlike the newer straps supplied with the 20D and pro models.

Or have a look at 7dayshop.
The neoprene ones look good, but I don't know how they'd fare after a few years of abuse.

Hi Matt

I've been doing some googling and think i've found something that looks promising, it's also being endorsed and marketed by another forum...:eek:

The company who make it is called op-tech, just mooching round for a UK supplier.

Anyone heard of or used them ?

Would that be the comfort strap or the fashion strap.

The comfort strap is made from neoprene.

digitalfailure said:
Hi Matt

I've been doing some googling and think i've found something that looks promising, it's also being endorsed and marketed by another forum...:eek:

The company who make it is called op-tech, just mooching round for a UK supplier.

Anyone heard of or used them ?

I use the Optech Pro strap which you can get at http://www.warehouseexpress.co.uk/ for £16.95 + P&P. It's a good strong strap that really takes the weight off your shoulder and doesn't slip off easily.

How good are the clips on these straps?

I'd hate to see one come undone accidentally.

Matt said:
How good are the clips on these straps?

I'd hate to see one come undone accidentally.

They're made of very strong plastic with good strong clips. I can't see how they could become detached accidentally.

I have the Lowepro neoprene strap fitted to both my 10D and 20D; they make both cameras much more comfortable to carry; they also have quick release clips to enable you to remove them when needed (e.g. when fitted to a tripod - you won't get the strap caught on legs etc).

Plus they don't say "Steal me" in big bold letters!

I used to use a neoprene strap on my old Pentax film camera, it made a huge difference when carrying it around all day. My 300D has no neck strap at all but a home made neoprenish hand strap attached to the battery grip that I find very comfortable to use, I can grip the camera or let go completely and let it hang by the strap from my hand quite safely.

I hate the 20D strap, it's too wide and to remove and replace the strap is a real fiddly job.

Thanks for the warehouse express link, i'm looking closely at the pro series strap.

I like the idea of a wider strap to help spread the load a little, and when i'm in a position to get a new telephoto lens the extra weight won't be so much of a problem.

A wee update on this for any who are interested.

I got hold of one of these OP/TECH pro straps today and i'm over the moon with it.

the strap is sooooo comfy, even with a long(ish) lens on.

The strap appears to be very well made and should last well.

I managed to find one in my local camera shop, so I got to have a fondle of it before parting with my hard earned cash :D

If the standard Canon strap gives you a pain in the neck, you should deffinately go and buy one of these straps, well worth 16 and a half notes.

digitalfailure said:
A wee update on this for any who are interested.

I got hold of one of these OP/TECH pro straps today and i'm over the moon with it.

the strap is sooooo comfy, even with a long(ish) lens on.

The strap appears to be very well made and should last well.

I managed to find one in my local camera shop, so I got to have a fondle of it before parting with my hard earned cash :D

If the standard Canon strap gives you a pain in the neck, you should deffinately go and buy one of these straps, well worth 16 and a half notes.

Ok :) sounds like i need to have a mooch ! :)

Was it a chain camera shop or an independant ? ;)

How much, what colour and where from? Come on, don't keep it to yourself :shock:

You can get these straps from various places, but I'm a tight git and wanted to see it before I part with the cash.

They can be bought direct from HERE

I also found that jessops are a reseller for them, but their website said 2 to 4 weeks !! :eek:, I couldn't face going into their shops in Chester because one of the assistants scares me :(

In the end I nipped in to the Chester branch of the London Camera Exchange and bought it from there.

I opted for the Black pro version, this one has 3/8 webbing to go through the camera loops the same as the Canon straps where as the loop version has chord loops.

It cost me £16.95, which I think is a bargain for the extra comfort alone.

Another great touch is the QR buckles which let you take the strap off the camera to stop it getting in the way (tripod use), but you can also join the QR's together to turn it into a small hand loop.

Cheers for that info buddy. I have a London Camera Exchange near me so I may call in there if I get a minute, if not I will keep my eyes open while on my travels. I think just like you I would like to view the strap before I part with my hard earned first :)

Well worth taking the time to check them out Steve.

Another strap that seems to get good feedback was the UPstrap, but to me it looked a bit naff, so I did'nt bother to search for one, it's also more expensive.

The OP/TECH item is made from a thick neoprene material about 4mm thick so it's nice and soft, it's also a good inch or so wider than the Canon strap to help transfer the weight over a wider area,

It really is true what they say about your kit feeling lighter...........( :eek: )

Another nice touch is the way that the neoprene is attached to the main strap. it's done with a little slack every 2 inches or so, this allows the whole strap to give a little and stretch. Already after such a short time I've noticed that you don't get the same degree of jolting in the neck with every step.

I'm going to go now before I sound too much like a marketing gimp.

Go buy OP/TECH............................................. :D

IanC_UK said:
Hmmm how about a group buy ? ;)

You volunteering Ian? :D You could put me down for one straight away.

I think you should run it by Steve as a courtesy. I'm in anyway.

Good man Ian! 8)

I hate the 20D strap, it's a real pain to thread again if you remove it. Just to be able to clip it on and off would be heaven.

I have no objections if you contact them Ian to find out the details if they are interested in supplying us. However I am not too sure it will be worth all the effort. I would by one and some of the others have already expressed an interest, however one person will have to collect all the money and order, then receive the straps and package them up individually and send them out to our members. The costs in term of postage and packing plus your time would probably be more than the potential saving from a group buy? Still, I suppose it costs nothing to ask?

Maybe start by collecting a list of definate names to give you an idea of the size of the order?

Steve said:
I have no objections if you contact them Ian to find out the details if they are interested in supplying us. However I am not too sure it will be worth all the effort. I would by one and some of the others have already expressed an interest, however one person will have to collect all the money and order, then receive the straps and package them up individually and send them out to our members. The costs in term of postage and packing plus your time would probably be more than the potential saving from a group buy? Still, I suppose it costs nothing to ask?

Maybe start by collecting a list of definate names to give you an idea of the size of the order?

Thats what i thought Steve, costs nothing to ask, and it could save some cash ! If it doesnt work out cheaper then it wouldnt be worth doing, but until we have asked whos to know ! :)

And NO im not going to try it with a 100-400 !!! ;) lol

Just buy a Nikon and get a really great strap for free.
In fact buy my D1X now.
No, really...
I mean it...

Arkady said:
Just buy a Nikon and get a really great strap for free.
In fact buy my D1X now.
No, really...
I mean it...

ahh but that would make it possibly the most expensive strap in the world :LOL:

Have spoken to the distributor, and as expected they are not to keen to upset their retailer base, they can do mail order at the £16.95 retail price plus postage.

Jessops do them for £14.90 plus £1.95 postage.

http://www.jessops.com/search/dointellisearch.cfm?node=206

Next stage will be to try a couple of the retailers, see if they are willing to come to an arrangement !!!

Hmmm. I wouldn't knock yourself out Ian, it doesn't sound like any saving is really going to be worth the hassle.

CT said:
Hmmm. I wouldn't knock yourself out Ian, it doesn't sound like any saving is really going to be worth the hassle.

I would have to agree with CT here. Although your intentions are noble in the end I very much doubt that there will be any savings to be had in the end.

Steve said:
CT said:

I would have to agree with CT here. Although your intentions are noble in the end I very much doubt that there will be any savings to be had in the end.

I suspect you are right, had to try though ! :)

I guess the problem here is that its not of high enough value to have much of a margin on it to do a decent deal !

Back