Hi,
So I’m looking now to upgrade my telephoto lens on my D7500,
I currently have the Tamron SP 70-300 Di lens, which is great,
But I’m looking at more zoom now and can’t decide on what to get,
Has to be either the Tamron 150-600mm G2 or the Nikon 200-500mm VR,
I’m mainly leaning towards the Tamron,
Does anyone have this lens and can recommend it and have any sample photos,
Thank you.

Have you seen the Sigma 150-600 contemporary thread ?

It seems to have a good following and the people there seem to get really nice photos.

Actually I decided not to get such a lens because I can just admire what they did hahahaha

Last edited:
Oh wow,
They look fantastic,
Nice and sharp too,
I have been looking on the flikr discussion as above and there’s some cracking shots with that lens,
Think my mind is made up after seeing them pics
I’m sure my aircraft shots will be real good with it,
Hmm, now to convince myself to part with the pennies to buy it

I hired the g2 at Christmas - fantastic lens, theres a couple of shots in the d500 thread. It's the one I'm going to go for

Is that the 150-600? What camera?
Yes 150-600mm Tamron 150-600mm with the D750. IIRC most are cropped, you never have enough reach ;)

Great, this lens seems to have a good following,
I think it’s what I’ll have to have,
I’m unsure on sigma as I don’t know if it’s their latest one,
If I’m spending around £1200 then I want the latest if I can get it,
That way it should be enough for me for a good few years

Only get the latest if it's actually better than the previous model. It usually is, but sometimes it's not quite so good in some possibly important respect.

@Liam_89

Don't fall into the trap of splashing a lot of money out on a lens because you've seen great results with it on the internet, then maybe being a bit dismayed when you start using it.

I'd highly suggest using Lensesforhire.co.uk and seeing what you think of it beforehand. Hire it for a weekend or so maybe?

TBH if I was spending £1200 and wasn't bothered about the weight I'd get the Sigma 150-600mm SPORT as it's the best of the superzooms. At 2.9kg 9vs 1.9kg of the Tamron and Sigma Contemporary) it's a heavy beast and not something that is easy to hand hold.

Only get the latest if it's actually better than the previous model. It usually is, but sometimes it's not quite so good in some possibly important respect.
Very true. Optically there's not a lot in the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Tamrons so the Gen 1 is a relative bargain. Of course the Gen 2 has better AF, and better sealing (the Gen 1 is a bit of a dust pump), but if the final result is all that matters then save your money and get the Gen 1.

@Liam_89

Don't fall into the trap of splashing a lot of money out on a lens because you've seen great results with it on the internet, then maybe being a bit dismayed when you start using it.

I'd highly suggest using Lensesforhire.co.uk and seeing what you think of it beforehand. Hire it for a weekend or so maybe?
Totally agree about looking at images online. Whilst it is good to get a 'reference' most images online have had processing done to them so they are usually an example of what can be achieved with the lens and the right kind of processing. That being said, for the most part I don't tend to process my images a lot.

Personally I wouldn't hire a lens just to see if I wanted to buy it though. You'll be talking the best part of £100 I'd have thought to hire these lenses, which is money chucked down the drain. Just go to a store with your camera and a memory card and take some test shots and then analyse them when you get home. My local (ish) camera store lets me take gear outside to try so I can have real world examples rather than just taking shots in a poorly lit shop.

Have you considered a used sigma 120-300 os hsm with a tc?

You should be able to pick these up for around your budget. Will be faster at long end (the bit that matters most). I use it with a 1.4 tc and think the iq is better than my 150-600c which feels a bit soft at the big end. Never tried with 1.7

If you dont need more than 300mm on crop for some shoots then you have a 2.8 fast zoom available

One other thing is to consider what you shoot. The 200-500 is great but the wide end is 300mm equivalent so unless you're committed to wildlife / birds etc, it might be too long. Even 150mm is pretty long at times if that's all you've got to hand

Back