New to digital cameras please advise me! Which camera to buy.

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, my old camera is the Olympus OM20 SLR so you can tell I’m old school.
I have been searching for the ideal digital camera for me. Ideally I think I want something that has at least 5fps facility, WiFi, autofocus that’s fast. Id like to use if to capture wildlife so I’m thinking a 70-300mm extra lens as well as the standard lens. I need to be able to download to my iPad Pro.
ive looked at the Nikon d3500 but I’m put off by the reviews on the download app required but I’m impressed by the battery life. then I’ve looked at the canon eos2000d which fits my needs but it has a slow FPS option , only 3 fps but low battery life.
as you can tell my price range is around the £500 mark.
both these cameras have bundle options which can include the 70-300mm lens as well as the standard lens.
im not keen to buy from a supplier outside uk having been burned once by a company professing to be in uk but latterly I found they’re in China if they exist at all.
‘also, I realise this is a lot of info to consider but I have a variety of om20 lenses Which it would be nice if I could use these with an adaptor.
anyway, any advice would be appreciated on what camera I should choose.
thank you

As an older Olympus user maybe the E-M5MK3 ?

I think it is @the black fox who is using old lenses with an adaptor to good effect who might be able to give some insight on that aspect?

HTH a little :)

Yep couple of in budget options there if you have four thirds lenses .which Ones they are you don’t list . ....

anyway a Olympus omd-em1 can be used they normally retail around £250 used from the likes of wex so carry 12 months warranty the only extra you will need is a Mmf-3 adaptor

if your budget is a bit more flexible a omd1-mkii can be had for £500-£750 .. the latter being a far faster camera for wildlife . I use a 50-200 SWD and ec-14 tc which gives 283mm focal length and is still fast enough for b.i.f ..

plenty of my pics on here and Flickr for you to judge yourself

Jeff, Simon doesn't have 43 lenses, they're original OM film lenses so won't work with the MMF-3.

Jeff, Simon doesn't have 43 lenses, they're original OM film lenses so won't work with the MMF-3.

Oooops! my bad.....of course the original Olympus SLR was 35mm film ~ doh! But can those old lenses be used successfully with an adaptor on the mFT bodies???

Scrap the Wi-Fi and just get a sd card reader to fit your iPad. Opens up a lot more choice, is faster and more reliable.

Oooops! my bad.....of course the original Olympus SLR was 35mm film ~ doh! But can those old lenses be used successfully with an adaptor on the mFT bodies???
Probably in manual mode and possibly A but it's not something I've ever wanted to do as I had enough of manual everything when I got my first SLR, almost fifty years ago.

I don’t know what camera you will buy but make sure it is the right one for you. Do not settle for I will get used to it. You are buying into a system. There are ways to transfer your pictures to your iPad. Get a short list of cameras and try them out. Chose the one that is right for you. God luck

You'll struggle to shoot wildlife with a 70-300mm to be blunt, I use a 200-600mm Sony and I struggle some time with distance to subject and I'm an avid wildlife photographer

I use Sony a7Riii and a Sony a7Riv to complement the above lens ( for wildlife/birds) although these are a little outside your budget :)

I suggest a mirrorless system maybe a thing you should have a look at

Les :sony:

Ps: welcome to the forum

Whichever one you buy, there'll be someone here to tell you it was the wrong choice and someone to tell you it was the right choice...

As long as it makes a good approximation of capturing what you want, at a price you're willing to pay then it's working for you.

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

Good luck with your choice :fuji:

Back